I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym

Options

Replies

• Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    This is great! I've known for awhile I wanted to get into free weights - I had done them in high school and loved it, but that was :;coughlongtimecough:: awhile back. I am doing Nerd Fitness Academy for kicks and decided I was going to start free weights this month. Because I'm uncertain of my form and of the layout of the weight room, etc., I've set up two 1 hour personal trainer sessions for next week. I'm going to get oriented, get my form worked on, and then I'll start doing my workouts. Here's to breaking out of comfort zones!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    That's why books like Starting Strength are so invaluable because they provide the knowledge in terms of program design and correct execution of exercises to walk into a weight room with more confidence and success.. I've met quite a few women who educated themselves through the book and were doing deadlifts and barbell squats properly after just a month or two of training. In contrast, I still see men performing these exercises improperly despite having more training experience. Ladies belong there just as much as the men.
  • ladyace0007
    Options
    I agree completely. It's sad to think how many women never even try lifting just because they think they're not supposed to, or because (my personal pet peeve) they don't want to "look like a man." If you are a woman, lifting will not make you look like a man. It will make you look like a fit and healthy woman. I promise.

As for guys in the free weights section, maybe I've been lucky, but I've never encountered anyone who looked at me like I didn't belong (not that I would care) or who made inappropriate comments, ogling, etc. I do get compliments, but they always seem genuine. People notice when they see a girl lifting heavy.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    bump. love it.
  • owlyalice
    owlyalice Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Absolutely adore this post. I'm always scared to go to the weights section because of all the intimidating guys.. I tend to go in the morning when it's empty (my gym's very small, comes with the accommodation). But next time I'm gonna say whatever! Go ahead and stare :P
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Just as a little side note to those who are afraid of joining the dark side. We men are no less intimidated than you are. If anything, we are MORE intimidated. Why? Social norms state that men should all lift and lift heavy they shall. If you're not big and strong then you're looked down upon. Men can be quite competitive. So the combination of factors results in a very nerve-wracking experience for us guys when we're just starting out.

However, as a woman, you get a pass on the judgment and the competition. You get major props just for being there. Just for even trying. So you've already got a leg up. As Bean said, once you do it for one day you be 90% of the way there.

PS - I will second the Starting Strength recommendation. I read it from cover to cover before I ever touched a barbell. Then I read it again to let it sink in after a little experience.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    definitely giving this a bump
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Super good post. I was once a chicken, but now I pwn in the weight area. Love it.
  • arendiva
    arendiva Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm not ready to do weights just yet (as I am still figuring out a cardio routine) but I hope to some day and I enjoyed your advice on the subject.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Used to be afraid, not anymore!! :bigsmile:
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I have always found it useful in all areas of life that if you simply act like you belong, 99% of the time no one will notice that you don't!

I was really apprehensive about starting free weights but I researched form, etc beforehand and had a plan.

So, my advice in addition to the wonderful advice in the OP and the rest of this thread is to prepare yourself mentally and keep your best poker face on. In other words, "fake it till you make it!"

Edit: Awkward wording.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I'm not ready to do weights just yet (as I am still figuring out a cardio routine) but I hope to some day and I enjoyed your advice on the subject.

Why wait? Start early, otherwise you will regret not starting sooner.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

a weight lifting routine will only enhance your running!

btw, instead of trying to figure out a running routine, why don't you look up one from an established system? seems to me that it's better to follow one that has been made by someone that already knows the in's and outs of a proper program.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I love lifting weights and I look forward to my time in the gym.*

*Gym-time in exactly 20 minutes. Synchronize kittens.... now.

Synchronized-kittens.gif
  • anson808
    anson808 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great post.

I also agree with the guy above who stated that guys also have a hard time getting in the weight section where there a lot of muscly looking guys in there, and when I am, uhm, less muscly looking.

I no longer care about that - I focus on my goals and why I'm there, and it gets easier. I suspect that it's the same for women.

Just don't go up to a guy and say something like "can you help me remove the clips from the bar? I don't want to break a nail."
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    :love: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! You have fricking nailed it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I love being the woman in the free weight section. :bigsmile: