Why aren't healthier foods priced lower than junk foods?

Options

Replies

• HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    There are so many factors you have ignored, it's mind boggling - including almost all of modern medicine. I'm not certain why you think the opposite of a healthy body is death as opposed to say, an unhealthy body with chronic dysfunction.

I left it out for a reason.

We're talking about food. Medical science doesn't undo the supposed damages caused by all the "bad" foods we have these days. And you can't distinguish between nutrition or being sedentary (and overweight as a result) as a cause for chronic illness.

I also said you "may" have that reaction, not that you do. What, exactly - and provide evidence please - is your problem with pre-prepared food? where do you get the idea that food is less nutritionally dense nowadays?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Was anyone arguing that you weren't more fit? That does not, by necessity mean you are healthier than she is or vice versa, given the role that genetics plays. It does mean you're probably making more of an effort to toward fitness.

My point was that so much of the focus seems to be on overweight sedentary people trying to get to a healthy weight and basic fitness, that discussions completely ignore the fact that not everyone is starting at that point. Some people have made changes and are trying to maintain. Some people are pursuing health/fitness and starting from a place of healthy body composition. Some people are pursuing goals beyond that. Yet, discussions here get sidetracked as if health and fitness were a single issue of portion control.

Here's MY point.

The site is called MY *FITNESS* PAL!
    I KNOW that not everyone is here at the starting point.
    *I'm* not even here at the starting point!

But this isn't My HEALTHFOOD Pal.
    One doesn't have to "eat clean" to be fit.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    Not sure how serious you are being here but...
    1. I would have no idea how to make a McDonald's burger at home. I don't know what they put in it, but it isn't what I put in a hamburger at home.

2. Why are we living longer? We have lots better medical treatments. When you factor in the way we deal with infant mortality, we will live longer on average even if we all eat the Oreos. We are unhealthier in our youth, even if we aren't dying by the billions.

Half serious.

Here you go: http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/food/burgers/whats-in-a-mcdonalds-beef-burger-and-how-is-it-made.html

Unhealthier in our youth due to nutritional habits and advancements, or due to the fact we move much less? there is no answer to this question... but conventional wisdom will tell you that a physically active lifestyle does more for good health than being pedantic about what you eat.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

Was anyone arguing that you weren't more fit? That does not, by necessity mean you are healthier than she is or vice versa, given the role that genetics plays. It does mean you're probably making more of an effort to toward fitness.

My point was that so much of the focus seems to be on overweight sedentary people trying to get to a healthy weight and basic fitness, that discussions completely ignore the fact that not everyone is starting at that point. Some people have made changes and are trying to maintain. Some people are pursuing health/fitness and starting from a place of healthy body composition. Some people are pursuing goals beyond that. Yet, discussions here get sidetracked as if health and fitness were a single issue of portion control.

Here's MY point.

Fitness is a continuum.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen, there are much stronger correlations between healthiness and fitness than healthiness and eating foods such people deem 'good'.

So, as per the recent lose weight/become healthier on McDonalds posts go to show, if people are going to focus on something, it should probably be becoming fitter and less obese, rather than whether their tomatoes were grown with manure from a drove fed purely on organically grown fair-trade artichokes imported from the Sudan.

And yes on the fitness thing - some year ago I did a paragliding day. A couple there had a go at me for using a gym generally - when there's a great outdoors, healthy (sic) food and so on. Despite my training being particularly unstructured in those days, I was the only one to be able to run fast enough to get a decent bit of air time to fly across the valley. Ok, it was only 11 seconds - but that was better than the hippy-people that ended up stumbling down a hill with the wing stopping them from dying, but not actually leaving the ground.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    There are so many factors you have ignored, it's mind boggling - including almost all of modern medicine. I'm not certain why you think the opposite of a healthy body is death as opposed to say, an unhealthy body with chronic dysfunction.

I left it out for a reason.

We're talking about food. Medical science doesn't undo the supposed damages caused by all the "bad" foods we have these days. And you can't distinguish between nutrition or being sedentary (and overweight as a result) as a cause for chronic illness.

I also said you "may" have that reaction, not that you do. What, exactly - and provide evidence please - is your problem with pre-prepared food? where do you get the idea that food is less nutritionally dense nowadays?

Medical science doesn't undo the damage? :laugh: That will come as quite a shock to people who have had cardiac catheterizations. People who have eaten their way to blocked arteries die at far lower rates than previously.

Again, I did not say I have a "problem" with pre-prepared food. Almost everything I eat is prepared ahead of time.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Here's MY point.

Fitness is a continuum.

No, not really.
    Fitness is subjective.

YOUR idea of fitness is to "eat clean"

Mine is not and will never be.
    "eating clean" CAN be a component, but doesn't have to be.
  • funkim55
    funkim55 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You are so right. Fresh fruits and vegetables cost more than junk food. This is the reason America is overweight!!! Please post a copy of your letter; hopefully, we can all begin support groups in our area. Good Luck!!!
  • HappyStack
    Options
    Medical science doesn't undo the damage? :laugh: That will come as quite a shock to people who have had cardiac catheterizations. People who have eaten their way to blocked arteries die at far lower rates than previously.

Again, I did not say I have a "problem" with pre-prepared food. Almost everything I eat is prepared ahead of time.

Heart caths are largely diagnostic, you're talking about atherosclerosis which is treated with a pill and/or losing weight and exercising (or as a last resort - angioplasty - which widens the artery and doesn't remove the plaque), but aside from that... temporarily fix, or undo? people who undergo these procedures still have underlying problems.

Keep on dancing around the questions. You have no proof of anything you're saying with regards to convenience foods being unhealthy.

And it matters, in case you're wondering, because people reading your responses who genuinely can't afford to lose weight and become healthier by not relying on convenience foods might get the idea that it's hopeless to even try. It isn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    You miss the point that we can medically detect and medically treat conditions that once were silent killers. By no means can you live any way you like and rely on medical science to keep you alive indefinitely, but there are a whole lot of people alive today in spite of their poor diet and lifestyle.

Again, the discussion topic is affordability of "junk" food versus healthier foods. If you don't understand that flash frozen vegetables are more nutritious than those in a can, I can't help you.

Where, in comparing the relative merits of different foods do you think I argued that people cannot get healthier on anything but the highest quality foods? Nowhere.

People reading my responses or any others will generally take from them what reinforces their own desires and motivations. If they want to believe that they can only afford junk food, they will. If they want to believ junk food = convenience food, they will.

Plenty of people here manage to eat healthier foods affordably.
  • Greytfish
    Options

Here's MY point.

Fitness is a continuum.

No, not really.
    Fitness is subjective.

YOUR idea of fitness is to "eat clean"

Mine is not and will never be.
    "eating clean" CAN be a component, but doesn't have to be.

Again, you're making arguments based on false assumptions.

Fitness is a continuum. Genetics, lifestyle, and diet as well as injuries and illnesses place people at different places on the continuum, but fitness is a lifelong journey, not a destination.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    What choices do you lack?

I don't lack any, but that's because I cook from scratch. However, if I wanted ten years ago to pick up a BBQ sauce made with cane sugars and no corn syrup, I could do so easily. We have since spent millions of taxpayer dollars subsidizing corn, corn syrup, and HFCS so that of the 47 brands I checked in three stores and two states (6 stores total, as they have different stock and markets) only one did not contain corn syrup.

There is nothing wrong with canned foods.

The problem is not keeping track of what you're eating and how much of it you're eating.

I can eat bolognese in a can every day of the week for cheap and still lose weight and get healthy.

THE problem?

There are plenty of things wrong with canned foods.

Name one thing that is wrong with canned vegetables.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I really need to go to a growers market but usually just end up going to the big supermarkets to buy crappy half dead fruit n veg.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    Again, the discussion topic is affordability of "junk" food versus healthier foods. If you don't understand that flash frozen vegetables are more nutritious than those in a can, I can't help you.

Nutritious in what sense?

Higher in carbs? lower in fat? higher in protein? quality of those macros?

Micronutrients, like vitamin A, calcium, iron, etc?
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Name one thing that is wrong with canned vegetables.

They lose significant vitamins and minerals in the harvesting and heat canning process.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    I really need to go to a growers market but usually just end up going to the big supermarkets to buy crappy half dead fruit n veg.

If you shop for what's on sale or in season, you can save money by either eating what's in season or buying it when it's more affordable and freezing it for later use. It works better with some items than others, but you really can save money without even changing where you shop.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    That isn't just attributable to the canning process.

It's ANY heating process.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Fitness is a continuum. Genetics, lifestyle, and diet as well as injuries and illnesses place people at different places on the continuum, but fitness is a lifelong journey, not a destination.

No, you're making arguments based on your opinion or motivational posters or something.

It's not a "journey".
    It's not a "continuum"

It's a choice.

Certainly, illnesses happen, people have food intolerances, etc.
    But people who don't have "pre-existing conditions" absolutely DO NOT NEED to eat "clean" to achieve and sustain physical fitness.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    That isn't just attributable to the canning process.

It's ANY heating process.

Again, I didn't assert that heating was only in the canning process. Canned peas, if heated by the consumer prior to eating, have undergone a minimum of three heating processes - over and above heat they have expereinced during transport and storage. All of that is on top of the fact that they have the longest lag time between being picked and reaching the consumer.

Again, if you go back an read, what I asserted was that flash frozen vegetables are overall more nutritious than fresh vegetables, and fresh vegetables are more nutritious than canned vegetables. It doesn't mean any of them are going to kill you, assuming you don't have a rare pea allergy.

No, you're making arguments based on your opinion or motivational posters or something.

It's not a "journey".
    It's not a "continuum"

It's a choice.

Certainly, illnesses happen, people have food intolerances, etc.
    But people who don't have "pre-existing conditions" absolutely DO NOT NEED to eat "clean" to achieve and sustain physical fitness.

You'll notice you're the only one referring to "clean eating."

Please, not the pre-existing tangent again. It has nothing to do with the relative quality of junk foods and healthier foods.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    I must be vitamin deficient because I reheat leftovers.

h4EC62FC8

http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-2e.shtml

Honestly, you should be getting far more than your RDA of all vitamins and minerals through a varied diet. Especially if your other foods are fortified with water-soluble heat-sensitive vitamins and minerals (like cereals, fortified with folate [folic acid], or milk).