21 Day Paleo Cleanse beginning tomorrow, who's interested?

Options

Replies

• jent752012
    Options
    I would love too, but I don't have a source for affordable/good meats/fats. Avocados are $1.50-$3 each here and I cannot afford grain-fed anything, much less find a source for it. We eat deer meat when my DH gets one, but it doesn't last very long. I have several 6ft+ tall people to buy for when I get groceries (they won't go paleo), which doesn't leave me with much $ for the healthy stuff that I need to get. All of the chicken at the store says it has 10% broth/salt/etc added to it. I can kinda afford that, but I don't know it it's good enough. I've already eliminated grains/breads because it makes me feel like crap for days when I eat it. I'm also really sensitive to anything with sugar so I already stay away from that. I've been eating hotdogs, eggs, dill pickles, apples, potatoes, tilapia (when I can find it), kale, spinach, etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have started doing Paleo about 3 weeks ago but after the New Years holiday I had fallen off a bit so have decided to do a 21 day cleanse doing strict Paleo.

What do you plan to do after 21 days?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The only true "paleo" cleanse is to finding a stagnant body of water and drinking a couple of litres worth.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have started doing Paleo about 3 weeks ago but after the New Years holiday I had fallen off a bit so have decided to do a 21 day cleanse doing strict Paleo.

Are you seriously curious or just waiting for OP to answer so that you can rip into that as well?

This post said it best:
    Meh, let 'em try it. No harm done to me. It's not like the OP is preaching this is the best diet in the world. He's just looking for other people who want to try it with him. As for me? I enjoy all the non-paleo foods, thank you very much. Good luck y'all!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Are you seriously curious or just waiting for OP to answer so that you can rip into that as well?

This post said it best:
    Meh, let 'em try it. No harm done to me. It's not like the OP is preaching this is the best diet in the world. He's just looking for other people who want to try it with him. As for me? I enjoy all the non-paleo foods, thank you very much. Good luck y'all!

I think the point of the question is "skip the 'cleanse' and just enact the long-term plan now."
  • dare2love81
    Options

This post said it best:

I think the point of the question is "skip the 'cleanse' and just enact the long-term plan now."

Seemed more like it was a "bait and trap" question to me. *shrugs*

OP - sorry, not trying to hijack your thread. I hope you can find some people willing to go paleo with you for the next 21 days. There's plenty of paleo eaters out there! :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    Options

you seriously curious or just waiting for OP to answer so that you can rip into that as well?

This post said it best:

Seemed more like it was a "bait and trap" question to me. *shrugs*

OP - sorry, not trying to hijack your thread. I hope you can find some people willing to go paleo with you for the next 21 days. There's plenty of paleo eaters out there! :flowerforyou:

Yes, sometimes that's a good tactic to help someone come to the conclusion themselves, instead of simply handing it to them ;)
  • bcattoes
    Options

Truly curious.

ETA: If the diet itself is a short term cleanse, then I was just curious what comes after the cleanse.
  • dare2love81
    Options

Truly curious.

ETA: If the diet itself is a short term cleanse, then I was just curious what comes after the cleanse.

No, the paleo diet is not a short term cleanse. It's a way of eating. And the "cleanse" OP is referring to is just the first stage of "going paleo". It's not actually a "cleanse" at all. It's essentially just ridding your diet of carbs from grains and starches and dairy. There's more to it, but that's the simplified answer. Then, after 30 days, once your body has adjusted to the lack of carbs and learns to procure energy from fats instead of carbs, you can add back dairy if you prefer.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Truly curious.

No, the paleo diet is not a short term cleanse. It's a way of eating. And the "cleanse" OP is referring to is just the first stage of "going paleo". It's not actually a "cleanse" at all. It's essentially just ridding your diet of carbs from grains and starches and dairy. There's more to it, but that's the simplified answer. Then, after 30 days, once your body has adjusted to the lack of carbs and learns to procure energy from fats instead of carbs, you can add back dairy if you prefer.

So... after you "teach your body not to use carbs" you give it carbs again...? Wut?

This is silly.
  • dscheetz1988
    Options
    Great guys! Some key points is to eliminate bread, dairy (chesse, milk etc...) no grains and stay away from bad carbs like potatoes and pasta. Also no sugar expect for two servings of fruit per day. I use Almond milk in my coffee which works great! Its surely a big change but after about a week you get into a groove. Their are plenty of Paleo recipes online for sure so anyone who trys some recipes that are a hit feel free to share!

Thanks

Quick question, how do you gain energy for exercise? Just curious, i like the idea of paleo though.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Truly curious.

Just to clarify, you are not OP, correct?

The OP said they were doing "strict Paleo" as a cleanse. If that doesn't mean the diet is the cleanse, then what does it mean?

What you describe is not Paleo though. The Paleo diet does not allow dairy. The OP said 21 days but you say 30 days. Are you describing what the OP is doing at all? Or are you talking about something like Whole 30?
  • dare2love81
    Options

Truly curious.

So... after you "teach your body not to use carbs" you give it carbs again...? Wut?

This is silly.

Dairy does not typically have a lot of carbs in it, unless it is high in sugar. Oh - probably should've also mentioned that paleo does not allow for any added sugars that don't naturally occur in fruits and veggies. So no, adding back dairy does not = giving it carbs.

Why are we discussing this? This has nothing to do with OP's request. I'm not here to advocate for it or not advocate for it. OP was not trying to tell people they should eat paleo, nor am I, I'm just telling you all what "eating paleo" means. Sheesh.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Truly curious.

This is silly.

Dairy does not typically have a lot of carbs in it, unless it is high in sugar. Oh - probably should've also mentioned that paleo does not allow for any added sugars that don't naturally occur in fruits and veggies. So no, adding back dairy does not = giving it carbs.

Why are we discussing this? This has nothing to do with OP's request. I'm not here to advocate for it or not advocate for it. OP was not trying to tell people they should eat paleo, nor am I, I'm just telling you all what "eating paleo" means. Sheesh.

Milk has more sugar than protein. And it's not added sugar. So....
  • bcattoes
    Options

What is your source for Paleo diet criteria?
  • dare2love81
    Options

Truly curious.

Just to clarify, you are not OP, correct?

The OP said they were doing "strict Paleo" as a cleanse. If that doesn't mean the diet is the cleanse, then what does it mean?

What you describe is not Paleo though. The Paleo diet does not allow dairy. The OP said 21 days but you say 30 days. Are you describing what the OP is doing at all? Or are you talking about something like Whole 30?

No, I am not OP, and I am done answering questions. If you know what paleo is, then stop asking questions about it in a thread that is not aimed at looking for feedback on the diet. OP was simply looking for support while he eats strict paleo for 21 days. There are several different timeframes for what the initial period of eating paleo should be, but it's typically around 30 days. Maybe OP just wants to do it for 3 weeks. Who cares. And yes, paleo DOES allow for dairy, however this is usually considered more primal than paleo.

Now, if you're done trying to prove yourself, we can be done with this thread. And maybe, if you know so much about paleo, you can offer some support to OP instead of trying to call him out in his thread.

Have a good day! :flowerforyou:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    It teaches your body to use fats as a form of energy in place of the carbs.

Do you really believe your body needs to be taught to use fat as a form of energy?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yes because Homo erectus could count 21 days and needed to cleanse his or her system out on a regular basis.....
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off Paleo for about a year, with no real weight loss during my paleo "on" phases. I do notice that when I generally stick to the framework, I feel better and I look better, regardless of what the scale says. I don't follow the strict guidelines of Whole30, but focus more on whole, unprocessed meat, fruits, and veggies. I do go for whole, unprocessed dairy and red wine (and a little sugar here and there!) a few times a week, too. I completely ignored my diet after my last strict paleo challenge in June, and gained a ton of weight and felt terrible. Just since the new year, I've been incorporating the whole, unprocessed foods approach as much as possible, and I'm already happier with my workouts, the way I look, and most importantly, the way I feel! I try to avoid gluten as much as possible because it gives me stomach issues, not because it's "paleo".

People who hate Paleo just for hating something's sake are really annoying.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Deleted post