I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym

Options

Replies

• whatitd013
    whatitd013 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Love this post!!! I still get a little nervous when I don't see a free bench for the workout I planned to do that day (sometimes I need an incline bench rather than just a flat one) but each day it gets easier.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Love this post!!! I still get a little nervous when I don't see a free bench for the workout I planned to do that day (sometimes I need an incline bench rather than just a flat one) but each day it gets easier.

Feel free to plop down on a nearby unused seat and wait and periodically stare. It will hurry people up if they're killing unnecessary time. Sometimes you can rearrange your workouts and do things in a different order but sometimes you just can't.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    :heart: this!!!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Feel free to plop down on a nearby unused seat and wait and periodically stare. It will hurry people up if they're killing unnecessary time. Sometimes you can rearrange your workouts and do things in a different order but sometimes you just can't.

"Hi, how many sets do you have left?"

and

"You mind if I work in?"
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I love this post!!!

At my time of the morning for working out, there is usually one other regular girl in the weight side of the gym and the rest is all guys but after going there consistently for so long, many of us that work out at the same time (guys and girls) know each others names, ask after family, applaud goals, and help each other out when needed.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I'm usually the only one as well. Minus the gaggle of girls squatting 20 lbs on the smith machine.

Weight shaming? And how do you know that is only 20lbs?

I'm going to guess by looking at the weights, or lack there of? I don't now about you but when I see a five pound plate and a five pound plate, I'm generally about to add that up.

You forgot to consider the weight of the bar... Regardless of that, it seems to me that we shouldn't make remarks about how much or little a woman lifts, just like we shouldn't make remarks or judge her size or weight. Just saying...carry on.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Great post, Bean.

Bumping for my FL. :bigsmile:
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I'm usually the only one as well. Minus the gaggle of girls squatting 20 lbs on the smith machine.

I'm going to guess by looking at the weights, or lack there of? I don't now about you but when I see a five pound plate and a five pound plate, I'm generally about to add that up.

You forgot to consider the weight of the bar... Regardless of that, it seems to me that we shouldn't make remarks about how much or little a woman lifts, just like we shouldn't make remarks or judge her size or weight. Just saying...carry on.

The weight of a smith machine bar is usually negligible. I've seen it listed as 15lbs, but usually it's close to nothing. It's counterweighted so that it really doesn't count.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Love this. Thank you for posting. I am REALLY hesitant to go over there.....I need a good resource to read first so I know what I am doing! I didn't want to pay for a trainer. :)
    Buy Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and study it. After which, you will be much more knowledgeable and have the efficacy to correctly lift compared to most "veterans" in the weight room.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

The weight of a smith machine bar is usually negligible. I've seen it listed as 15lbs, but usually it's close to nothing. It's counterweighted so that it really doesn't count.

So... When people report their numbers... Is that plate weight only then?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

So... When people report their numbers... Is that plate weight only then?

Only if it's a machine that is counterweighted to effectively zero. I know I can lift the bar on my gym's smith machine with one finger. So in that case I would only count the plate weight (if I were to ever use a smith machine). In any other situation you count the bar weight as well.
  • Ely82010
    Options

Sorry, incorrect statement:

How Much Does the Bar on a Smith Machine Weigh? (from ASK.com)
    Answer
    Make and model of the machine dictate what the bar on a Smith Machine will weigh. Some are counterbalanced and will have virtually no weight, while those that are not can weigh the same as an average bar of that size, or 45 pounds. Basically the average weight will vary within a range of 5 to 45 pounds. Additional weights are often used to increase the weight. It may be possible to determine whether the bar is counterbalanced by looking at the pulleys.

At my gym, the bar weights 25 lbs (not counter weighted). Over and out because I don't want to take over this thread with an argument.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Answer
    Make and model of the machine dictate what the bar on a Smith Machine will weigh. Some are counterbalanced and will have virtually no weight, while those that are not can weigh the same as an average bar of that size, or 45 pounds. Basically the average weight will vary within a range of 5 to 45 pounds. Additional weights are often used to increase the weight. It may be possible to determine whether the bar is counterbalanced by looking at the pulleys.

At my gym, the bar weights 25 lbs (not counter weighted). Over and out because I don't want to take over this thread with an argument.

OK, I stand corrected. Report smith machine lifts however you want. Just be careful when you transition to a freeweight lift from the smith machine- because the smith stabilizes the motion of the bar you don't activate the same muscles as you would with a freeweight bar, and the movement pattern is different. If you're benching 90lbs on a smith, don't try to bench 90lbs free weights right out of the gate- it's a different exercise. And squats are totally different- a smith machine squat is most similar to a hack squat, not a regular back squat- it's much more quad dominant.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

Today was my first day in the weight room. That's exactly what I had to do, because all the benches were being used, so I had to work bench press in later. The couple of guys I asked for help were really nice about it. I probably looked like a ding-dong trying to figure out where was a good space to claim for my workout, but I worked it out. :smile:

ETA that with the exception of the first few minutes of my workout, when my bff came in with me, I was the only girl.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Today was my first day in the weight room. That's exactly what I had to do, because all the benches were being used, so I had to work bench press in later. The couple of guys I asked for help were really nice about it. I probably looked like a ding-dong trying to figure out where was a good space to claim for my workout, but I worked it out. :smile:

Yayyyyyyy! Congratulations on your first day!!!:bigsmile: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

Yayyyyyyy! Congratulations on your first day!!!:bigsmile: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Thank you! This post helped a LOT! *anothersodastreamforyou* :heart:
  • Ely82010
    Options

Answer

OK, I stand corrected. Report smith machine lifts however you want. Just be careful when you transition to a freeweight lift from the smith machine- because the smith stabilizes the motion of the bar you don't activate the same muscles as you would with a freeweight bar, and the movement pattern is different. If you're benching 90lbs on a smith, don't try to bench 90lbs free weights right out of the gate- it's a different exercise. And squats are totally different- a smith machine squat is most similar to a hack squat, not a regular back squat- it's much more quad dominant.

Thank you! but no worries because I will not transition to a free weight Olympic bar anytime soon. My gym doesn't have one (or a squat rack) and I am not changing gyms.

I used to workout at Golds Gym so I know how to use the "regular" equipment, and I honestly prefer the free weight, but it is what it is.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Great post.
    Yes I'm usually the only girl in the free weight section.
    I started off a little lost. Now I walk in like a rock star. The guys all give me the prison-yard nod...'sup'.

I even (very gently) corrected a guys form on squats. We are total gym bros (and sis) now.