Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't expect anything less that serves pizza to their members and hands out tootsie rolls. But then again that is smart marketing for them to keep people signed up.

I don't understand this. Are all the people who harp on this point non-pizza and tootsie roll eaters? I didn't see them chasing anyone down to shove a tootsie roll down their throat. I have no idea when pizza day is, but if I'm hungry, and it's there when I'm done with my workout, chances are pretty high I'll have room for a slice of pizza in my diary, and I'll take one. I have no shame. :tongue:

No doubt. I'm not a big fan of Tootsie Rolls. (chocolate-wanna-be-MFers) But pizza is a staple and generally very nutrient dense.

something tells me the average PF goer is not going to burn enough calories with the kinds of work outs they are promoting to justify a couple slices of pizza after said workout...

You mean some people workout in order to burn calories?

Honestly, unless they aren't very bright and haven't figured out how to log in their food diary, then YES THEY CAN.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Justify?? JUSTIFY???

You don't *justify* eating a couple of slices of pizza...

...you eat a couple of slices of pizza because it's delicious.

Exactly. If something is both delicious *AND* nutritious, then it's something I eat on a regular basis. JoRocka said once a week. If I eat it *only* once a week, then I'm slipping. :smokin:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't expect anything less that serves pizza to their members and hands out tootsie rolls. But then again that is smart marketing for them to keep people signed up.

I don't understand this. Are all the people who harp on this point non-pizza and tootsie roll eaters? I didn't see them chasing anyone down to shove a tootsie roll down their throat. I have no idea when pizza day is, but if I'm hungry, and it's there when I'm done with my workout, chances are pretty high I'll have room for a slice of pizza in my diary, and I'll take one. I have no shame. :tongue:

No doubt. I'm not a big fan of Tootsie Rolls. (chocolate-wanna-be-MFers) But pizza is a staple and generally very nutrient dense.

something tells me the average PF goer is not going to burn enough calories with the kinds of work outs they are promoting to justify a couple slices of pizza after said workout...

You mean some people workout in order to burn calories?

Honestly, unless they aren't very bright and haven't figured out how to log in their food diary, then YES THEY CAN.

Oh come on. PF dummies are too stupid to figure that out and too fat to care! At least that's the gist I'm getting...
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

Justify?? JUSTIFY???

This is one of the many reasons I :heart: you!

I don't F around with my workouts, but whether I can burn enough calories or not, I can still fit pizza in there. Pffffft. Come on, man! :wink:
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I use Planet Fitness because it's cheap and 24hrs. Not sure judgment free is a good slogan if they are tossing around words like 'lunk'.. There is nothing wrong with people who grunt while lifting weights and there is also nothing wrong with people who pay hundreds of gym fees just to go in and walk on a treadmill for 30 minutes.

There are things about the place that bug me, but until I am a 'lunk', I'll be just fine at PF.
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    In 4 years Planet Fitness is going to be a New York style pizza delivery joint.

Like Planet Express from Futurama! Haha
  • brittigno07
    Options
    So glad Zip Fitness is in my area. $13 a month and I don't have to deal with "judgement free" BS.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Justify?? JUSTIFY???

indeed.

I have a weekly pizza and have no guilt.

I think the issue is they are pushing a gym and that they are average and they are dealing with your average client who can't lose weight and has a hard time with gyms and anything SUPER DUPER FITNESSEY and they are throwing stuff in their face on a regular bases. Anyone who has any self control and hasn't met their goals will walk by- but a great deal of the people aren't that in that category- I just think it speaks more to the gym's "methods/marketing" and what they are built on that the actual pizza itself.

my point is that most PF goers have probably not mastered the art of self control that most long term MFP users have...and two, have no idea how many calories in said slice of pizza vs how many calories they just burned off..
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

My problem with Pizza Monday (1st monday of the month) is PF is just stuffed with people I never see there any other day of the month and I cant get to the machines or a treadmill. I generally run outside or take a rest day on that day because it's just too crowded. I forgot this month and add pizza monday to just after new years and you couldn't move in there at all.

I was a little freaked out by the amount of people who were in there yesterday. The first time I went was NYE, and there was hardly anyone in there. Yesterday was a lifting day for me, and that room was crowded, too. I was able to get on a snoozemill for a little while afterward. I'm meeting with the trainer tonight to see if I want him to put a routine together for me, or stick with All Pro. Free pizza doesn't have that much power over me, I'm glad to say. If it's there, great, but I'm not scheduling my workouts around it.

Also, it's nice to know I'm now a PF fat dummy! :drinker:
  • juggz212
    Options
    If you're SERIOUS about your training don't go to this "gym"
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

I'll tell all the really jacked guys in the weight room you said that. :wink:
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

This thread is a perfect example of why they market themselves the way they do. Personally, I am glad all the "serious" folks are somewhere else. :o)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

This thread is a perfect example of why they market themselves the way they do. Personally, I am glad all the "serious" folks are somewhere else. :o)

Lulz
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I find it funny they took the squat racks out because they look intimidating....Whats next? free weights follwed by smith machines and then sleds....then finally the weight machines.....it will keep going untill PF is just a "cardio zone" because all weightlifting equipment is intimidating.
    There is a reason they are purple.
  • ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm a little upset at the departure of the squat racks. I preferred PF to the other gyms at my disposal because it is very clean. But I also know how to work out so it doesn't really matter what gym it is if it has the equipment I wanted. Probably going to cancel after this though. I rarely go anyways, since I'm always at the base gym (I'm military)
  • juggz212
    Options

what weight room?... ;)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    I find it funny they took the squat racks out because they look intimidating....Whats next? free weights follwed by smith machines and then sleds....then finally the weight machines.....it will keep going untill PF is just a "cardio zone" because all weightlifting equipment is intimidating.

I know, right?! Purple's for losers.

th?id=H.5041493959313619&pid=1.7

I'm just messing with you. :flowerforyou: I understand what "some" of you are saying, but I also think you get out of it what you put into it. I personally know a guy who works out at PF, and I don't think anyone here would look at him and say "he must work out at PF". He's extremely fit, and was a pretty big contributor to the MFP forums when he was a member. I can only imagine what he would have to say here!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I know, right?! Purple's for losers.

th?id=H.5041493959313619&pid=1.7

I'm just messing with you. :flowerforyou: I understand what "some" of you are saying, but I also think you get out of it what you put into it. I personally know a guy who works out at PF, and I don't think anyone here would look at him and say "he must work out at PF". He's extremely fit, and was a pretty big contributor to the MFP forums when he was a member. I can only imagine what he would have to say here!

Maybe it was his PF membership that kept him from sticking around on MFP.

#NotSrs
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I'm just messing with you. flowerforyou I understand what "some" of you are saying, but I also think you get out of it what you put into it. I personally know a guy who works out at PF, and I don't think anyone here would look at him and say "he must work out at PF". He's extremely fit, and was a pretty big contributor to the MFP forums when he was a member. I can only imagine what he would have to say here!

I agree.

It doesn't matter what gym you go to or whether or not it has a squat rack, a separate weight room etc. it's the effort you put into the workout. A person can go to Golds gym, 24 Hour Fitness, the YMCA and if they're not putting in the effort and they're not practicing table push-backs then they're not going to see results. Yes, there are out of shape people that go to PF but there's also out of shape people who go to other gyms as well. Sure there are people who meander on the cardio equipment and do half-assed weight lifting but again, you will see them at other gyms too.

I work out hard. I go to PF. I watch what I eat and count my calories. If I get fat it's my fault, not the gyms.

ETA: I don't care who PF "caters" to or what their marketing plan is. If you can not get the point and just want to argue then I give up.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Justify?? JUSTIFY???

indeed.

I have a weekly pizza and have no guilt.

I think the issue is they are pushing a gym and that they are average and they are dealing with your average client who can't lose weight and has a hard time with gyms and anything SUPER DUPER FITNESSEY and they are throwing stuff in their face on a regular bases. Anyone who has any self control and hasn't met their goals will walk by- but a great deal of the people aren't that in that category- I just think it speaks more to the gym's "methods/marketing" and what they are built on that the actual pizza itself.

my point is that most PF goers have probably not mastered the art of self control that most long term MFP users have...and two, have no idea how many calories in said slice of pizza vs how many calories they just burned off..

I've never thought of self-control as an art form. hmm.... I should try that line with my "moody/Goth/artsy/fartsy" teenager who can't remember to do her chores without being told 100 times. :laugh: :wink:

But honestly, isn't that their own problem? Don't tell me you go into "sabotage" threads and help the OP make excuses. :devil: