Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,229 Member
    Options
    That would be cool. :smile: A night shift road trip. Drive at night and eat a huge breakfast and slip in to a food comma for the day. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    That would be cool. :smile: A night shift road trip. Drive at night and eat a huge breakfast and slip in to a food comma for the day. :smile:

Oooh, that sounds so, so good right now!
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

This sounds amazing!
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Current mood: deeply regretting not bringing any cookies to work.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Deeply regretting not having cheese in the house. Night off work and all the family has in the house are carbs. Bread, mac n cheese, rice ..... You get the picture.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    They're tryna give you the diabeetus!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Guess I'll have to go to the store. Starving isn't an option. :smile:
  • Marieyeyeam
    Marieyeyeam Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I wanna road trip too! Can't drive but great company though lol
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    iaq9j73rq1td.jpg

This one really spazzes daywalkers out when I talk about it....but I know my tribe will understand.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I wanna road trip too! Can't drive but great company though lol

We'll pick you up. You can be in charge of the radio!
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Also, if my pizza doesn't arrive shortly, I may get hangry enough to shank someone.
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    @Jennifer_417 So I'm not the only one who's been there :lol::cookie:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    So I'm trying to take in about 87 grams of protein per day. It's supposed to help with recovery after hard workouts. The formula is 1g/kg/day for men and 0.9g/kg/da for women. That was a lot of Protein! I got in 83 grams but it left me about 800 calories short for the day. I'm going to have to add fatty beef to the lean chicken in order to boost the calorie intake.
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    On the same note, we're starting a weight loss challenge at my PD next week. The captain who organized it is big into IIFYM. I'm not sure what to do, either calories in/calories out or IIFYM so I'll be chatting with him later today.

IIFYM
    1941 calories
    Protein 126 grams
    Fat 97 grams
    Carbs 136 grams

MFP
    1300 calories
    Protein 130 grams
    Fat 43 grams
    Carbs 98 grams

I'm so confused....
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    So I went to iifym and did the calculations. That was a LOT of protein!!!! 167 g of protein for me. There is some truth to what they say. It should never be calories in calories out. That's just starving and that leads to your body going in to starvation mode. Once it does that, you will never sustain the weight loss you achieve. Better "diets" involve high calorie foods that force you to burn fat. Fat free diets don't work either. If they did, why have Americans cut so much fat from their diets and yet are more obese with more type 2 diabetes melitus than ever before? Fat has good nutrients we need. Carbs often replace fat for flavor but that causes excess glucose which leads to excess insulin release leading to ingreased ghrelin release which makes you feel hungry again. It also leads to insulin resistance in the muscles making it harder to burn calories. Keeping the protein high and the fats and carbs balanced, you limit the available glucose making the body break down fat to generate glucose. That's why it works. It keeps you from going in to starvation mode with all the hormone and enzyme release that goes along with starving. At the same time increasing protein and balancining fat and carbs means you use fat to generate glucose.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    By the way. That program won't work without some muscle stress like weight lifting or interval training.
  • bethanie0825
    edited March 2017
    Options
    By the way. That program won't work without some muscle stress like weight lifting or interval training.

I lift twice a week but I don't know what would be enough for all the protein. My macros are more even with MFP so maybe I need to up my calories and shift my macros around. Try to hit my macros within the calories MFP gives me.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    The calculator for IIFYM takes in to account the number of days you work out so it adjusts macros accordingly. I quit counting calories awhile ago. I pay attention to the macros and it usually adjusts the calories to where I need them. Yesterday was WAY off though. Going lean on the meat was definitely not the answer. :smile:
  • bethanie0825
    edited March 2017
    Options
    So, spoke to the captain who is running the challenge; super knowledgeable guy. He took a look at my stuff and this is what he gave me. I'll follow up with him in 2 weeks and make adjustments as necessary.

1700 calories
    Protein 128 grams
    Fat 57 grams
    Carbs170 grams

I have to get close to my fat and protein macros daily. And stay under or around calories and carbs. Def doable. So here goes nothing lol. **I can drop my carbs in 2 weeks if I like, and I can see that happening :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I'm in trouble. I'm starting a 48 hour shift and I'm already really tired. I usually don't start hitting the caffeine until 24 hours. I may be hitting the caffeine 5 hours in. :cry: