No more added or artificial sugar: who's with me?

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    give up sugar , keep the alternativly sourced sweetners to help wean you off sugar, soon you won't want those either! eventually your natural appitite will return and you won't over eat.
    but lets get it straight its not "sugar" its fructose you need to avoid!
    as for what everyone else has said. well this is all new and i guess their response is no differant to smokers reaction when it became clear that was dangerous.
    so i'm bookmarking this so i can come back and say "told you so":laugh: :laugh: :happy:

Most of us are years and 50lb+ into our experience. I think we are ready to say "I told you so" right now, to be honest. But we'll wait for you to catch up.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    give up sugar , keep the alternativly sourced sweetners to help wean you off sugar, soon you won't want those either! eventually your natural appitite will return and you won't over eat.
    as for what everyone else has said. well this is all new and i guess their response is no differant to smokers reaction when it became clear that was dangerous.
    so i'm bookmarking this so i can come back and say "told you so":laugh: :laugh: :happy:

Most of us are years and 50lb+ into our experience. I think we are ready to say "I told you so" right now, to be honest. But we'll wait for you to catch up.

050808_soundbarrier.jpg
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Really? Are you looking at the stats of the people posting that sugar isn't bad in the various sugar threads? Have you added up the hundreds of pounds lost, and counted how many of us are successfully maintaining? Wise people listen to those who have already gone ahead of them and figured out how to be successful. I agree, you should bookmark this, but for different reasons than what you posted :smile:

OP-eat now, how you plan on eating for the rest of your life. Learn now, the tools to eating the foods you enjoy in a way that's sustainable for not only weight loss, but to maintain that weight loss for the next 20, 30, 40+ years. Creating pointless restrictions now, is only going to lead to failure.
  • GW1970
    GW1970 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Oh, I see. So..... it's fruit that's bad.

Got it.
    nope cause the Fructose in fruit is tied up with fibre, when you take the fibre away (like pure fruit juice) then it is bad and contains more sugar then the equivilant amount of full strength coke!
    sugar itself is completly safe if you eat it as a "whole". there being more than enough fibre to take away the fructose!
    this information is just coming out in the UK . been around in Australia a couple of years, i'll come back in 12 months and see what you'll all saying then :flowerforyou:
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    You are setting yourself up with a basically impossible long-term goal (no sugar) that obscures your real goal (weight loss), thus leaving you with a situation where you WILL fail and then have nothing to blame but your own lack of willpower. This is a poor situation. Set up realistic goals and put yourself in a position to attain them by setting up methods that actually work and are sustainable.

^^^Please listen to this guy. Your current plan is only going to set you up for failure not due to your lack of willpower but due to an eating regimen that is too strict and unnecessary. The other thing you may wind up doing is giving yourself a case of orthorexia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

That was at least my experience. May not be yours but it is important that you know it can happen.

You know what's worse than unrealistic expectations? Fabricated mental illnesses. And, using Wikipedia as a primary source.

While I don't agree that avoiding added processed sugars and thigns like HFCS or regular corn syrup is a magic pill for weight loss, Americans consume both at alarming rates and not without health consequences. There's no reason the OP can't fill her sugar intake with naturally occurring sugars in everyday fruits and foods.

Most people here have made a rather large presumption that the OP's goal - and only goal - is to lose weight and advising against lowering added sugars. Notably, none of you asked her blood sugar numbers, or her A1C. You're all assuming she's doing this solely to lose weight, and that's short sighted and potentially dangerous. Both numbers could be fine, but her processed sugar and HFCS intake could be already making her body insulin resistant, thereby undermining health and weight loss.

Not only is what she proposes possibly for a 30 day period, millions of people on the planet eat that way all the time either by choice or because they live in a less gluttonous society. If avoiding sugar lifelong was going to cause her to eat poorly in other respects or to experience psychological ill effects, that would be a reason to not pursue this. Otherwise, there's no harm.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Got it.
    nope cause the Fructose in fruit is tied up with fibre, when you take the fibre away (like pure fruit juice) then it is bad and contains more sugar then the equivilant amount of full strength coke!
    sugar itself is completly safe if you eat it as a "whole". there being more than enough fibre to take away the fructose!
    this information is just coming out in the UK . been around in Australia a couple of years, i'll come back in 12 months and see what you'll all saying then :flowerforyou:

So take a fiber supplement with my juice? Will do?

And he's been here since April 2011. What do you think another year is going to change?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Got it.

Oh, I see. "Tied up with fiber."

So if I add a tablespoon of fiber to my Mountain Dew then it's fine!

Cause the fiber "takes away the fructose."
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You are setting yourself up with a basically impossible long-term goal (no sugar) that obscures your real goal (weight loss), thus leaving you with a situation where you WILL fail and then have nothing to blame but your own lack of willpower. This is a poor situation. Set up realistic goals and put yourself in a position to attain them by setting up methods that actually work and are sustainable.

^^^Please listen to this guy. Your current plan is only going to set you up for failure not due to your lack of willpower but due to an eating regimen that is too strict and unnecessary. The other thing you may wind up doing is giving yourself a case of orthorexia...

That was at least my experience. May not be yours but it is important that you know it can happen.

You know what's worse than unrealistic expectations? Fabricated mental illnesses. And, using Wikipedia as a primary source.

While I don't agree that avoiding added processed sugars and thigns like HFCS or regular corn syrup is a magic pill for weight loss, Americans consume both at alarming rates and not without health consequences. There's no reason the OP can't fill her sugar intake with naturally occurring sugars in everyday fruits and foods.

Most people here have made a rather large presumption that the OP's goal - and only goal - is to lose weight and advising against lowering added sugars. Notably, none of you asked her blood sugar numbers, or her A1C. You're all assuming she's doing this solely to lose weight, and that's short sighted and potentially dangerous. Both numbers could be fine, but her processed sugar and HFCS intake could be already making her body insulin resistant, thereby undermining health and weight loss.

Not only is what she proposes possibly for a 30 day period, millions of people on the planet eat that way all the time either by choice or because they live in a less gluttonous society. If avoiding sugar lifelong was going to cause her to eat poorly in other respects or to experience psychological ill effects, that would be a reason to not pursue this. Otherwise, there's no harm.

Her plan isn't "lowering added sugars" as you say. It's eliminating added sugars. And, on top of that, eliminating artificial sugar as well.

It's clear that she's simply buying into the "sugar is evil" hype going all around the fitness and nutrition industry lately.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Re: added sugar

My cookie dough comes with the sugar already in it, not added by me. Does that count as added? If yes than lolnope this isn't for me. If no then hey, I could be on board. I only add sweetener to tea and I drink too much tea anyway.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

I don't know OPs blood work numbers but I do know mine, and my last fasting glucose test number was an 89. This is after having numbers in the pre-diabetic range previously. I didn't cut back on sugar to improve my numbers-lost over 50lbs while still eating the foods I enjoy and cutting back on calories.
  • GW1970
    Options

so it would seem. the diet industry has known this for years, hence products like all-bran. bran flakes etc etc exist. the problem is they are sweetened with so much sugar them selfs (all bran is 17% added sugar) that the fibre is next to useless!
  • jonnythan
    Options

so it would seem. the diet industry has known this for years, hence products like all-bran. bran flakes etc etc exist. the problem is they are sweetened with so much sugar them selfs (all bran is 17% added sugar) that the fibre is next to useless!

I'm going to quit stringing you along now, and just tell you outright that this makes no sense whatsoever.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Got it.

Ok, see you in 12 months when you have found and isolated yet another nutrient to blame...
  • jonnythan
    Options

BTW, here's some actual science regarding nutrition that I think you need to read, considering your macro targets:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24092765
  • Achrya
    Options

I'm going to quit stringing you along now, and just tell you outright that this makes no sense whatsoever.

And there goes my early morning fun!

Unless they keep replying anyway, oblivious and full of denial. *hopeful*
  • J72FIT
    Options

BTW, here's some actual science regarding nutrition that I think you need to read, considering your macro targets:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24092765

But Jonny, don't you know that the scientists are in bed with the politicians who are in bed with the FDA who are in bed with big pharma... so they can keep all this a secret, keeping us ignorant, making us (fat, sick and nearly dead) only to one day rely on their meds to function in old age?
  • GW1970
    Options

lol.
    sorry. i stopped smoking over 10 years ago, i had as much fun with smokers then as i'm having here with you lot now!

just starting to make news in the UK.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25650352
    but take my experience. my first wife was diabetic, so neither of us ate sugar. for 10 years i maintened the same weight and pretty much ate anything and everything i wanted to. in the 10 years since we split up i've put on 40lbs and struggled with every diet imaginable! until now!
    so have as much fun as you like, but remember "he who laughs last laughs the loudest":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • J72FIT
    Options

lol.
    sorry. i stopped smoking over 10 years ago, i had as much fun with smokers then as i'm having here with you lot now!

but take my experience. my first wife was diabetic, so neither of us ate sugar. for 10 years i maintened the same weight and pretty much ate anything and everything i wanted to. in the 10 years since we split up i've put on 40lbs and struggled with every diet imaginable! until now!
    so have as much fun as you like, but remember "he who laughs last laughs the loudest":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You're funny... misguided but funny none the less...
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

lol.

You know, the really great part is that our laughing doesn't actually rely on you failing. If you can cut sugar, that's really great for you. If that's what makes you happy and healthy.

The point is that we are happy and healthy without cutting sugar. My health indicators have all improved to healthy levels through moderation, exercise. Yes, that includes my blood sugar levels.

Just because you couldn't be healthy while eating added sugar doesn't mean no one can.
  • Achrya
    Options

lol.

Well your single anecdotal case has opened my eyes, swayed me, and shown me the light.