Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    We are expecting snow on Monday. Yes. You heard me right. Hopefully it will help stop some of the wild fires.

Well, since I know you like the snow, and that it might help current conditions, I can be happy for you. But, BOY am I glad it's not me...
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    LOL. :smile: I can't wait! The high on Tuesday is supposed to be 63 degrees. If we can clear a little smoke out with some rain and snow, I'll be back on my bike. That should help my disposition quite a bit. Tonight is the first night in two weeks I've been able to open my office window and let some "Fresh" air in. It's nice and cool with just a hint of forest fire. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Rain? Snow?.... what's that? I for one am looking forward to Autumn (Summer is actually one of my least favorite times of the year - too much work and fire.) At least temperatures have been down to 10C in our area in the wee hours of the morning so that will help cool fires down, but today was a VERY windy day and more smoke has moved in and of course it's still high 20'sC for daytime temps.
    Hiya Anthony! My dad worked for Canadian National Railway when he first came to Canada. I love trains.
    70rnexto0820.png
  • canadjineh
    Options
    jgnaouhi0dr2.jpg
    That's the sun on my way home from work one morning last week.

z7olfd6gtb58.jpg
    Roots & Blues Festival (Saturday, midday) There's a largeish mountain right behind the site (obscured by the smoke)

• sufferlandrian
    edited August 2018
    Options
    10 C? That would be rather pleasant. We're getting down to around 5 C but it's too smokey to open the windows. The night before last, we were in yellow for air quality and I was able to open the windows. It was so nice! Unfortunately, today we are back to red zone. For those not familiar with smoke alerts, Green is good. Yellow is caution. Orange is unhealthy for sensitive groups. Red is unhealthy for everyone. Purple is very unhealthy. Burgundy is HAZARDOUS! We haven't gotten to Burgundy yet.
  • sufferlandrian
    edited August 2018
    Options
    What ever happened to the delet function? I tried to post a graph but it didn't work out but I couldn't delete the post.
  • canadjineh
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hmmm, delete must have worked because I don't see a graph....
    Today we are at burgundy 10+ 'Very High Health Risk.'
    env.gov.bc.ca/epd/bcairquality/readings/north-okanagan-aqhi.xml
    I will be wearing a mask on patrol tonight thru Sunday. :pensive:

Here's an interesting site to see air quality around the world, you can scroll right in to your own neighbourhood practically: https://waqi.info/
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Burgundy! Wow. Any chance of rain this weekend? We've got a front coming down from Canada that is supposed to bring rain but I can't tell if it's going to be far enough west to do you any good. We are still in red so I'll count my blessings.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    From time to time I feel like deleting my profile from MyFitnessPal and walking away. I could be 400 lbs, on Medicaid and welfare since I'd be too heavy to work. Then I wouldn't need to work these crazy hours anymore. 120 hours a week is really getting to me lately. Maybe it's because of the smoke making it so I can't ride. There are days I feel like going from the heavily taxed side of the ledger to the receiving handouts side of the ledger.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    From time to time I feel like deleting my profile from MyFitnessPal and walking away. I could be 400 lbs, on Medicaid and welfare since I'd be too heavy to work. Then I wouldn't need to work these crazy hours anymore. 120 hours a week is really getting to me lately. Maybe it's because of the smoke making it so I can't ride. There are days I feel like going from the heavily taxed side of the ledger to the receiving handouts side of the ledger.

You've been working way too many hours for a long time. It's understandable that you'd be pushing burn out. I hope you can at least get back on your bike soon. Saying a prayer for ya.
  • canadjineh
    edited August 2018
    Options
    It IS understandable that extreme responsibilities would be getting to you....Just think if you were 400 lbs though, it would definitely make it hard to enjoy your cycling, and that's a great stress reliever. Hugs to ya! This will all be over in a couple weeks (actual rain happening this afternoon - without lightning!!) and you will be able to hop on the bike again.

CBC news had a piece on how our smoke was affecting the province of Nova Scotia over 4500 km away on the East Coast.
    Nova Scotia sunrise photo from the news site:
    jbgm7obbsm9q.png
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    That's amazing! I wouldn't have guessed it would go that far. If you don't mind, can you put the fires out? If we suck down much more smoke, I'll have to take up smoking just to keep my lungs clear.
  • emurphy2183
    emurphy2183 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I can’t sleep but hopefully I’m not the only one lol
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    We're awake...sorta.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Look on the bright side. It's 10am here in Sweden so in my time zone you've had a lie in...
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I can see rain coming in from Canada. Maybe when I wake this afternoon the air will be clear enough to commute to work. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Rain! Lovely rain. And nobody slapped a tarrif on it. :smile: The air quality improved to caution and if this keeps up we could see good again by tomorrow. Riding in the rain was rather pleasant on my way to work. Snow advisory for tonight though.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    No snow called for here yet....but it has been raining on and off all last night and today. Yaaaay, we actually have for this morning. Fall IS here. Hello Andy and emurphy and Jen (plus any lurkers). I'll have about 10 days of holiday in a couple weeks but we still aren't sure if we are camping somewhere or quickly zipping off to a last minute resort in Cabo or Puerto Vallarta. Last minute trips are so cheap right now.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Yeah! We are back in the green! Thanks Canada for sending the rain.

@canadjineh - I hear Cabo doesn't have any smoke. That might be a welcome break considering what your lungs have been enduring. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Slow night in the ER last night. Very pleasant change of pace.