I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym

Options

Replies

• WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...while I did have some anxiety my first time in the weights section 2 weeks ago, reading up on form helped, and the boys were willing to help, even though, some of them (many of them) didn't know what they were talking about. Lol! I didn't see anyone looking at me strangely. I've been to 2 different gyms, and I just asked guys, in the weight section, to help me find my way around, both times. They seem to enjoy being the authority on the gym, so it's pretty win-win, imo. :happy:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options
    So glad that at my gym, there are almost as many females training in the weights section as men. And of course these aren't competitive fitness models or bodybuilders, but just average women who have learned that lifting is good for the body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Lots of women work out in the free weight section of my gym. Actually, at every gym I've been to.

Also men don't go up to you and tell you what to do. At least I've never seen it happen.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Great post.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! My plan is to start some weight training in 2014 and this is a great plan. Thanks!
  • Wolfeaj19
    Wolfeaj19 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this!! I am so intimidated by the free weights in the gym because of walking into the 'man' cave. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone and giving some tips to overcome my hesitancy.

I honestly think many of the men, when they first start, feel the same way. People (not just women) tend to be afraid of being judged. You're probably not alone in the way you feel when you're there. Plug those headphones in and go to work! One piece of equipment at a time, even. xo

I will chime in on this one. Joined a gym about about 18 months ago and stuck to the cardio. Walked over to the free weights with no plan and kept walking right back to the treadmill. Felt completely intimidated by everyone who were in their workouts and didn't want to look like a fool. It is not like I didn't know what I was doing, I lifted regularly through high school both power and olympic lifts, but I had no plan as to what I wanted to do now.

Then two months ago I found StrongLifts (thanks the the boards here) liked that it was a simple plan and decided to try it. Took the advice and stuck to starting with the bar only. Still intimidating and felt like a complete tool squatting and benching the bare bar. But I went in and added the weight each time because I had a plan.

So I will agree with the OP and want to add that a lot of the same applies to us men as well.

Main thing for everyone is to have a plan before you walk in, and remember everyone in there felt like you at one point in time.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this!! I am so intimidated by the free weights in the gym because of walking into the 'man' cave. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone and giving some tips to overcome my hesitancy.

I honestly think many of the men, when they first start, feel the same way. People (not just women) tend to be afraid of being judged. You're probably not alone in the way you feel when you're there. Plug those headphones in and go to work! One piece of equipment at a time, even. xo

I will chime in on this one. Joined a gym about about 18 months ago and stuck to the cardio. Walked over to the free weights with no plan and kept walking right back to the treadmill. Felt completely intimidated by everyone who were in their workouts and didn't want to look like a fool. It is not like I didn't know what I was doing, I lifted regularly through high school both power and olympic lifts, but I had no plan as to what I wanted to do now.

Then two months ago I found StrongLifts (thanks the the boards here) liked that it was a simple plan and decided to try it. Took the advice and stuck to starting with the bar only. Still intimidating and felt like a complete tool squatting and benching the bare bar. But I went in and added the weight each time because I had a plan.

So I will agree with the OP and want to add that a lot of the same applies to us men as well.

Main thing for everyone is to have a plan before you walk in, and remember everyone in there felt like you at one point in time.

The bolded is really important, I wish I had included it in my OP. Everyone was in your shoes, feeling foolish at one time. Most people remember that and are willing to help beginners figure out what they're doing.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

QFT. Can be intimidating for guys as well. But reading up to know what you're doing, and having a plan, makes it cake walk.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Lots of women work out in the free weight section of my gym. Actually, at every gym I've been to.

Also men don't go up to you and tell you what to do. At least I've never seen it happen.

Some will, certainly (I've personally had it happen), and it's generally not out of any other feeling than trying to be helpful -- even when their help is wrong or their approach is a little abrasive. They do it, in part, because they respect you and don't want to see you get hurt, which can happen regardless of gender if your form is wrong.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

The bolded is really important, I wish I had included it in my OP. Everyone was in your shoes, feeling foolish at one time. Most people remember that and are willing to help beginners figure out what they're doing.

Maybe, I had an edge on some people, because I realize that ANY time I do anything athletic, I feel foolish, because I'm so uncoordinated. Seriously, I'm still trying to get the hang of BREATHING while lifting. It's really pathetic. I just go out there, knowing I'll look like a goofball, and my expectations of myself aren't thrown off kilter. :laugh:
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    Love this post!!! I was so terrified the first time I went.
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Great post OP, this is brilliant. I am usually the only woman in the freeweights area of the gym too. All the regulars are really lovely, offer to help if I appear to be struggling with something, will work in with me if its busy and are generally some of the nicest people I speak to. They treat me like one of them, and yea occasionally if my form is off they will correct me but I am happy with that as it stops me from injuring myself.

I do get the odd stare every now and again but I just smile and carry on, power through with the music in my ears.

Thanks for posting this OP. :smile:
  • Pollart77
    Pollart77 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Awesome post OP!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Awesome post, Bean! I haven't been in the weight room yet, but I will by Tuesday, for sure. I am a little nervous, because I didn't see any girls in there during the tour, but I kinda know what I'm doing, so I'l be ok. This was a great read! *sodastreamforyou*
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Good post. It goes both ways, woman dominate the cardio at the gym I frequent and as far as the classes go its almost rare to see a man in there. However, I do both and don't let it bother me.

Just a comment, I have heard woman say that men stare at them in the mirror and they may, but just as often they are looking at themselves to see if their free-weight form is correct.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    This is a great post. I don't see why some women are so intimidated of the weight floor. Yes, it's usually dominated by men but in all reality...no one cares what you are doing. People are focused on THEIR workout, not yours. People shouldn't be self conscious of their workouts, just do what you do and do it at your best!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    In for the lady-lifters and prospective lady-lifters on my friend list to see in my news feed.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

Some will, certainly (I've personally had it happen), and it's generally not out of any other feeling than trying to be helpful -- even when their help is wrong or their approach is a little abrasive. They do it, in part, because they respect you and don't want to see you get hurt, which can happen regardless of gender if your form is wrong.
    Man, I gotta tell ya, if I was a chick and some guy did that to me, I'd tell them off.

I've had bros give me advice, I tell them to shove it.
  • peachy_keen
    peachy_keen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Amen to this! I used to work out with the football team at my high school and ended up lifting more than some of my guy friends in college (and now at my training facility). I love it! And I agree with many others that it can be intimidating no matter who you are. Research, good music and gradual improvement is essential.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of my gym for two years and have been too scared to go in the free weight area. I'm meeting a trainer tomorrow to learn basic weight lifting techniques and hope to soon be the girl in the weight room.