Replies

• _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Got to have this thread in my post history!
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I was initially scared of the weight room and finally went with one of my guy friends that I could trust and that hubby trusts!!! Lol!! Anyway I went a couple times with the friend, but then he got busy and couldn't make it when I could so I just sucked it up and went all by myself. And guess what?!? I was scared but I made it through my entire work out and I wasn't treated any differently than when I went with my buddy. Everything in your post is exactly what I have encountered, well except I don't lift very heavy cause I'm still a newbie so no one is in awe of my squats or anything but everything else is spot on!
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I agree whole heartedly, and in my experience, the guys in my weight room are nothing less than helpful respectful and pretty much awesome, but there are also some women in there that I truly admire. Rock on ladies!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You are scared, intimidated, don't feel like you belong? Fake it until you feel it.

Great post.
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bumping to share with my FL :)
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Read so you know what you're doing, and have a plan. I've been saying it for months now! Awesome.

I had to post again, this is great.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Love this!! The first time is always the hardest but it's never going to be that hard again. So walk in and get it over with!

I can honestly say I have never had any creeper compliments and only good ones. I'm so glad I walked over there 15 months ago - I've never looked back!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Bump for Bean!
  • notyourkimmy
    notyourkimmy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I work out at home right now, but plan on going to the gym in the future. I'm kind of shy, so the idea of working out around others is a little intimidating, and being one of the few girls there will feel weird.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Great reminder, love it!
    I've had to restart stronglifts twice due to major illness and tend to avoid the "boy" section until I work back up to the big plates at home. Gonna hold my head up high and just go in and bench 80lbs next week!
  • BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Very helpful! I'm there so early in the morning it doesn't matter much, but when I want to go to the gym in the evenings, I find it very intimidating.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Fab advice for those starting out, and a great reminder for the rest of us!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I've been strength training since the 1970's and in many ways the freeweights section can still feel like a 70's throwback, except there is now less hair and medallions...

Come on ladies, give it a go - it's really just a room with people lifting up heavy things and putting them down again.
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yep! It took me a while to get over my fear in the free weight area & was embarrassed to ask for help but knowledge truly is power so got some & worked through it.

Before I knew what happened, I found my comfort zone & started showing the boys up! (with proper form THANK YOU!)
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Great post but uh... nope, still too scared!! I know, I'm pathetic. I haven't read any of those books. I'll try to grab one this weekend. maybe it will help. Last resort is liquid courage. Haha, kidding.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    awesome stufff!
  • cookseymom3
    cookseymom3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this!! I am so intimidated by the free weights in the gym because of walking into the 'man' cave. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone and giving some tips to overcome my hesitancy.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm always the only woman in the free-weight section.