No more added or artificial sugar: who's with me?

Options

Replies

• tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Wooooooow @ that "Skinny on Obesity" group. Just checked out the forums. Full of horrible advice ...and terrible writing.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I want to write this down to help solidify my intentions into actually doing this. I want to see how long I can go without eating any added or artificial sugar. I know that it's only adding empty calories and I can get plenty of sweetness from natural sources. I can do this. Here we go! Who's with me?

You will be rewarded with weight loss almost immediately!!!!!!!!! good for you! You must keep your total sugar at 10 percent of your calories, including all sugar... fruit as well

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group

No.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    What's your goal?
    I'm going to suggest that your are creating "churn".
    These are activities that keep you busy but don't actually address the optimal path to achieving them.

Want to lose weight? Focus on reducing total cals.
    Want to eat healthier? Focus on eating locally produced, low processed, high variety and fresh foods.

There is no need to totally eliminate added or artificial sugars. By setting false tasks that are too difficult, you are setting yourself up to fail as they won't impact your real goals significantly.

See the link Cindy posted.

:flowerforyou:

Edit:word order

This man is very wise.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I want to write this down to help solidify my intentions into actually doing this. I want to see how long I can go without eating any added or artificial sugar. I know that it's only adding empty calories and I can get plenty of sweetness from natural sources. I can do this. Here we go! Who's with me?

You will be rewarded with weight loss almost immediately!!!!!!!!! good for you! You must keep your total sugar at 10 percent of your calories, including all sugar... fruit as well

Joanne Moniz

There is no basis for this.

:noway:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz

Would love to know where you get your information? Why do you have to be under 10%? Is this a random number? I've never tracked my sugar and I've lost a little weight.

She makes it up as she goes.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Wooooooow @ that "Skinny on Obesity" group. Just checked out the forums. Full of horrible advice ...and terrible writing.

Yup. The encouraging thing about it, though, is that it's practically a ghost town.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

You will be rewarded with weight loss almost immediately!!!!!!!!!

Did I just get my fortune read? Can I have a unicorn, too?
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz

Lol, wouldn't kill you but man that would suck. I'll keep my carbs thank you.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Throws pixie dust
  • twixlepennie
    Options

Throws pixie dust

:laugh:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Actually, what I really suggest for you, OP, is to log your food. I see you're not doing that right now.

Focus on the things that actually matter and don't get caught up in silly things like "no sugar!" that don't matter.

You are setting yourself up with a basically impossible long-term goal (no sugar) that obscures your real goal (weight loss), thus leaving you with a situation where you WILL fail and then have nothing to blame but your own lack of willpower. This is a poor situation. Set up realistic goals and put yourself in a position to attain them by setting up methods that actually work and are sustainable.
  • twixlepennie
    Options

Actually, what I really suggest for you, OP, is to log your food. I see you're not doing that right now.

Focus on the things that actually matter and don't get caught up in silly things like "no sugar!" that don't matter.

You are setting yourself up with a basically impossible long-term goal (no sugar) that obscures your real goal (weight loss), thus leaving you with a situation where you WILL fail and then have nothing to blame but your own lack of willpower. This is a poor situation. Set up realistic goals and put yourself in a position to attain them by setting up methods that actually work and are sustainable.

+1
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

^^^Please listen to this guy. Your current plan is only going to set you up for failure not due to your lack of willpower but due to an eating regimen that is too strict and unnecessary. The other thing you may wind up doing is giving yourself a case of orthorexia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

That was at least my experience. May not be yours but it is important that you know it can happen.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    But I love me some chocolate and any things sweet! Nah. Lifes for living :)
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It's just in too many things for me to completely cut it. Sure I keep an eye on it but I don't cut it out. I love my fruit too much (and yes, fruit does have a lot of sugar in it) as well as other sweets like chocolate and cake and...well you get my point! and hey - I have PCOS and I still eat sugar and I don't have problems. I am simply doing low cal and that's it and I've lost over 50 lbs.

But if it works for you, right on! I'm certainly not going to criticize! I just know it's in SO MUCH it's really impossible for me to cut out completely.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Good luck, OP. I appreciate you leaving more sweets for the rest of us. :happy:
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Nope, count me out.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If it's something you feel the need to do, then all the best to you. But I encourage you to not hinge your entire success on it. If you can't cut out sugar, it doesn't mean you have failed.

There are a great many of us on MFP who have learned to incorporate sugar, and other so-called 'bad' foods, into our life while meeting weight-loss, fitness and health goals. If you find that a restrictive diet just isn't for you, please search the forums for IIFYM and I'm sure we'll all be very happy to help you.

On the other hand, if you find that cutting out sugar helps you reach your goals, and you can be perfectly happy while doing it, that's great and well done.
  • GW1970
    GW1970 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    give up sugar , keep the alternativly sourced sweetners to help wean you off sugar, soon you won't want those either! eventually your natural appitite will return and you won't over eat.
    but lets get it straight its not "sugar" its fructose you need to avoid!
    as for what everyone else has said. well this is all new and i guess their response is no differant to smokers reaction when it became clear that was dangerous.
    so i'm bookmarking this so i can come back and say "told you so":laugh: :laugh: :happy:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    give up sugar , keep the alternativly sourced sweetners to help wean you off sugar, soon you won't want those either! eventually your natural appitite will return and you won't over eat.

That's pretty much the exact opposite experience of the vast majority of people who "give up sugar."

Their willpower eventually fails and they go back to eating sugar. Since they never learned to actually eat the food they enjoy in healthy, moderate ways, they simply fall back into their old eating patterns and go back to looking the way they looked before.
    but lets get it straight its not "sugar" its fructose you need to avoid!

Oh, I see. So..... it's fruit that's bad.

Got it.