Distance runners: How to work past 90 minutes?

Options

Replies

• Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    This thread went to hell in a hand basket.

Hmmmmmm, let's think REALLY SUPER HARD and see if we can't figure out why?

I figured it out pretty easily. Keep trying, you'll get it.

Guy without the cardio endurance to run long distances comes into thread with misinformation, then he continues to argue that a person he doesn't know (OP) doesn't, in fact, want to run long distances even though they clearly stated otherwise. OP posted a thread for help on how to run long distances, I'm just guessing here, but I think that means that OP WOULD in fact like to be able run long distances. Some knowledgeable people with actual cardio endurance came into thread to try to help OP achieve this goal. Guy with chip on his shoulder posts over and over and over again about how OP (who he doesn't know) lacks dedication.

Does this cover it?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

May I at least commend the offending fellow on the proper quoting of the cliche. That's rare on these boards. Also on the pompadour. You put the "pomp" in pompadour.

I am a borderline genius who says stupid things on internet forums because I try to over simplify my ideas. It is hard being me. Sometimes I come across as being completely wrong, other times only somewhat wrong. I keep on keeping on.

I'm sure you are.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    No - humans can outrun anything.
    They can't outrun a lion.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Hmmmmmm, let's think REALLY SUPER HARD and see if we can't figure out why?

I figured it out pretty easily. Keep trying, you'll get it.

Guy without the cardio endurance to run long distances comes into thread with misinformation, then he continues to argue that a person he doesn't know (OP) doesn't, in fact, want to run long distances even though they clearly stated otherwise. OP posted a thread for help on how to run long distances, I'm just guessing here, but I think that means that OP WOULD in fact like to be able run long distances. Some knowledgeable people with actual cardio endurance came into thread to try to help OP achieve this goal. Guy with chip on his shoulder posts over and over and over again about how OP (who he doesn't know) lacks dedication.

Does this cover it?

I wish I could answer this question but I couldn't follow. I left my borderline genius hat in my other purse.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

May I at least commend the offending fellow on the proper quoting of the cliche. That's rare on these boards. Also on the pompadour. You put the "pomp" in pompadour.

I am a borderline genius who says stupid things on internet forums because I try to over simplify my ideas. It is hard being me. Sometimes I come across as being completely wrong, other times only somewhat wrong. I keep on keeping on.

Nothing borderline here. Feel free to stop oversimplifying.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Not my meaning. Run longer and farther.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Only if the human isn't caught first and turned into lunch.

Look, I know it's something that is repeated often, but it is not really very true. You put a human out in the wild and they won't be outrunning anything - they'll be eaten. What allows us to "run longer and farther" isn't our physiology, it's the fact we live in the equivalent of organized herds and can usually fend of much faster animals long enough to live long enough to "run longer and farther".

Which means we aren't outrunning at all - we're out-organizing.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    to the OP: If you have a reasonable base, running 90 minutes shouldn't require much extra in the way of water or fuel, if any at all. The exception to this may be running in high heat. I wouldn't even consider water or fuel for anything less than 2 hours, and even then, it would be to practice fueling strategy. I suspect your base is at fault here.

I would second this. If you want to be able to run 90 minutes, you should consider increasing how much you run on a weekly basis (gradually). Once you're running 30 to 40 miles per week, 90 minutes shouldn't be a problem.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    30 is old now?? guess i'm going to stop doing triathlons and send out for my AARP card.

Nah man, you ain't old. But no way in hell I want to be running in 8 years.

LOL

Okay, *now* I'm in.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    30 is old now?? guess i'm going to stop doing triathlons and send out for my AARP card.

Nah man, you ain't old. But no way in hell I want to be running in 8 years.

LOL

Okay, *now* I'm in.

Awww jof....but you missed all the good stuff :laugh:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Only if the human isn't caught first and turned into lunch.

Look, I know it's something that is repeated often, but it is not really very true. You put a human out in the wild and they won't be outrunning anything - they'll be eaten. What allows us to "run longer and farther" isn't our physiology, it's the fact we live in the equivalent of organized herds and can usually fend of much faster animals long enough to live long enough to "run longer and farther".

I thought the basis of that whole theory was that we outran our prey, not what was preying on us.
    I know in Born to Run it did break down why we could theoretically run longer over distance than a lion and other animals, even dogs, which is what I assume that poster is getting at, not that we do or are supposed to outrun all animals for survival.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    omg, border line genius...

1264091579_kirk_rofl.gif
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    @ uconnwinsnc Saying that humans are the only animals that can run for that long is completely inaccurate. There is no need for any animal to run for that long, including humans. It is just that humans DECIDE to go longer. Actually that's not true either. There are plenty of dogs for example that could do that then nap and do it all over again. I have a golden retriever and she could easily do that.

No - humans can outrun anything. It's how we used to catch our food. We need less sleep than canines (much less) and we have greater endurance than any other land mammal. While we may not beat many animals in the 100 yard dash, when it comes to the distance chase, we've got 'em all beat.

Perhaps because other animals are too smart to go out and run 26 miles for fun. '

I keed, I keed. :)

I'm just bitter because my running got sidetracked from a falling down the stairs injury. I bet all the animals are better at stairs than me.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Whew, made it through, again, thanks everyone for the contributions, I got lots of giggles from this as well as some great info. I'm going to try the refueling first and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work we'll try increasing distance on my weekday runs, I'm just hesitant on this because of the time commitment issue. I tend to get stressed/overwhelmed when I start spending more than 45 minutes a day working out during the work week.

I'm not "really" training for anything at this point, I used to do 6 to 10 mile runs all the time in college and just wanted to get back to that because I enjoyed it. I have thought about training for a marathon but I'm honestly not sure if that's something I want to do at this point. It just angers me when I want my body to do something and it refuses to cooperate :tongue:

I do try most of the mental tricks, make myself run until I finish the song, and then make myself run until the end of the next song. Now, don't throw anything at me for this, but right now I'm running on a treadmill (my excuse is running outdoors where I live is aweful/disgusting/inconvienient/potentially hazardous), so I put my kindle over the clock and don't let myself look until I've finished the chapter etc. I am looking for somewhere to do some of my runs outdoors, but the thought of having to DRIVE somewhere to run outside just annoys me to no end, I never had this problem in Virginia of California.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    i recommend the book "born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. great story about long distance running.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    right now I'm running on a treadmill

what?? more power to you. i can barely do 20 minutes on a treadmill. 90 minutes just seems like torture to me.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    right now I'm running on a treadmill

what?? more power to you. i can barely do 20 minutes on a treadmill. 90 minutes just seems like torture to me.

You can do 20 minutes? I'm impressed. Seriously, about 5 minutes on a treadmill and I start thinking up creative ways to end it. Many of them aren't even legal. My favorite is when I try to pull the fire alarm using telekinesis.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Lol, one word, Houston, trust me, the treadmill is preferable.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Lol, one word, Houston, trust me, the treadmill is preferable.

i'm sure it's not as bad as you think.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Totally off-topic, but, as someone who's spent a good deal of time "in the wild," I'm going to have to disagree with this. Large portions of the human population still live "in the wild." Persistence hunting is an actual fact. Avoiding predation isn't as big of an issue as you might think, and is more about observation than organization or running. Most people that live in the bush are killed by diseases and malnutrition. Many are killed by other people. Of those that are killed by animals, it's usually not about predation. Insects carry disease. Large herbivores can be territorial and quite aggressive. Snakes will bite when threatened. We're not the natural prey of any predator and they harm humans usually only when threatened.

The fact is, we're physiologically able to run longer and farther than other animals (while clearly not matching many for speed). The main issue is our ability to sweat. We can cool our bodies efficiently even on very hot days, when no other reasonable mammal would be running at all. I work for an emergency vet and I have seen how easy it is to run a dog to death. We've treated dogs for heat stroke that weren't run at all, but only walked on a hot day. Another issue is that, not being quadrupeds, our breathing is independent of our gait (I learned that from _Born to Run_.

Also, running away from a lion (or any big cat) is a very bad idea. You should stand your ground. You're taller than them. If you act dangerous, they will likely run away from you (unless they're a man-eater, which is rare). If you decide to run, it's likely the last decision you make.