Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time making myself go outside at all when it's that cold...let alone riding a bike!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time making myself go outside at all when it's that cold...let alone riding a bike!

Yeah, me too. My lungs haven't been too happy with me since I got over the flu the other week. Remains of cough and mucous, but I still was at work in -24C on Thur nite/Fri AM and boy did they hurt yesterday. Lately I haven't had energy to go out for walks or ski even which is sad because I like it, but stress (elderly parental health care) is taking its toll on me. Dad just lost his licence and now they are dependent on us for any sort of transport as we all live out in the country (20 minutes from town). Starting Monday we are getting everything all set with the lawyers for wills/POA/representative agreements for health care, and then they are checking out retirement residences in town. It will take a few months but hopefully things will get easier for all of us.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    That must have been a real blow to his ego when they took his license. A fair number of elderly struggle with giving up their license. It's their last representation of independence.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    We had to pull my mom's driver's license when she developed cataracts a few years ago. Her eye issues are mostly resolved now but enough other things have gone wrong with her health (memory problems, balance issues, losing feeling in the bottom of her feet) that I had to tell her that she couldn't get it back just a few days ago. She took it well, but it's hard for both of us.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I had to switch to the fat tire to commute to work tonight. It goes through the snow and slush better, but it sure takes a lot of power to push down the pavement.
  • canadjineh
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Well.... Today we 3 went for lunch at a retirement residence then had a tour. Really good veggie soup (no noodles or rice - yay!) and a beautiful chicken Caesar Salad (not as garlicky as I like but that's because it's a senior residence - spices generally are 'toned down'). I picked out the croutons since I can't have bread - hopefully any crumb left in the salad won't affect me too much. Mom & Dad had a SF dessert too, being careful with their blood sugars, although they aren't having problems at the moment. Awesome mini 1 bedroom + living room apartments with microwave and bar fridge and large bathrooms. Wood laminate flooring, and large windows with a view over the mountains. Internet, cable TV and phone (long distance too) all included. Central courtyard with outdoor pool - summers has aquafitness classes there, open swim with family welcome and afternoon tea/cold drinks in the courtyard around the pool. All very bright, new updates/renovated ex/hotel. All meals plus morning coffeetime/snacks and afternoon tea/snacks included. Right next door to their doctor (who will make housecalls if needed) and their preferred pharmacy. Live music & happy hour on Fridays. Private bus to malls, downtown dropoff & pickup, tours to interesting events. Multiple things scheduled every day if one feels like joining in. I think hubby & I should move in lol. On Friday we meet with the facility manager for the 'money talk.' We know her personally & my SIL and niece both work there too, so there may be some leeway.

All Dad's paperwork (Will, POA, Health Care Representation Agreement) got done today, and Mom's Will too. That was a hard moment - she cried at the very thought of a will, but soon forgot once we left the lawyer's office (the positives of dementia?). We still have to do a Representation Agreement Section 7 for Mom's future financial & healthcare needs. The lawyer will draw that up, give us a call, and then we all have to go in to sign. Dad's been feeling a bit depressed and cynical since the loss of his driver's licence. I am working on being as accommodating as possible and trying to remember to ask if they want to go to town or want me to p/u anything when I'm headed that way.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    eqkg2r06hh59.png

Bike dreams.....
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    kf7l5fiwt4tb.jpeg

Moves through the snow like a dream but drops a lot more stuff on the floor here at work. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Ewww, slush-muck in the rims. You need to cycle through the pristine (2 ft. deep) snow and stay off the slushy roads, bwahahahaha! Now there's a workout!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Rode the fat tire for commuting. Did have a choice about where to ride. I would love to be out on the trails in the nice clean snow. My dog would love it too! She loves running in the snow. She is funny to watch in the snow. She pounces at things I cant see and comes up with a face full of snow.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    So, my aunt died this morning. I'm really glad we got up there to visit her last week, even though it was a tough trip. I knew it wouldn't be long, but I didn't think it would be this soon. I wasn't really close to her-I can only remember even seeing her a handful of times, but my mom is really sad. She is the first of my mom and her 4 sisters to die, so I also think she is thinking about her own mortality a bit.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Awwww, Jenn, so sad to hear about your aunt. Good you had a visit.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    @Jenn, Sorry about your aunt. I know it doesn't affect you as much as your mom. However, I know when your mom is troubled, that affects you.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Thought I was going to cruise out of here this morning and off to a conference for CE. Nope, Just had two clients come in. I'm likely going to get out of here late.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Everything's a bit of a mess atm. My mom appears super depressed but won't talk about it. My cousin and other aunt are super ticked because they feel like no one cares or helped them take care of her. Her insurance won't cover a funeral, only cremation, so they're saying there won't be a funeral, just "small family memorial (to which I'm not 100% sure we're welcome)" once they get her ashes back, some time between 3-6 weeks from now.

Sigh.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Wow. I never will understand why there is so much bickering and fighting when someone dies. That has never made sense to me.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I think a lot of times people don't know how to handle their grief, so they turn on one another. And then some people are just money hungry (which I've seen, too). @sufferlandrian -how's your conference going?
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    I've been gone too long. I won't even comment about the weather near me, you guys are having a hella tough time. It's warm here one week and cold the next. I love seeing the pictures though.

End of life stuff is hard. My grandfather is dying. There's paperwork and preparations that no one wants to do but has to. I'm 600 miles away so I'm pretty much waiting on a phone call. I hate it bc I can't be there to help out anyone.

@jennifer_417 I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt. People have really different way of dealing with their grief; most aren't the most healthy. I hope you guys find some comfort *hugs*
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    The conference is going quite well. I’ve learned a couple of new things. I’ve eaten a lot of great food! I love Guy Fieri’s Bucket of Nachos. :smile: I can’t say that I’m doing a very good job of staying on my nutrition plan, but I’m having fun and spending some time with some very good people. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    Options
    00cvf05d5hpx.jpg
    Does this tree know something about Spring that I don't?? Yes, those are actually leaves budding out in last night's photo at the University College - you know.... next to the snowed in picnic tables. Good grief!