I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym

Options

Replies

• kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Love it!! I'm close to outgrowing my weights at home and have a HUGE fear of lifting among the big bad boys!
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I REALLY need to get over my weight-o-phobia! Will be doing some background reading and venturing into"that" section of the gym.
    Might try on a Sunday morning when it's quiet first, though!
    Thanks for this.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Love it!! I'm close to outgrowing my weights at home and have a HUGE fear of lifting among the big bad boys!

can you explain what your fear is? seriously- not being a smart *kitten*

are you afraid they will all turn an point and laugh?
    that they are privately snickering to themselves??
    that you will drop weight on yourself and everyone will stare?

Once you address those and realize- with the clear exception of the weight dropping issue none of those things really has a huge impact on you if they do those things. Think of the worst thing that could happen. maybe you split your pants? maybe they DO turn and literally point and laugh.

how does that physically affect you? can you keep lifting? head phones on- eyes on the prize?

Unless someone is physically stopping you- most of the hang ups people have are about being self conscious in front of others... in front of others YOU ARE ASSUMING "know more" and there for must be judging you.

So even if- god for bid- someone did point and laugh- what's your reaction- just do what you are doing.

But the reality is NO ONE is going to point and laugh at you. They are either just trying to figure it out themselves- or they are too busy working to care. People people watch- sure. and Everyone started somewhere- but you have to try first- just like they did once.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Before my child and being anemic and having thyroid issues I was very athletic. I was a weight lifter in high school and became all american and I acomplished alot. When I joined the military and my workout consist of streching for a 1\2 hour and Id stay in the free weights. I prefer the free weights bc of my weight lifting experience. Its not for everone bc it requires knowlegde and to be alert. Ive seen ppl fall with a barbell around there necks, ppl drop a weight while doing a lateral press on there heads and pass out and Iv seen girl break her ankle atemping a leg press w/o realizing that the machine alone weighs alot w/o added weight. So hey, free weights looks cool in all but know what your doing to stay healthy and safe

This is what I am more worried about. Hurting myself. I think anyone can do it as long know what they are doing though.

Thanks for this post. I will get there, one day.

The takeaway you should have from this sort-of horror story - pay attention to what you're doing and don't be stupid.

If you're training alone (and even if you're not), err on the side of going light. There's no shame in doing a set with an empty bar or machine if you're not familiar with it or the exercise you're attempting (in fact, it's even common to do a set even when you are familiar with it, because you still need to warm up your body). You can always add more weight.

Even the freeweights have tools to make your workout safer. That's why racks with safety catches were invented. That's why there is equipment out there with wires on them that are sensitive to the conductive capability of human skin to create a "deadman's lock" and keep the bar from falling to the ground if you let go.

That said, weight lifting is an athletic activity, just like any other, and therefore comes with a certain degree of inherent "danger." But just like any other activity, if you respect that fact, and you respect that equipment, you greatly reduce the odds of injury.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thank you JoRocka, you make some excellent points! It IS completely a self conscious hangup that I need to get over. I have my notes with me at home...I have Sagi in front of me on the DVD telling me to check my form. I worry I'll get to the gym and go blank, even with my notes. Totally dumb, I know. But I also know that to better myself and to continue growing in both fitness and as a person, I will have to face this fear and I thank you for your honest feedback and excellent points! What's the worst that's going to happen?
  • fittlefattle
    Options
    Awesome post :flowerforyou:

I feel like anytime a room full of adults comes together and tries to share things there's potential for it to get weird. I spent a lot of time in a spit and sawdust type gym as a teenager. I was the only girl there my age; there were probably between 5-10 other female regulars there and they were all either competitive powerlifters or in physique competitions, I was in neither of those things. Some of my favorite memories are from that place and those guys (and ladies) were some of the nicest people you could meet. I was young then, young-female-non-professional...but if it mattered to them they never let me know it.

Given that background, I'm rarely ever uncomfortable in a gym setting. I just had too many positive experiences there as a kid, I don't know what could ever undo that. However, I have been on the receiving end of gym snark. I've been on the receiving end of lots of other kinds of snark, too. There are probably more friendly folks in the gym than sh*tty ones...and if I may...I think the weight room is where you may encounter some of the friendliest.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    great tips thanks
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Thank you :). We'll written
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Great post! :flowerforyou:
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Great post OP!
  • Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Nice written! There should be much more women in this section.
    Lot´s of this guys have a great respect to women that lift.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Nicely written, and important for women (and men!) to read. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    I like being the only woman amongst the men. I can relate to them more than the stupid "spandex" women on the cardio machines. It is what makes me unique (at least in that gym).
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    Love this post.

I am using weight lifting (free weights) as the main focus of my new fitness regime. I get lots of cardio from skiing and swimming, plus I am training to run 5k.

But when I go to the gym its straight to the weight section. I am actually switching gyms to be more of a standard gym.

However also still a newbie and I know starting out I will be intimidated. Even though I am used to being in an all male environment.
    I got a couple new resources from this post. I am in awe of crossfit ladies and my goal is to starting using a barbell instead of just dumbells.

I want to add that a lot of gyms and fitness centres have or will host a women weightlifting course or info session. It could be helpful for a lot of ladies wanting to try it out.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I like being the only woman amongst the men. I can relate to them more than the stupid "spandex" women on the cardio machines. It is what makes me unique (at least in that gym).

Ditto. And, as I walk past the cardio room every day, I always want to be like "COME IN THIS OTHER ROOM! You'll look so much better!"
    I've noticed, maybe over the past 10 or so years, a lot more women in the free weight rooms. That's good. Still, there will always be the cardio queens.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I'm usually the only one as well. Minus the gaggle of girls squatting 20 lbs on the smith machine.

Weight shaming? And how do you know that is only 20lbs?

I'm going to guess by looking at the weights, or lack there of? I don't now about you but when I see a five pound plate and a five pound plate, I'm generally about to add that up.

We all have to start somewhere and at least they are in that area.
  • californiabella
    Options
    saved for later read. thanks!
  • Jenn842512
    Jenn842512 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am with you! Used to be intimidated but now I get in there and own it, knowing I'm working harder and seeing more results than most of the boys guzzling energy drinks, sitting on a bench doing curls.

Here's to the Girls with the Guns!
  • 0nehappyheart
    Options
    Bump!
  • nanefy
    nanefy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I really needed to read this today. I am severely overweight.....well, I've been working out for about 3 months now and lost quite a bit of weight, but also LOADS of inches.

Anyway, I had my programme re-done and my instructor asked me if I was comfortable working out in the freeweights section and I said yes straight away, mainly because, I am willing to do whatever it takes to get the body I want and I will not be intimidated into not doing stuff because of my gender.

HOWEVER - Today is my first day going it alone and I have to admit, I am terrified!! I think I would feel a lot more comfortable if I was thinner, but at 380lbs I not only feel intimidated by the folks in the freeweights section, I feel like a fraud!

I know that I need to go in there to get the body I want but my goodness I could puke just thinking about it. The parts I am most nervous about are the sqauts on the smith machine and bench pressing on the smith machine. I can barely squat......like it's more like just bending my knees slightly and that's with no weight, just the bar - it's the fear of being laughed at more than anything - but I know that, to get better, I have to just push through it and do what I can until I improve.

Anyway, I am really hoping that by going on Saturday night, it will be quiet!!!! lol

So, wish me luck - hopefully I don't do something completely stupid :)