Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Leading up to the new year were a whole bunch of threads from users complaining about all the newbies who would be joining THEIR gym (because clearly only their money counts). Threads about how the newbies would be taking up all the equipment, using it wrong, and how the newbies should just hurry up with failing so the gym can be less crowded again. It was almost as though people thought these newbies didn't belong at THEIR gym (seriously, the newbies money was probably worth less than their money right?). It was almost as though people wished the newbies would all go someplace else. Like, hmm, I dunno, a gym aimed at newbies?

i admit that this happens a lot. i hate it and would burn every one of those threads to the ground if i had time. i'm pretty consistent on crushing the OP when i see one of those threads.

buuuuuut, no one in those threads is actually suggesting that anyone openly mock the new people to their face or lay hands upon anyone. so by refusing to go to a "regular" gym you're basically saying that you're scared of thoughts.

.....and what makes you think that no one at your local PF doesn't have ill thoughts about you? are PF goers a monolith?

Ironically I find that these threads are mostly started by the 'nouveau-fit' - those that have been going to the gym for less than a year themselves.

agreed. i remember one "oh noes here come the resolutioners" thread that was started by someone with a jan 2012 start date. not sure if it's that people forget what it was like to get started or if they think they are part of the cool kids now but either way it's hella annoying
    Joined Feb 2012

Okay, new guy. Welcome to MFP.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Leading up to the new year were a whole bunch of threads from users complaining about all the newbies who would be joining THEIR gym (because clearly only their money counts). Threads about how the newbies would be taking up all the equipment, using it wrong, and how the newbies should just hurry up with failing so the gym can be less crowded again. It was almost as though people thought these newbies didn't belong at THEIR gym (seriously, the newbies money was probably worth less than their money right?). It was almost as though people wished the newbies would all go someplace else. Like, hmm, I dunno, a gym aimed at newbies?

i admit that this happens a lot. i hate it and would burn every one of those threads to the ground if i had time. i'm pretty consistent on crushing the OP when i see one of those threads.

buuuuuut, no one in those threads is actually suggesting that anyone openly mock the new people to their face or lay hands upon anyone. so by refusing to go to a "regular" gym you're basically saying that you're scared of thoughts.

.....and what makes you think that no one at your local PF doesn't have ill thoughts about you? are PF goers a monolith?

Ironically I find that these threads are mostly started by the 'nouveau-fit' - those that have been going to the gym for less than a year themselves.

Im still pondering where these gyms with mean people are.I'm 47, been in gyms all over the USA at all different times of the day and have yet to encounter supposed lunkage. There is the occasional guy that's a little silly but those dudes are like strutting roosters and something to look at between sets.

I agree with the poster who said the intimidation is between ones own ears and they need to own and examine that. Even the whole supposed girl in the weight room thing. I fond that people who are decimated to anything are thrilled to help anyone who is interested. And if they don't want to help, they don't go over and kick sand in your face, FFS.

Agreed. I'm a guy with a pretty slight build, and I only recently started in the freeweights section. My lifts are pretty puny compared to others there, and frankly if ever there was a target it's a guy lifting 'girl weights'. But far from derision, judgement or ridicule, most people have been very friendly. The people that aren't friendly are just indifferent, and frankly I haven't spoke to them just as they haven't spoken to me, so I can hardly judge them for that.

I find that people are fairly serious and focused on what they are doing, but as soon as you talk to them for whatever reason, like asking for a spot, they'll open up and chat - at least for a minute until the next set :laugh:

And one time when I did fail a squat quite badly - went over forward and was saved by the pins - there was genuine concern that I had torn something. When I said I just screwed up and lost my balance, we chuckled about it and all went back to what we were doing.

I will go with this….I do not really talk in the gym ..but if someone asks me a spot then I will …or if someone asks me something I will talk for a minute…

There was a new guy DL'ing last week and the owner kind of gave him some grief about it..(I am not sure why, as I have been there over a year and DLing every week) but I tapped him on the shoulder and told him not to worry about it bc I DL all the time…

I like it when guys that don't lift venture into the free weight section ..just as long as they do not get in my way ..lol JK
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Joined Feb 2012

YOUR SO MEEN
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

agreed. i remember one "oh noes here come the resolutioners" thread that was started by someone with a jan 2012 start date. not sure if it's that people forget what it was like to get started or if they think they are part of the cool kids now but either way it's hella annoying
    Joined Feb 2012

*looks at Jof's start date*

*looks at my start date*

Get off my lawn. :angry:

:laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Joined Feb 2012

*looks at my start date*

That's fair.

Wait a second...I wasn't even on your lawn! I know this because I never leave *my* lawn. I stand constant vigil against youngens invading it with their whippersnapper ways.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Joined Feb 2012

*looks at my start date*

That's fair.

Wait a second...I wasn't even on your lawn! I know this because I never leave *my* lawn. I stand constant vigil against youngens invading it with their whippersnapper ways.

my avatar has the monopoly on telling all you young whippersnappers to get off her lawn, seeing as she's about 50,000 years old. And yes, she points that middle palaeolithic spear at them as she does this.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Joined Feb 2012

*looks at my start date*

That's fair.

my avatar has the monopoly on telling all you young whippersnappers to get off her lawn, seeing as she's about 50,000 years old. And yes, she points that middle palaeolithic spear at them as she does this.

/thread
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    You all had me scared for nothing! I finally got a chance to use the free weights at PF tonight. I was a little nervous since I was the only girl in that section, and it was my first time lifting away from home, but the couple of guys I asked for help were really nice about it. I DL'd and didn't get kicked out (whew!). I forgot to check for a squat rack. It was crowded, and I was too distracted in my corner. I was surprised at how big a lot of those guys were. I expected them all to be built like Shaggy from all the talk here. :huh:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness on Pizza Day & get on the treadmill when i'm full.....
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    wow. Imagine somebody who knew nothing going in there and thinking that is normal...That is about like somebody going on a cruise with cheese and crackers only to find at the end of the voyage that the price of the ticket covered the buffet.
  • mikeh78
    mikeh78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't expect anything less that serves pizza to their members and hands out tootsie rolls. But then again that is smart marketing for them to keep people signed up.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Wouldn't expect anything less that serves pizza to their members and hands out tootsie rolls. But then again that is smart marketing for them to keep people signed up.

I don't understand this. Are all the people who harp on this point non-pizza and tootsie roll eaters? I didn't see them chasing anyone down to shove a tootsie roll down their throat. I have no idea when pizza day is, but if I'm hungry, and it's there when I'm done with my workout, chances are pretty high I'll have room for a slice of pizza in my diary, and I'll take one. I have no shame. :tongue:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I don't understand this. Are all the people who harp on this point non-pizza and tootsie roll eaters? I didn't see them chasing anyone down to shove a tootsie roll down their throat. I have no idea when pizza day is, but if I'm hungry, and it's there when I'm done with my workout, chances are pretty high I'll have room for a slice of pizza in my diary, and I'll take one. I have no shame. :tongue:

No doubt. I'm not a big fan of Tootsie Rolls. (chocolate-wanna-be-MFers) But pizza is a staple and generally very nutrient dense.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Planet Treadmill

more like planet Deuche….

Planet Fitless

I'm partial to

Planet Fatness
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Planet Treadmill

Planet Fitless

I'm partial to

Planet Fatness

sofunny_zps671c0148.gif
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Planet Treadmill

Planet Fitless

I'm partial to

Planet Fatness

lol
  • ndj1979
    Options

No doubt. I'm not a big fan of Tootsie Rolls. (chocolate-wanna-be-MFers) But pizza is a staple and generally very nutrient dense.

something tells me the average PF goer is not going to burn enough calories with the kinds of work outs they are promoting to justify a couple slices of pizza after said workout...
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

something tells me the average PF goer is not going to burn enough calories with the kinds of work outs they are promoting to justify a couple slices of pizza after said workout...

Justify?? JUSTIFY???

You don't *justify* eating a couple of slices of pizza...

...you eat a couple of slices of pizza because it's delicious.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

My problem with Pizza Monday (1st monday of the month) is PF is just stuffed with people I never see there any other day of the month and I cant get to the machines or a treadmill. I generally run outside or take a rest day on that day because it's just too crowded. I forgot this month and add pizza monday to just after new years and you couldn't move in there at all.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Justify?? JUSTIFY???

You don't *justify* eating a couple of slices of pizza...

...you eat a couple of slices of pizza because it's delicious.

indeed.

I have a weekly pizza and have no guilt.

I think the issue is they are pushing a gym and that they are average and they are dealing with your average client who can't lose weight and has a hard time with gyms and anything SUPER DUPER FITNESSEY and they are throwing stuff in their face on a regular bases. Anyone who has any self control and hasn't met their goals will walk by- but a great deal of the people aren't that in that category- I just think it speaks more to the gym's "methods/marketing" and what they are built on that the actual pizza itself.