No more added or artificial sugar: who's with me?

Options

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    This thread keeps delivering. Here you go, although I'm sure few if any will read these.

Sugar as related to weight loss/control:

Metabolic and behavioral effects of a high-sucrose diet during weight loss.

www.ajcn.org/content/65/4/908.full.pdf
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism

Here's studies that show GI didn't make a significant difference

An 18-mo randomized trial of a low-glycemic-index diet and weight change in Brazilian women

http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/3/707.abstract

Conclusions: Long-term weight changes were not significantly different between the HGI and LGI diet groups; therefore, this study does not support a benefit of an LGI diet for weight control. Favorable changes in lipids confirmed previous results.

Reduced glycemic index and glycemic load diets do not increase the effects of energy restriction on weight loss and insulin sensitivity in obese men and women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16177201

In summary, lowering the glycemic load and glycemic index of weight reduction diets does not provide any added benefit to energy restriction in promoting weight loss in obese subjects.

Long-term effects of 2 energy-restricted diets differing in glycemic load on dietary adherence, body composition, and metabolism in CALERIE: a 1-y randomized controlled trial

http://www.ajcn.org/content/85/4/1023.abstract?ijkey=57903af923cb2fcdc065ffd37b00a32e22f4c5cf&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Conclusions:These findings provide more detailed evidence to suggest that diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.

No effect of a diet with a reduced glycaemic index on satiety, energy intake and body weight in overweight and obese women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17923862

CONCLUSION:

This study provides no evidence to support an effect of a reduced GI diet on satiety, energy intake or body weight in overweight/obese women. Claims that the GI of the diet per se may have specific effects on body weight may therefore be misleading.

Diaz EO et. al. Glycaemic index effects on fuel partitioning in humans. Obes Rev. (2006) 7:219-26.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2006.00225.x/full

Summary

The purpose of this review was to examine the role of glycaemic index in fuel partitioning and body composition with emphasis on fat oxidation/storage in humans. This relationship is based on the hypothesis postulating that a higher serum glucose and insulin response induced by high-glycaemic carbohydrates promotes lower fat oxidation and higher fat storage in comparison with low-glycaemic carbohydrates. Thus, high-glycaemic index meals could contribute to the maintenance of excess weight in obese individuals and/or predispose obesity-prone subjects to weight gain. Several studies comparing the effects of meals with contrasting glycaemic carbohydrates for hours, days or weeks have failed to demonstrate any differential effect on fuel partitioning when either substrate oxidation or body composition measurements were performed. Apparently, the glycaemic index-induced serum insulin differences are not sufficient in magnitude and/or duration to modify fuel oxidation

EDIT: Formatting
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Re: added sugar

My cookie dough comes with the sugar already in it, not added by me. Does that count as added? If yes than lolnope this isn't for me. If no then hey, I could be on board. I only add sweetener to tea and I drink too much tea anyway.

How could you possibly drink too much tea??? I'm chronically freezing, so tea is my BFF.

I'm an Englishman in the US, so for me tea (so-called "builder's tea" - black tea with milk and sugar) was like a cultural lifeline to my home. I drank 5 or 6 mugs a day. Unfortunately this resulted in me getting too much oxalate and started giving me kidney stones. If you've never had a kidney stone, the medical community compares the pain to gun shot wounds and giving birth.

So for me, yes, you can definitely drink too much tea. And as much as it pained me to give it up, it hurt a heck of a lot less than the kidney stones :laugh:

Tea with sugar and whole milk directly contributed to the rapid expansion of my *kitten*.(or the overconsumption of tea with sugar and whole milk, rather) It was a sad day indeed when I switched to splenda and lemon.

Fair enough. I don't put anything in my tea, and I don't typically drink black tea, so neither of those has ever occurred to me. I've never had a kidney stone, but I've seen plenty of people with them. A lot of them were a lot more squirmy and vocal than the people down the hall in the trauma bay with GSWs, so yeah, definitely no joke!

ETFix Typo and ETA that I wonder why people have to be so militant about restrictive diets.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Whewww!! Everyone is a scientist!! Thanks to google, cuz we know the internet doesn't lie!!

I like to keep things simple. Eat an entire package of cookies in one day = bad. Eat healthy all day and reward yourself with 2 or 3 cookies = OK in my book.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Whewww!! Everyone is a scientist!! Thanks to google, cuz we know the internet doesn't lie!!

I like to keep things simple. Eat an entire package of cookies in one day = bad. Eat healthy all day and reward yourself with 2 or 3 cookies = OK in my book.

You shut up with that common sense approach to moderation. Complete deprivation is the only way to go! Once you eat those 2 or 3 cookies you can't possibly then resist eating the rest of the packet. And the ice cream in the fridge. And a burger. And your cat.

ETA: A number of people in this thread actually have studied the sciences to advanced levels, by the way ;)
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options

My cookie dough comes with the sugar already in it, not added by me. Does that count as added? If yes than lolnope this isn't for me. If no then hey, I could be on board. I only add sweetener to tea and I drink too much tea anyway.

How could you possibly drink too much tea??? I'm chronically freezing, so tea is my BFF.

I'm an Englishman in the US, so for me tea (so-called "builder's tea" - black tea with milk and sugar) was like a cultural lifeline to my home. I drank 5 or 6 mugs a day. Unfortunately this resulted in me getting too much oxalate and started giving me kidney stones. If you've never had a kidney stone, the medical community compares the pain to gun shot wounds and giving birth.

So for me, yes, you can definitely drink too much tea. And as much as it pained me to give it up, it hurt a heck of a lot less than the kidney stones :laugh:

I had no idea about this. I drink a friggin' ton of black tea. And guess what? I had a huge calcium kidney stone about two years ago. I can't believe no one mentioned this to me in my treatment. They all harped on about the soda they assumed I drank and was lying about and not getting enough water. (I drink plenty and have a half a soda maybe once a month) I obviously need to do more research...

My kidney stone was the only pain I ever gave a 10 on the 1-10 scale. And I've had three kids. Never been shot. My dad has though and he said morphine took most of the pain away. Morphine dropped my kidney stone pain to a 7. :( But my dad is also kind of a badass. :)

Sorry to derail, OP. :flowerforyou:
    I think reducing sugar in your diet is a worthy goal. Removing added sugar altogether may not be sustainable long term, but if you have a sugar problem and it makes you more aware of sugar in your diet, go for it. Don't be too hard on yourself, though. Even if you end up reducing rather than eliminating, that's still a good thing, right?

ETA: I lost 50 lbs (and have kept it off for over 6 years) by reducing my caloric intake. I still eat cookies, just not an entire box. (My ticker reflects new goals????)
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

You shut up with that common sense approach to moderation. Complete deprivation is the only way to go! Once you eat those 2 or 3 cookies you can't possibly then resist eating the rest of the packet. And the ice cream in the fridge. And a burger. And your cat.

:laugh:

And lizziebeth-spot on!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    LOL Sugar is evil people are just way too adorable.

Look at you guys - all willfully ignorant and stuff.

So cute.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

I had no idea about this. I drink a friggin' ton of black tea. And guess what? I had a huge calcium kidney stone about two years ago. I can't believe no one mentioned this to me in my treatment. They all harped on about the soda they assumed I drank and was lying about and not getting enough water. (I drink plenty and have a half a soda maybe once a month) I obviously need to do more research...

My kidney stone was the only pain I ever gave a 10 on the 1-10 scale. And I've had three kids. Never been shot. My dad has though and he said morphine took most of the pain away. Morphine dropped my kidney stone pain to a 7. :( But my dad is also kind of a badass. :)

I think reducing sugar in your diet is a worthy goal. Removing added sugar altogether may not be sustainable long term, but if you have a sugar problem and it makes you more aware of sugar in your diet, go for it. Don't be too hard on yourself, though. Even if you end up reducing rather than eliminating, that's still a good thing, right?

Ask for your medical records and find out what type of stone it was. Not all stones are related to tea, but it's worthwhile to find out.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options

Ask for your medical records and find out what type of stone it was. Not all stones are related to tea, but it's worthwhile to find out.
    Thanks :) It was calcium. I also ate a LOT of spinach and sweet potatoes, but I knew to reduce them. Maybe I glossed over the reduce tea consumption part? Denial?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    No thanks, I'll eat in moderation like a reasonable grown-up human being instead.
  • Suzybread
    Suzybread Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    OP here:

Wow! This blew up. Just to be clear, I'm not shooting for having a 0 in my sugars column. I still plan on eating fruits and dairy and getting plenty of naturally occurring sugar that way. Obviously I'm not going to be able to go the next 60 years without eating sugar at all. It's not like I'm going to pass on having cake at my wedding. I also use stevia and monkfruit extract too. I work where there is constant candy and baked goods and while "everything in moderation" works for a lot of people, it's just better for me to cut this stuff out completely. I'm still planning on eating Lara bars, fruit, greek yogurt and PB; I have a lot of non-added sugar options. I'm sure I can't do this forever, but I think it'll help me out in the long run.

I know it sounds a little extreme, but it's really not. I go to a well-regarded RD with an MS in Public Health from UNC who made this suggestion. Also, from the Harvard school of public health:

"Your body doesn’t need to get any carbohydrate from added sugar. That’s why the Healthy Eating Pyramid says sugary drinks and sweets should be used sparingly, if at all, and the Healthy Eating Plate does not include foods with added sugars."
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I've never liked artificial sweeteners anyway. They leave an after taste for me. I'll take my sugar and calories any day.
    I think people misunderstood your post. I get it though.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

ETA: A number of people in this thread actually have studied the sciences to advanced levels, by the way ;)

Even without having studies science, nothing but anti-intellectualism prevents anyone from reading scientific articles - the information is out there. And it's mostly free.

Never ate cat - or not knowingly. There are days I might eat a small child, you know, 'cause cookies.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat some ice cream so in other words no thank you.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I want to write this down to help solidify my intentions into actually doing this. I want to see how long I can go without eating any added or artificial sugar. I know that it's only adding empty calories and I can get plenty of sweetness from natural sources. I can do this. Here we go! Who's with me?

I'm in! not good to eliminate a food "category" but just bad foods, that are not actually real food at all....

ps.... wonder why the sugar industry places people to post on this site???
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I want to write this down to help solidify my intentions into actually doing this. I want to see how long I can go without eating any added or artificial sugar. I know that it's only adding empty calories and I can get plenty of sweetness from natural sources. I can do this. Here we go! Who's with me?

I'm in! not good to eliminate a food "category" but just bad foods, that are not actually real food at all....

Look out, your paranoia is showing.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

The "sugar industry"? You really think that Domino or whoever is paying people to post on MFP and extol the virtues of sugar?

I've been accused of being a plant for fast food companies, sugar companies, ice cream companies, and the government. I wish all those people were paying me, because then I wouldn't need a real job.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

The "sugar industry"? You really think that Domino or whoever is paying people to post on MFP and extol the virtues of sugar?

I've been accused of being a plant for fast food companies, sugar companies, ice cream companies, and the government. I wish all those people were paying me, because then I wouldn't need a real job.
    A-ha! You're denying being a plant for Big Sugar, therefore you must actually be one. I mean, why else would you so vehemently deny it? [/paranoia]
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    have you seen how many athletes that have severe health problems in later life?
    they also use , steriods, betablockers, and an awful lot of other unhealthy drugs . should i start using them too?

Really, which ones have you seen? Name me an athlete with severe health problems due to fructose ingestion...

knowledgeable "real" athletes know the dangers of excess sugar consumption, I would think... They eat "real" food, not fake food
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    have you seen how many athletes that have severe health problems in later life?
    they also use , steriods, betablockers, and an awful lot of other unhealthy drugs . should i start using them too?

Really, which ones have you seen? Name me an athlete with severe health problems due to fructose ingestion...

knowledgeable "real" athletes know the dangers of excess sugar consumption, I would think... They eat "real" food, not fake food

Yeah you sound really familiar with how pro athletes eat.

Haha.