Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I met with the trainer tonight. I was a little bummed that I'm not allowed to bring fractionals for my current routine, but he wrote up a new one for me. There is no squat rack, but I'm ok with that for now. He said you're really not supposed to deadlift, but he would never tell anyone not to do it because it's one of the best exercises to do. Also, the two guys wearing skull caps in the weight room made me think of that story that was posted today. Must be an individual gym thing. *shrugs*
    so what happens when you deadlift and are not supposed to?

Nothing. He said it was fine. Nobody there is going to say anything.

curious..if it is "fine" why are you not supposed to do it?

I guess the Planet Fitness "people" frown upon it (franchise owner? I don't know), but they don't enforce it. I wish I had a better answer.

interesting ...

I think stumblinthrulife said it better. :smile:
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    They said this on their Facebook page:
    Hi Aaron - As our focus is on the first time gym user and general fitness, we feel that squat racks do not fit into our model. We thank you for your question, and if you would like to follow up with our corporate office, please email us at info@planetfitness.com.

https://www.facebook.com/planetfitness/posts/10151874692904856?stream_ref=10

eta: sorry should have said-- that was the response to someone posting on their wall to ask whether the reddit story is true.

I want to know what happens when you're no longer a newbie, do they say you can no longer come to the gym.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    They said this on their Facebook page:
    Hi Aaron - As our focus is on the first time gym user and general fitness, we feel that squat racks do not fit into our model. We thank you for your question, and if you would like to follow up with our corporate office, please email us at info@planetfitness.com.

https://www.facebook.com/planetfitness/posts/10151874692904856?stream_ref=10

eta: sorry should have said-- that was the response to someone posting on their wall to ask whether the reddit story is true.

I want to know what happens when you're no longer a newbie, do they say you can no longer come to the gym.

the lunk alarm starts going off three times a day and judge dread shows up and says "you have been judged, and exiled" then you have to go to golds gym or something….
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    http://theantijared.com/2014/01/planet-fitness-judges-think.html
    Planet Fitness Judges More Than You Think

Planet Fitness is one of the largest gyms in the United States. They have developed a way where you can join their gym at a very low price. They claim to fight for the ordinary gym goer and have set up rules at their gym so that they can be considered “Judgment Free”.

What I have learned is that they have judged me more than any other gym I have belonged to…

It was 2008. I was over 400 pounds and finally decided to change my life and lose weight. I started to eat a lot better and quickly lost 50 pounds.

I knew I needed to get more active as well. I decided to join a gym. I looked at different places but I really liked the concept of Planet Fitness. They claimed to be judgment free. I did not want to feel uncomfortable at the gym.

So I walked in and the first thing I heard was…

“Hey man…you can not wear that skullcap here.”

That was what the manager said. I was wearing my 5XL Reebok hoodie and shorts. I had untied Adidas shoes because I still could not bend down to tie them.

I also had an Under Armour skullcap on. I bought it because I could not fit into any other Under Armour clothing. I wanted to wear it because it made me feel like I belonged at a gym. It was the coolest thing in the world. It symbolized strength to me. I was strong enough to lose 50 pounds.

The manager pointed at the rules on the wall. You cannot grunt or use a cell phone or make other members feel uncomfortable. I looked and it did indeed say no skullcaps or bandanas. I guess I was a part of a gang and everyone who wears one is part of a tough mean part of society.

It was part of their “Judgment Free” zone….

So where was the “Judgment Free” when the manager rolled his eyes at me when I first joined the gym? A 370-pound guy (after losing 50 pounds) who could not tie his shoes. A guy who wanted to ask questions about the equipment, but after seeing the eye rolling realized he did not belong. It did not matter to me. I knew I needed to workout. I knew I needed to be active. Judging me has been a part of my life.

Where was the “Judgment Free” zone when the two girls laughed at me when I could not fit on the bench press? Maybe they were not laughing at me. You know, because so many 370-pound (after losing 50 pounds) guys struggle to get on a piece of equipment. When I could not get my balance. Judging me has been a part of my life.

Where was the “Judgment Free” zone when I went on the treadmill for 48 seconds? When I saw the guy next to me mouth to his friend “Is that it”? Maybe they were talking about something else. Maybe I was too sensitive in a sensitive world. Or maybe I have heard these comments for over thirty years. I was the largest man in that gym. I was the largest person at Weight Watchers meetings. I was the largest person everywhere I went.

Where was the “Judgment Free” zone when I left the gym for the first time in tears? Hating my workout. Thinking that no one was there to help me. Not wanting to go back.

Judging me has been a part of my life. At that moment I was not concerned about a “Judgment Free” gym that had rules set up to judge others. I was more concerned about judging myself.

The rules at the gym do not prevent judging people. The members and staff do. All bodybuilders do not grunt and yell and hate obese people. All fitness models are not nasty sassy people. Honestly, all people who wear bandanas are not part of a vicious gang or just came out of jail…

And one 370-pound man who wanted to wear a skullcap lost over 225 pound.

I quit Planet Fitness the next day. I went to another gym that was more expensive and asked one question…

“Can I wear a skullcap here?”

My reply was…

“Why would we care?”

I have worn a skullcap everyday since 2008 when I workout. I use my cell phone at the gym and I have yelled when I met some fitness goals.

I also try to make people feel comfortable and welcome at the gym. I also share my story and hopefully have helped people want to go to the gym.

When I was over 400 pounds many people judged me. I was fat, lazy and stupid in their eyes…

I do not need for them to see me now. I am proud that I can look in the mirror and judge myself.

Daniel_Bryan_YES.gif
  • tz841
    tz841 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I belong to Planet Fitness. I am glad to be there. I use the Arc Trainer and the treadmill. I changed my membership from the $10 a month to the $20 contact membership because I can bring a guest with me. I bring my Mom, who has a difficult time walking, but does well on the treadmill. It's a great exercise for her. PF works well for me - I am in a safe and friendly environment, which I would not have if I had to walk for exercise in my own neighborhood. We have some very nicely shaped men and women at my PF. Being in shape and muscular doesn't make one a "lunk" - I think attitude determines that more than anything. PF certainly doesn't fit everyone's needs or wants; PF does fit mine though. And the staff at my PF are wonderful, helpful, and encouraging men and women.

Many on this thread are quick to criticize or put others down for joining and using PF, letting us know that we must not be serious about our health if we do so. But I have met more nice and helpful people at PF than I ever have on this forum. People I have met at PF have been supportive and encouraging. I am very grateful for that.

People can debate and hate PF's business model, their pizza nights, their lack of squat racks, etc., but at the end of the day, PF allows me a safe place to walk, equipment to help my endurance and cardio strength, and usually I get at least one free smile a day guaranteed. That makes this place worth it for me. If others can derive the same satisfaction, then it is worth it for them as well.

A fitness center/gym only works if one uses it. I do use PF and I try to use it to the best of my ability. For those who find PF beneficial to their health and well-being, then good for you. For those who don't find it beneficial, I hope you do have someplace that meets your needs. I am very sorry for those who have had such a bad experience at PF or at other gyms; if the staff have treated you badly, let their management know - lack of courtesy, professionalism, or simply bad manners should not be tolerated. You deserve better than that.

And one final note: There is no need to be disrespectful on this forum. It helps when people offer suggestions, encouragement, and assistance without tearing each other down and putting others on the defensive. It really is possible to disagree with others without bashing them at the same time.
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Wheres that gif where the point flies over the stick figures head?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    http://theantijared.com/2014/01/planet-fitness-judges-think.html
    Planet Fitness Judges More Than You Think

Planet Fitness is one of the largest gyms in the United States. They have developed a way where you can join their gym at a very low price. They claim to fight for the ordinary gym goer and have set up rules at their gym so that they can be considered “Judgment Free”.

What I have learned is that they have judged me more than any other gym I have belonged to…

It was 2008. I was over 400 pounds and finally decided to change my life and lose weight. I started to eat a lot better and quickly lost 50 pounds.

I knew I needed to get more active as well. I decided to join a gym. I looked at different places but I really liked the concept of Planet Fitness. They claimed to be judgment free. I did not want to feel uncomfortable at the gym.

So I walked in and the first thing I heard was…

“Hey man…you can not wear that skullcap here.”

That was what the manager said. I was wearing my 5XL Reebok hoodie and shorts. I had untied Adidas shoes because I still could not bend down to tie them.

I also had an Under Armour skullcap on. I bought it because I could not fit into any other Under Armour clothing. I wanted to wear it because it made me feel like I belonged at a gym. It was the coolest thing in the world. It symbolized strength to me. I was strong enough to lose 50 pounds.

The manager pointed at the rules on the wall. You cannot grunt or use a cell phone or make other members feel uncomfortable. I looked and it did indeed say no skullcaps or bandanas. I guess I was a part of a gang and everyone who wears one is part of a tough mean part of society.

It was part of their “Judgment Free” zone….

So where was the “Judgment Free” when the manager rolled his eyes at me when I first joined the gym? A 370-pound guy (after losing 50 pounds) who could not tie his shoes. A guy who wanted to ask questions about the equipment, but after seeing the eye rolling realized he did not belong. It did not matter to me. I knew I needed to workout. I knew I needed to be active. Judging me has been a part of my life.

Where was the “Judgment Free” zone when the two girls laughed at me when I could not fit on the bench press? Maybe they were not laughing at me. You know, because so many 370-pound (after losing 50 pounds) guys struggle to get on a piece of equipment. When I could not get my balance. Judging me has been a part of my life.

Where was the “Judgment Free” zone when I went on the treadmill for 48 seconds? When I saw the guy next to me mouth to his friend “Is that it”? Maybe they were talking about something else. Maybe I was too sensitive in a sensitive world. Or maybe I have heard these comments for over thirty years. I was the largest man in that gym. I was the largest person at Weight Watchers meetings. I was the largest person everywhere I went.

Where was the “Judgment Free” zone when I left the gym for the first time in tears? Hating my workout. Thinking that no one was there to help me. Not wanting to go back.

Judging me has been a part of my life. At that moment I was not concerned about a “Judgment Free” gym that had rules set up to judge others. I was more concerned about judging myself.

The rules at the gym do not prevent judging people. The members and staff do. All bodybuilders do not grunt and yell and hate obese people. All fitness models are not nasty sassy people. Honestly, all people who wear bandanas are not part of a vicious gang or just came out of jail…

And one 370-pound man who wanted to wear a skullcap lost over 225 pound.

I quit Planet Fitness the next day. I went to another gym that was more expensive and asked one question…

“Can I wear a skullcap here?”

My reply was…

“Why would we care?”

I have worn a skullcap everyday since 2008 when I workout. I use my cell phone at the gym and I have yelled when I met some fitness goals.

I also try to make people feel comfortable and welcome at the gym. I also share my story and hopefully have helped people want to go to the gym.

When I was over 400 pounds many people judged me. I was fat, lazy and stupid in their eyes…

I do not need for them to see me now. I am proud that I can look in the mirror and judge myself.

Daniel_Bryan_YES.gif

^^^ this
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Just rolling this one off my topics list. I don't think there is anything constructive left to add...
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Just rolling this one off my topics list. I don't think there is anything constructive left to add...
    Yes please. Let's flush this turd.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    in…for the roll...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    in…for the roll...

^this

On topic: I've still never been inside a Planet Fitness. I have, however, on many occasions, been inside a PF Chang's.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    in…for the roll...

^this

On topic: I've still never been inside a Planet Fitness. I have, however, on many occasions, been inside a PF Chang's.

is PF Changs a judgement free zone?
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    in…for the roll...

^this

is PF Changs a judgement free zone?

Go in and deadlift and find out. Take video.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Posting to help
  • Achrya
    Options
    Move this sucker
  • Achrya
    Options
    Off my damn