Egg Whites Vs Whole Eggs Controversy!

Options

Replies

• shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    its not an... either or situation.... its about using the right tool for the job.

If you need the fat and protein. Eat the whole egg. If you really only need protein added to your meal. Eat just the white.

This is how I feel. I use whole eggs and egg whites to manipulate my fat/protein content of my meals.

Also, what might be interesting to some people is that egg yolks are used in a lot of products and for the longest time the egg whites were actually being thrown out before someone realized that they could package and sell them. Knowing this, I would feel a lot worse about separating my own eggs(not to mention how time-consuming that would be...) than I do about buying the odd carton of egg whites.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I don't eat eggs that often, so when I do I eat the whole egg. If you have high cholesterol and eat eggs frequently, I could see the sense in cutting back the yolks and using more whites. Other than that, I vote just go for the entire egg.

Actually this isn't true. High cholesterol isn't a problem if your triglycerides are low (below 70) and your CRP is less than one. Cholesterol is the precursor to most of your major hormones and Vitamin D both of which are extremely important for proper functioning of your endocrine system.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Yeah, whole eggs are great, but eating the whites without the yoke can help if you are trying to hit your protein macro target without going over your target fat intake.

Yeah, this.

I love whole eggs. But I have a high protein target each day - I would be way over on fat if I used whole eggs.
    5 g's per egg yolk puts you way over on your fat....interesting.

What is interesting? :huh: I eat 9-10 egg whites a day. That is roughly the calories of 1 whole eggs and I am saving 45 grams of fat.

You should really be quiet.
    9 or 10 eggs has the same calories as 1 egg......lol. People like to convince themselves of all sorts of random stuff.

Lol, yeah. Eating 4 servings of egg whites (or 12 tablespoons or 6 eggs, not 9 -- OH GOD, I WAS OFF BY THREE EGG WHITES) for 100 calories (when an egg is what, 78? 12 WHOLE CALORIE difference), 20 grams of protein and virtually no fat is really convincing myself of something. To get 20 grams of protein from whole eggs, I would be eating 3.3 eggs. For 257.5 calories, 16.5 grams of fat. I am 100% certain that saving the 157 calories and 16.5 grams of fat helps me stay within my other macros while reaching my protein goal.
  • alpacino9
    Options
    Egg Whites - Do it!
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I love over-easy eggs and soft yolks for dipping toast!

I love egg whites for omelets that I am going to stuff with cheese!

I love eggs, I love eggs, I love eggs!

[/diplomatic, impartial opinion]
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I don't eat eggs that often, so when I do I eat the whole egg. If you have high cholesterol and eat eggs frequently, I could see the sense in cutting back the yolks and using more whites. Other than that, I vote just go for the entire egg.

Actually this isn't true. High cholesterol isn't a problem if your triglycerides are low (below 70) and your CRP is less than one. Cholesterol is the precursor to most of your major hormones and Vitamin D both of which are extremely important for proper functioning of your endocrine system.

Hm, interesting! I'm just pro whole-egg, so I mostly meant that's one of the few reasons I could see someone benefiting more from egg whites over whole eggs (because I'm sure there are people out there who do have to watch cholesterol because of having high triglycerides, not to mention those with high blood pressure)
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Throwing the yolks of an egg seems like an aberration to me, there is a lot of people in the world dying of hunger.

Name two!:tongue:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I went to Slimming World for 2 years 3 years back and ate whole eggs all the time and lost 3 stone......I am not saying thats all I ate (!) as I was eating a very balanced diet. Eggs are a free food on SW and after researching them, they are a natural source of all sorts of goodies so I would give a thumbs up, eat them whole.

Seriously? At 70 calories a piece, how could any diet plan consider them 'free' foods?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I always eat cage free eggs, for the omega 3s and the welfare of the chickens. :)

What do you mean "the welfare of the chickens"? As soon as egg production goes down - which is very early in the life of a bird - those cage free chickens are turned into head free chickens and served up as mcnuggets.
  • FitnessVixxen
    Options
    For those of you worried about throwing out the yolk (when eating just the whites). Don't worry!

This applies mostly to women, but men could benefit as well.

When you separate the egg, put the yolk in a separate container. Once a week, heat up some olive oil in the microwave (just warm, not scalding hot).
    Mix that with the yolks you have.
    Apply mixture on dry, clean hair. Leave for one hour (preferably longer).
    Wash out. Shampoo and condition.

Yolks work as a WONDERFUL hair strengthener. It also give it more shine.

So alas... Don't fret.

Your egg white/ yolk problem is now solved.

Your welcome! Lol :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I always eat cage free eggs, for the omega 3s and the welfare of the chickens. :)

What do you mean "the welfare of the chickens"? As soon as egg production goes down - which is very early in the life of a bird - those cage free chickens are turned into head free chickens and served up as mcnuggets.

I'm not sure why, but I laughed way too hard at this! :laugh:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with whole eggs, and pretty much the controversy was debunked years ago...but it keeps popping up.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Always comes back to eat what you want depending on your daily requirements etc. Don't like yolks? Don't eat them. Have space for the fat, like the taste etc? Eat them.

It should come back to this, but it just doesn't. People can get up in arms about anything.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 whole eggs every single morning and it's the best part of my day! However I see nothing wrong with adding more whites if you want more protein...
  • liftreadphilosophize
    Options
    its not an... either or situation.... its about using the right tool for the job.

If you need the fat and protein. Eat the whole egg. If you really only need protein added to your meal. Eat just the white.

/thread
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Honestly, even if they are going to kill the chicken and I am going to eat it, I would still prefer that the chickens live their lives in habitable conditions while they are alive and be treated well. It's just how I feel personally. But, I'm sure I eat plenty of foods that have components that came from farms in which the animals were not treated well.

After reading this thread I can see why egg whites are a good protein source. I usually do need to eat protein powder to meet my protein goals anyway. So, I may consider buying eggs whites in a carton to add to things. But, for now I usually just eat the whole egg. I enjoy the flavor, I make a bunch that I share among my family, and it's just an easy way to do it (and I wouldn't want to throw the egg yolk away). It's just what I am used to. Also I really don't like the taste of egg whites without the yoke. I haven't had an issue with it taking me over my calories, but I don't eat at a deficit. I also don't eat eggs everyday, but I do eat them frequently.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Controversy??

For myself, I eat the whole egg (not including the shell). The only time I separate eggs is if I'm making a recipe that requires it (like mayonnaise, which uses only the yolks). Then I'll use the extra whites in a quiche, or to make coconut flour biscuits or something.

I disapprove of throwing out half the value of the egg. It is wasteful, and disrespectful of the creature who created it and provided you sustenance (even if whoever owns the chicken is doing far worse to her). A whole egg has all the nutrients required to produce a new life, much more than just protein.

If you need to restrict your fats and require more protein, it's better to buy those cartons of "whites only". Or buy egg white protein powder. Or feed the leftover yolks to your dog. Or use them for hair conditioner (great idea, whoever that was!).

Please, don't just throw the yolks down the drain.

BTW, it is not in the best interest of your health to eat lots of RAW egg whites (even including the yolks) as this can lead to a biotin deficiency. See this article for details:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/drinking-raw-eggs/#axzz2pxgK8X3c
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    What controversy? Sometimes all the yolk don't fit your macros, sometimes it does.

Personally, I loves runny yolk. Yum! But on days I'm not wanting my fat from that source, I have a carton of egg whites. Yeah, I agree throwing out food sucks, so just buy the egg white cartons. Cleaner that way too.
  • mikeabboud
    mikeabboud Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just simply don't care either way at this point.
    I enjoy whole, over medium eggs as a topping to various other foods (veggies, enchiladas, chinese, etc)
    My cholesterol levels are normal, there is protein involved, and I enjoy the taste.
    Therefor I eat

ditto so tired of the whole thing really just eat the fricking egg or dont.
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Throwing the yolks of an egg seems like an aberration to me, there is a lot of people in the world dying of hunger.

Name two!:tongue:

I don't get the confrontation, I respect that you like your egg whites, my opinion is not less valid just because I do not know anyone dying of hunger right now, I'm not pushing my beliefs on anyone, I'm just expressing how I personally feel about this subject.