Replies

• minky_r
    minky_r Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    WOW!! so inspired. Thank you.
  • whatluckycat
    whatluckycat Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You both look fantastic, congratulations on a great job! And your son is adorable!

I also got a mountain bike a few months back, and I love riding it on the trails. I just need more practice, as my balance is not all that good and I get scared of bouncing off the roots and go flying off the trail into the woods!
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you! Really fabulous to read!!
  • krishna1987
    krishna1987 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story very inspiring.
    Great job you look amazing!
  • JaclynSPR13
    JaclynSPR13 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Jacyln - Great Success Story!!!

Congratulations to your lifestyle change. Not only have you done something wonderful for yourself, but you also have changed the life of your son. He is now growing up in a household eating healthy and will be conscious about the importance of exercise and diet to lead a healthy lifestyle himself. That is something I really want to commend you on doing. You have forever changed his course because of it. I encourage you to be the soccer or Little League Mom who shows up for your turn at providing snacks by bringing orange slices, or veggies, etc... . My wife and I were the same way and the surprising thing is - kids love it. And eat it. Of course, the other Moms will bring cookies, chips, junk, junk, and more junk - but don't let that influence you and what you teach your son.

Of course, the one thing that jumped out the most at me in your pictures was the one with you and a mountain bike. ;-) I thought maybe you could talk a little more to the audience here about your exercise habits during the weight loss phase and what you are doing now in terms of hours per week. It's important to combine diet with exercise, and so far in this thread we've heard more about the diet portion of your success story. I'd like to hear more details about the exercise portion.

I can vouch for cycling - especially mountain biking - as a great way to keep in maintenance mode with the low impact, high calorie burn one can achieve through turning the pedals. It's also a great way to lose weight to get down to a goal level. Are you and your husband mountain biking together? Do you race?

Again, congrats on your success and lifestyle change. It's an excellent role model. And we will all forgive you for dressing your son up as Santa Claus. But if you do it again..... '-)

SST

I thank you for commenting and recognizing my true success story. It's not me, it's all about my son.
    As for the mountain biking. My brother lost some weight on MFP and he was just a little overweight. He lives in GA and has great MTB weather almost year around. He got my husband into riding and then I ran with it. We started out with cheapo bikes that we destroyed very quickly. My husband now rides a Cannondale Lefty and I LOVE my Sette Razzo (29r). We ride together. I wanted the workout so until my son can MTB by himself, I pull him behind me on the tag-a-long. We do some pretty crazy stuff too! It's such a thrill. I won't lie, I hate it sometimes pulling that kid behind me but I love the burn!

So as for my workout. I ride hard for about 45 minutes 3-5 days a week when the weather allows. I'm in northern Virginia so that season is restricted. I just go as far and fast as I can. Hills. Rocks. I do it all. We have quite a few trails in our area. I do not race. Was planning on doing one last year but it just didn't work out. I'm hoping to race I that one this year!
    When I cannot ride (obviously my preferred activity) I use my elliptical at home, hike, swim at the gym, do P90X or run behind my son on his bike (non-MTB trails).

Let me know if I missed something or if there is anything else I can share with you.
  • Sharbear73
    Sharbear73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Looks like a totally different person, you looks sooooo much younger now. WOW!
  • nicolex86
    Options
    absolutely amazing. great great job!
  • justakiwi
    Options
    Wow! That is amazing :smile:

You must be SO proud of yourself. Thanks for the inspiration to keep going. If you can do it so that the rest of us.

Have a great day :flowerforyou:
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    BlueEyedTXmom Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! Thanks for sharing your story, what an inspiration!
  • kerriann4
    kerriann4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You are so awesome!! Thank you so much for the inspiration!!
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • sriley7682
    sriley7682 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is amazing. When I started, I was also around 295. I have currently lost 76 pounds and have about 50 more to go. I have also become much more active walking and jogging. Congratulations on reaching your goal!
  • akilahleemarie
    akilahleemarie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    great job! I'm just in shock how great your arms look...you have no loose skin...and you lost so much weight...nice!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    what an amazing transformation, you look wonderful!!! i bet you feel wonderful too!!!! :)
    congratulations to you!
  • tracinae
    tracinae Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Such an inspiring story! I am just begining my journey, but I have high hopes to make it to my goal. I didn't start gaining weight until after graduating high school in 1993. So I am definately not the same person and Im so unhealthy now. I am going to contiue to follow blogs like yours to keep me on the right path.
    Thank you for sharing your story. you are beautiful!
    Tracy :happy:
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Jacyln - Great Success Story!!!

Congratulations to your lifestyle change. Not only have you done something wonderful for yourself, but you also have changed the life of your son. He is now growing up in a household eating healthy and will be conscious about the importance of exercise and diet to lead a healthy lifestyle himself. That is something I really want to commend you on doing. You have forever changed his course because of it. I encourage you to be the soccer or Little League Mom who shows up for your turn at providing snacks by bringing orange slices, or veggies, etc... . My wife and I were the same way and the surprising thing is - kids love it. And eat it. Of course, the other Moms will bring cookies, chips, junk, junk, and more junk - but don't let that influence you and what you teach your son.

Of course, the one thing that jumped out the most at me in your pictures was the one with you and a mountain bike. ;-) I thought maybe you could talk a little more to the audience here about your exercise habits during the weight loss phase and what you are doing now in terms of hours per week. It's important to combine diet with exercise, and so far in this thread we've heard more about the diet portion of your success story. I'd like to hear more details about the exercise portion.

I can vouch for cycling - especially mountain biking - as a great way to keep in maintenance mode with the low impact, high calorie burn one can achieve through turning the pedals. It's also a great way to lose weight to get down to a goal level. Are you and your husband mountain biking together? Do you race?

Again, congrats on your success and lifestyle change. It's an excellent role model. And we will all forgive you for dressing your son up as Santa Claus. But if you do it again..... '-)

SST

I thank you for commenting and recognizing my true success story. It's not me, it's all about my son.
    As for the mountain biking. My brother lost some weight on MFP and he was just a little overweight. He lives in GA and has great MTB weather almost year around. He got my husband into riding and then I ran with it. We started out with cheapo bikes that we destroyed very quickly. My husband now rides a Cannondale Lefty and I LOVE my Sette Razzo (29r). We ride together. I wanted the workout so until my son can MTB by himself, I pull him behind me on the tag-a-long. We do some pretty crazy stuff too! It's such a thrill. I won't lie, I hate it sometimes pulling that kid behind me but I love the burn!

So as for my workout. I ride hard for about 45 minutes 3-5 days a week when the weather allows. I'm in northern Virginia so that season is restricted. I just go as far and fast as I can. Hills. Rocks. I do it all. We have quite a few trails in our area. I do not race. Was planning on doing one last year but it just didn't work out. I'm hoping to race I that one this year!
    When I cannot ride (obviously my preferred activity) I use my elliptical at home, hike, swim at the gym, do P90X or run behind my son on his bike (non-MTB trails).

Let me know if I missed something or if there is anything else I can share with you.

No, no. You didn't miss anything. That's perfect. Good to know how and what you are doing to maintain. Congrats on your bikes - good choices. I figured that was a 29"er the way it looked next to you. Sounds like you are riding more with intensity on your shortened 45 sessions. That's a great way to fire up the metabolism and burn calories!!! You can handle it at your age. My wife and are old enough that intensity can only be a maximum of three days per week, the others are recovery days and longer, slower distance durations during the warm weather. But 45 minutes of going all out? Hey - that's close to the time duration of a mountain bike race. So you see - you're training already to race!!! ;-)

I hear you on the weather restricted seasons. It forces me inside on the exercise bike during the "off-season" and I always found that a great way to train when my kids were little. That's great you're out there pulling junior. I think I've used every contraption available with my kids - behind the bike seat, hitch hiker, Burly trailer, and eventually a tandem before they got their own bikes and were old enough to pedal.

Again - thanks for sharing your story and making it real for your son (and husband). And I'm glad you're off the sauce (Diet Coke). I had trouble getting off of that until I read many things about the negative effects. I haven't missed it really the past two years, but I do enjoy my coffee.

Great story. Great family. Great new lifestyle. Keep it up.
  • fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I don't know you and yet im so proud! I see my sister in your first pictures...I so hope she would one day have the same "wake up" call you did! Awesome Job...
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for that amazing story!! You look beautiful!!
  • amj3303
    amj3303 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    WOW amazing story!! Thank you for sharing!!! you are amazing and look sooo good!
  • StephMCompton
    Options
    Holy Crap! you are a completely different person. You lost an entire adult! nearly double your weight. This is insanely incredible!
    Kudos x's a hundred!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!