Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Wow, it really should be called Planet Arbitrary.

What about tattoos? I mean if wearing a skullcap or bandana means you are in a gang (news to me) then where does that stop? I just can't wrap my head around that at all and my brain is pretty flexible.

I won't even address the naiveté involved in thinking one can out a criminal by his or hers outward appearance.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    http://theantijared.com/2014/01/planet-fitness-judges-think.html
    Planet Fitness Judges More Than You Think

Planet Fitness is one of the largest gyms in the United States. They have developed a way where you can join their gym at a very low price. They claim to fight for the ordinary gym goer and have set up rules at their gym so that they can be considered “Judgment Free”.

What I have learned is that they have judged me more than any other gym I have belonged to…

It was 2008. I was over 400 pounds and finally decided to change my life and lose weight. I started to eat a lot better and quickly lost 50 pounds.

I knew I needed to get more active as well. I decided to join a gym. I looked at different places but I really liked the concept of Planet Fitness. They claimed to be judgment free. I did not want to feel uncomfortable at the gym.

So I walked in and the first thing I heard was…

“Hey man…you can not wear that skullcap here.”

That was what the manager said. I was wearing my 5XL Reebok hoodie and shorts. I had untied Adidas shoes because I still could not bend down to tie them.

I also had an Under Armour skullcap on. I bought it because I could not fit into any other Under Armour clothing. I wanted to wear it because it made me feel like I belonged at a gym. It was the coolest thing in the world. It symbolized strength to me. I was strong enough to lose 50 pounds.

The manager pointed at the rules on the wall. You cannot grunt or use a cell phone or make other members feel uncomfortable. I looked and it did indeed say no skullcaps or bandanas. I guess I was a part of a gang and everyone who wears one is part of a tough mean part of society.

It was part of their “Judgment Free” zone….

So where was the “Judgment Free” when the manager rolled his eyes at me when I first joined the gym? A 370-pound guy (after losing 50 pounds) who could not tie his shoes. A guy who wanted to ask questions about the equipment, but after seeing the eye rolling realized he did not belong. It did not matter to me. I knew I needed to workout. I knew I needed to be active. Judging me has been a part of my life.

Where was the “Judgment Free” zone when the two girls laughed at me when I could not fit on the bench press? Maybe they were not laughing at me. You know, because so many 370-pound (after losing 50 pounds) guys struggle to get on a piece of equipment. When I could not get my balance. Judging me has been a part of my life.

Where was the “Judgment Free” zone when I went on the treadmill for 48 seconds? When I saw the guy next to me mouth to his friend “Is that it”? Maybe they were talking about something else. Maybe I was too sensitive in a sensitive world. Or maybe I have heard these comments for over thirty years. I was the largest man in that gym. I was the largest person at Weight Watchers meetings. I was the largest person everywhere I went.

Where was the “Judgment Free” zone when I left the gym for the first time in tears? Hating my workout. Thinking that no one was there to help me. Not wanting to go back.

Judging me has been a part of my life. At that moment I was not concerned about a “Judgment Free” gym that had rules set up to judge others. I was more concerned about judging myself.

The rules at the gym do not prevent judging people. The members and staff do. All bodybuilders do not grunt and yell and hate obese people. All fitness models are not nasty sassy people. Honestly, all people who wear bandanas are not part of a vicious gang or just came out of jail…

And one 370-pound man who wanted to wear a skullcap lost over 225 pound.

I quit Planet Fitness the next day. I went to another gym that was more expensive and asked one question…

“Can I wear a skullcap here?”

My reply was…

“Why would we care?”

I have worn a skullcap everyday since 2008 when I workout. I use my cell phone at the gym and I have yelled when I met some fitness goals.

I also try to make people feel comfortable and welcome at the gym. I also share my story and hopefully have helped people want to go to the gym.

When I was over 400 pounds many people judged me. I was fat, lazy and stupid in their eyes…

I do not need for them to see me now. I am proud that I can look in the mirror and judge myself.

I wear a skull cap too ...I guess PF is really not for me....
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Ditto....
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Ditto....

Sooo..... does this extend to yarmulkes?

Is Planet Fitness anti-Semitic?
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Options

Ditto....

That was actually my first thought when I read skullcap. Well, until I read it was Under Armour although there would be a market for that I'm sure. It gets cold here.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Ditto....

That was actually my first thought when I read skullcap. Well, until I read it was Under Armour although there would be a market for that I'm sure. It gets kalt here.

FIFY
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I met with the trainer tonight. I was a little bummed that I'm not allowed to bring fractionals for my current routine, but he wrote up a new one for me. There is no squat rack, but I'm ok with that for now. He said you're really not supposed to deadlift, but he would never tell anyone not to do it because it's one of the best exercises to do. Also, the two guys wearing skull caps in the weight room made me think of that story that was posted today. Must be an individual gym thing. *shrugs*
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Only way to squat or bench at the PF here is to use a Smithmachine.

lol @ that
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I met with the trainer tonight. I was a little bummed that I'm not allowed to bring fractionals for my current routine, but he wrote up a new one for me. There is no squat rack, but I'm ok with that for now. He said you're really not supposed to deadlift, but he would never tell anyone not to do it because it's one of the best exercises to do. Also, the two guys wearing skull caps in the weight room made me think of that story that was posted today. Must be an individual gym thing. *shrugs*
    so what happens when you deadlift and are not supposed to?
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Dear Planet Fitness,

I can't run. I just can't! It makes me so uncomfortable when people run on the tradmills next to me while I am walking. Can you please do somehting about all this lunking?

Signed,

An unhappy member

Attention: The treadmills in all Planet Fitness Gyms will now no longer exceed 3.5 mph. Thank you. Enjoy the pizza.

but wait..... pizza ?
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Options

I think thats when the Fingerwagging Squad shows up.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I think thats when the Fingerwagging Squad shows up.

you mean the lunk alarm goes off?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

Nothing. He said it was fine. Nobody there is going to say anything.
  • ndj1979
    Options

curious..if it is "fine" why are you not supposed to do it?
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Difference between corporate policy and what individual gym managers/staff are prepared to enforce, would be my assumption.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    If this is really happening, I guess Planet Fitness is truly for beginners and is not for the general MFP-weight-training public at large. (No offense meant to those who started doing backsquats even as beginners, btw.)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

I guess the Planet Fitness "people" frown upon it (franchise owner? I don't know), but they don't enforce it. I wish I had a better answer.
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Another reason to be glad my wife joined World Gym....
  • daimere
    daimere Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Someone told me today to join Planet Fitness but they don't allow hula hoops. So nope. Not happening
  • ndj1979
    Options

I guess the Planet Fitness "people" frown upon it (franchise owner? I don't know), but they don't enforce it. I wish I had a better answer.

interesting ...