Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Saboteurs

13»

Replies

• 5MommaJ
    5MommaJ Posts: 35 Member
    I understand how tough it is to have saboteurs around. My husband is a saboteur. Sometimes circumstance takes us away from home at mealtime.... to the buffet (Chinese or pizza) we go. Or Friday night fried food at home. Saboteur! He thinks he is being nice to me and I am being accommodating to him but the more I call him a saboteur and the longer I stick with making good choices and exercising the easier it is getting for both of us to change our habits. That is my suggestion for you.. get a plan and stick with it gradually your parents will come to understand your plan. Doesn't mean they will change their old habits die hard as well but even if some of the food changes it will be a help. If your mom or dad does the food shopping I would put in some request for food that you can eat. Also you might look up new recipes for your mom to try. Eatingwell.com is a sight I really like. If you have time you could even cook meals with your mom and experiment with ways to cut out fat. for example replace oil with applesauce in baking or switch deep frying (oh the pain of it) with oven roasting.
    Good luck to you.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    sabotage.gif
    Woot! I was hoping that somebody else likes the Beasties!!
    thanks

Greatest music video ever.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Any advice?

Yeah - start taking ownership for your own decisions.

Calling people "saboteurs" when all they are really doing is not going out of their way to make life easy for you is a pretty self-centred way of looking at the world.
  • 5MommaJ
    5MommaJ Posts: 35 Member
    I understand how tough it is to have saboteurs around. My husband is a saboteur. Sometimes circumstance takes us away from home at mealtime.... to the buffet (Chinese or pizza) we go. Or Friday night fried food at home. Saboteur! He thinks he is being nice to me and I am being accommodating to him but the more I call him a saboteur and the longer I stick with making good choices and exercising the easier it is getting for both of us to change our habits. That is my suggestion for you.. get a plan and stick with it gradually your parents will come to understand your plan. Doesn't mean they will change their old habits die hard as well but even if some of the food changes it will be a help. If your mom or dad does the food shopping I would put in some request for food that you can eat. Also you might look up new recipes for your mom to try. Eatingwell.com is a sight I really like. If you have time you could even cook meals with your mom and experiment with ways to cut out fat. for example replace oil with applesauce in baking or switch deep frying (oh the pain of it) with oven roasting.
    Good luck to you.
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Were you an overweight kid living in the same house and now you are the one making a change? I fight this battle every time I go home to visit and honestly haven't won yet...it's tough! Remember why you started your journey. Supplement the food that's available in the house with quick snacks that you can grab and go. Don't look the in pantry if you don't have to. Put your healthy alternatives in a different location so you don't see what other choices might be available. If the environment is one where parents are going to cook and expect you to eat, then it might be better to develop a crazier schedule that has you eating else where (if you can make good choices eating out) or one that has you eating at hours that are off your parents normal schedule so you can cook for yourself. Good luck, let us know what works out for you!
  • I prefer the phrase, "Food Pusher".

I'm not going to pile on with any other things about your living situation.

My Dad is a Food Pusher. I can walk away but my husband can't. When we visit, he is always offering us stuff. He is being nice and he is elderly, so we cut him some slack. I've even told him not to offer my husband things, but he forgets and does it anyway, then complains that my husband's belly is too big.

So I feel your pain. But many have made good suggstions. Buy your own stuff, cook your own stuff or just watch portions.

Portion control is probably a problem with you, or you wouldn't be overweight to begin with. So I suggest you have a food escape on hand to eat when one of your trigger foods is there.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    you are 38, living with your parents and THEY are the saboteurs ?????

grow up & get your own place .....

:noway:
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Does anyone else have saboteurs around them? Seriously. This is getting rough. At this time, I am living with my parents while I am going back to school full time, and the food that gets brought in here is unbelievably tough. I have talked to them, but it isn't helping. Any advice? Feel free to add me please. I can always use the motivation. Still 60lbs to go.
    :happy:

Two people (me and a relative) trying to lose. So third family member asks for chips and such (and he's the last one who should be asking, because he's a diabetic).