Why aren't healthier foods priced lower than junk foods?

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    The premise is BS.
  • pastorcaz
    pastorcaz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think you will find food is now acknowledged as an addiction. Watch the news this morning, plus it's not just sugar, it's far more than that
  • pastorcaz
    pastorcaz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you can afford to have delivered organic food. Not everyone can
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I think you will find food is now acknowledged as an addiction. Watch the news this morning, plus it's not just sugar, it's far more than that

I guess because the TV says so, it must be true. :huh:

I'm waiting for the day a recovering drug addict joins MFP and puts all of these "food is an addiction" statements in perspective.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you can afford to have delivered organic food. Not everyone can

Cheaper than buying at the supermarket.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I heard water was an addiction too..........if we don't get it every 3 days we will die.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    We have an obesity problem in this country and the supermarkets and government are not helping the situation. Food is an addiction just like smoking and drinking, yet the amount of help available is nil in comparison. I've just started getting together with other people who need to lose weight. If the government are not going to support us then people need to get into small self help groups and support each other.

How and why should the Government "support" and "help" the situation? By putting more labels on foods? By doing a survey and saying "Well, you are obese and your kids are obese therefore you're only allowed to buy this kind of food."

Who is going to fund the "support" and "help" from the Government?

The information is out there people just choose not to read it or use it. More Government control is never the answer.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    While most press has been jumping on the anti-sugar fad (including the guardian), there was one good article in there which mentioned "do people know that fizzy drink and mars bars haver a lot of sugar in?" And of course, most people do.
    They might not know tomato soup has that much sugar in it, but it doesn't actually have that many calories, so not a big thing to worry about to my mind.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

No, it's not. It's a bad habit with a plethora of causes, but it's not an addiction - even if TV tells you so to make you feel a certain way. Televisions are for entertainment, not diagnosing mental disorders or physical dependence.

A body becomes accustomed to the results of lifestyle habits. It is preprogrammed to preserve life by defaulting to a status quo and avoiding drastic changes.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    We have an obesity problem in this country and the supermarkets and government are not helping the situation. Food is an addiction just like smoking and drinking, yet the amount of help available is nil in comparison. I've just started getting together with other people who need to lose weight. If the government are not going to support us then people need to get into small self help groups and support each other.

How and why should the Government "support" and "help" the situation? By putting more labels on foods? By doing a survey and saying "Well, you are obese and your kids are obese therefore you're only allowed to buy this kind of food."

Who is going to fund the "support" and "help" from the Government?

The information is out there people just choose not to read it or use it. More Government control is never the answer.

total government control is not an answer, but total government perversion to benefit food manufactuers doesnt seem to be working out well either - except for the folks selling the food.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    They changed the recipe for Pot Noodles to reduce salt and/or sugar, and now they taste like bum.

I don't eat them any more.

Same with baked beans, and a variety of other things.

Fair enough, if you're eating 4 tins of baked beans a day, the fact they had 25% of your RDA of salt, or 30% of your RDA of sugar would be a problem.

But a single portion, as part of a healthy and varied diet, is not a problem.

People need more variety in their diets.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    It's not the removal of items, the problem is the fillers they add in their stead.

Look at all the folks who fall victim to "low fat" foods which just get more calories from carb fillers.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Commoditization.

/endthread
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It's not the removal of items, the problem is the fillers they add in their stead.

Look at all the folks who fall victim to "low fat" foods which just get more calories from carb fillers.

And yet all those things are on the label. It's not some big secret what's in a can of food.
  • Greytfish
    Options

And yet all those things are on the label. It's not some big secret what's in a can of food.

Of course not. The problem is the buying food in a can to start.

That said, unless you make every single sauce and flavoring yourself, from scratch, it's now quite difficult to avoid things that 10 years ago were easy to avoid.

The U.S. has actually subsidized itself into a food realm of many options but few actual choices.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I've saved about $100/month just for myself buying healthier things and using portion control. Healthier foods only seem more expensive up front because people only look at the cost of the whole rather than how much each meal will cost when they make it and portion it out.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Of course not. The problem is the buying food in a can to start.

That said, unless you make every single sauce and flavoring yourself, from scratch, it's now quite difficult to avoid things that 10 years ago were easy to avoid.

The U.S. has actually subsidized itself into a food realm of many options but few actual choices.

What choices do you lack?
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    The problem is the buying food in a can to start.

There is nothing wrong with canned foods.

The problem is not keeping track of what you're eating and how much of it you're eating.

I can eat bolognese in a can every day of the week for cheap and still lose weight and get healthy.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    i guess i can be happy to live in a place where gmo food isnt allowed to be old, and where fast food costs more than a normal lunch at a restaurant

Just where in the world is this Utopia?