Why aren't healthier foods priced lower than junk foods?

Options

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    When I am living in India, I buy a whole weeks worth of fresh fruits and vegetables for 11 dollars.

The same amount of food in Charlotte NC costs me 50. I stood at the cash register and almost cried. Needless to say, my trip back to India at the end of the month can not come fast enough for me. Not to mention, fresh young coconuts are a quarter.
  • toy_
    toy_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Echoing what many others have said, I live in the US and at Walmart and other large grocery stores, vegetables are more expensive than a burger at McDonald's, but I can go to a farmer's market and get tons of vegetables for $5. Farmer's markets are the way to go.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I don't think you really understand the price structure. Eating fresh food is way cheaper.

Really?

Then how come when I go to the grocery store and perimeter shop and buy fresh foods my bill is $100-$150/week? If I were to go up and down the aisles and buy the stuff that's always on sale I guarantee my bill would be less.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I don't think the cost of healthier foods explains the widespread obesity problem. A lot of it is laziness - having frozen heat 'n eat meal or going to a restaurant instead of cooking. My husband and I are definitely saving loads of money because now we only eat out for dinner once a week instead of 2-3 times and we are packing our lunch for work much more often than we have in the past.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    i guess i can be happy to live in a place where gmo food isnt allowed to be old, and where fast food costs more than a normal lunch at a restaurant

Just where in the world is this Utopia?

Europe?

It is perfectly possible in most of France (if I remember, its been a while) to get a decent, home cooked meal for less than McDonalds or Quick (the burger chains seem to be pretty expensive there, maybe because novelty value).
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Read "Your Food is Fooling You." It's written by a former head of the FDA. It was a HUGE eye-opener for me.

Yes, food is an addiction. Particularly foods high in sugar, fat & salt. These chemicals light up the reward center in our brain, making us want more and more.

In the early '90's, a study was done where children aged 3-7 were given a high-calorie snack in the mid-afternoon. 80% of the children ate less at dinner in order to auto-regulate their calorie intake for the day.
    In 2008, the same study was conducted and only 20% of the children ate less, and ALL of them over-ate for the day. It is genetic, it is evolving, and unless you re-train your body, it WILL get worse.

The food companies know this and profit off of it.

The ability to make chemicals taste like food (i.e. strawberry syrup, cheese doritos, etc) has become a multi-billion dollar industry.

The reason for this being it is in fact CHEAPER for the companies to make "junk food' than it is for them to make healthier food.

Grocery stores don't dictate bulk prices of food: the individual food companies who sell it to them do. The store's price is based on the bulk price.

That is why.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I think you will find food is now acknowledged as an addiction. Watch the news this morning, plus it's not just sugar, it's far more than that
    News organizations are an entertainment industry and don't make money based on how true or accurate their stories are, but how entertaining they are.

Food is not an addiction, it is something that is required to sustain life. The problem is that many people never learn the simple life skill of moderating their intake and many also mistakenly believe that hunger and exertion are things that should never be experienced.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Wonder what the wholesale price of tinfoil hats is and whether one can really make a profit from them in the retail market ;)
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Food is not an addiction, it is something that is required to sustain life. The problem is that many people never learn the simple life skill of moderating their intake and many also mistakenly believe that hunger and exertion are things that should never be experienced.

I think this is closer to the mark - an awful lot of jobs are sedentary now and for those who have not discovered logging foods, it is very easy to overeat because they dont move about much.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Note that for those not in the UK, one of todays biggest stories is some nannying fussbuckets demanding additional controls on woods, given reporting that levels of obesity in the UK are increasing faster than previously anticipated.

As ever the solutions are all about state micromanagement of the life of the individual, rather than improving information about the issues and solutions. It's all about fat and sugar content.

All that said, one of the journos last night did capture it as "is't is about moving more and eating less" but nobody followed up on it.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I think you will find food is now acknowledged as an addiction. Watch the news this morning, plus it's not just sugar, it's far more than that
    News organizations are an entertainment industry and don't make money based on how true or accurate their stories are, but how entertaining they are.

SIGH....this is the kind of stuff that kills people. If you are not an addict or understand addiction, offering the opinion that people never learned to moderate is incredibly irresponsible. Please refrain from such garbage in the future.

The idea that a person can be addicted to food has recently gotten more support from science.

Experiments in animals and humans show that, for some people, the same reward and pleasure centers of the brain that are triggered by addictive drugs like cocaine and heroin are also activated by food, especially highly palatable foods. Highly palatable foods are foods rich in:

Sugar
    Fat
    Salt

Like addictive drugs, highly palatable foods trigger feel-good brain chemicals such as dopamine. Once people experience pleasure associated with increased dopamine transmission in the brain's reward pathway from eating certain foods, they quickly feel the need to eat again.

The reward signals from highly palatable foods may override other signals of fullness and satisfaction. As a result, people keep eating, even when they're not hungry.

People who show signs of food addiction may also develop a tolerance to food. They eat more and more, only to find that food satisfies them less and less.

Scientists believe that food addiction may play an important role in obesity. But normal-weight people may also struggle with food addiction. Their bodies may simply be genetically programmed to better handle the extra calories they take in. Or they may increase their physical activity to compensate for overeating.

People who are addicted to food will continue to eat despite negative consequences, such as weight gain or damaged relationships. And like people who are addicted to drugs or gambling, people who are addicted to food will have trouble stopping their behavior, even if they want to or have tried many times to cut back.
    Signs of Food Addiction

Researchers at Yale University's Rudd Center for Food Science & Policy have developed a questionnaire to identify people with food addictions.

Here's a sample of questions that can help determine if you have a food addiction. Do these actions apply to you? Do you:

End up eating more than planned when you start eating certain foods
    Keep eating certain foods even if you're no longer hungry
    Eat to the point of feeling ill
    Worry about not eating certain types of foods or worry about cutting down on certain types of foods
    When certain foods aren't available, go out of your way to obtain them

The questionnaire also asks about the impact of your relationship with food on your personal life. Do these situations apply to you:

You eat certain foods so often or in such large amounts that you start eating food instead of working, spending time with the family, or doing recreational activities.
    You avoid professional or social situations where certain foods are available because of fear of overeating.
    You have problems functioning effectively at your job or school because of food and eating.

The questionnaire asks about withdrawal symptoms. For example, when you cut down on certain foods (excluding caffeinated beverages), do you have symptoms such as:

Anxiety
    Agitation
    Other physical symptoms

The questionnaire also tries to gauge the impact of food decisions on your emotions. Do these situations apply to you?

Eating food causes problems such as depression, anxiety, self-loathing, or guilt.
    You need to eat more and more food to reduce negative emotions or increase pleasure.
    Eating the same amount of food doesn't reduce negative emotions or increase pleasure the way it used to.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed that most buy one get one free and special offers are on junk food and high in fats and sugar?

Not always though. This week my grocery store is having a sale on frozen shrimp-- buy two bags and get three free! They also had buy one get one free on frozen vegetables, peanuts, blueberries, and canned tomatoes. Plus lots of fresh vegetables and fruits and fish on sale. I saved $116 on groceries yesterday and didn't buy any junk food. :)
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Food is cheap in the US. For those traveling from Europe (or especially Scandinavia), it's incredible how much cheaper it is - yes, regular groceries too, not just junk food.
    Sure the salaries are lower in the US but at the end of the day, Americans spend a much smaller percentage of their income on food than other countries. They are also less willing to spend time cooking and eating their food. There is a strong correlation between eating habits and obesity - eating in front of the telly causes people to not enjoy their food and eat faster.
    Americans spend about half the time eating on a regular day than French people do. And the obesity rate is wayy higher.

If you're used to food being a marginal cost out of your total budget, then proper meals will feel expensive. Food is a real cost for me, but I do prioritize it.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    because doctors wouldn't be able to prescribe all those lovely medication people need from getting sick from eating junk food. Diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, stress all stem from an unhealthy diet (yes some is hereditary but I am speaking of those who have these from being overweight). if we could easily buy a bag of almonds for the same price as a bag of oreos, doctors would lose money. But instead you can get oreos 2/5$ but almonds are almost 6 $ a pound. At least this is my opinion.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    At least this is my opinion.
    Is this 'opinion' based on fact or guess work?

Why are almonds specifically healthy and oreos not if both are incorporated in to a diet that meets a specific person's requirements?
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

Why are almonds specifically healthy and oreos not if both are incorporated in to a diet that meets a specific person's requirements?

opinion don't have to be based on anything which is why they are opinions. I am entitle to mine and you are entitled to yours. Stop trolling.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Healthier foods are almost invariably less expensive than "junk food" (unless you've bought into the hype surrounding "organic" products). Buy basic ingredients and cook from scratch, it's not rocket science. (I can feed my family a nutritious home made meal for less than a trip to the golden arches.....)

I do, however, agree with the OP's premise that ultimately we must take individual responsibility for our own health - inasmuch as there are certain factors we can control (what we eat, regular exercise, avoiding tobacco etc). I'm not sure what she means in respect to governments not "helping", I can see government departments of health being involved in educational programs (which they are to some extent in Canada at least) but beyond that would require even more government regulation and even more of a move towards the nanny state.
  • ElizabethIrish
    ElizabethIrish Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Food is not an addiction, its abusively over eating that is an addictive and self destructive behavior. It is not the responsibility of the government nor grocery stores to fix this for you or anyone of us. We all have to take responsibility for ourselves and every single thing we put in our mouths. To face this is often the first step to making it right.

No one forces anyone to buy crappy foods. There are plenty of low cost fruits and veggies available. In my area the following are far cheaper than chips and soda: radishes, lettuce, cabbage, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rutabagas, celery, large unpeeled carrots, string beans, mushrooms, oranges, apples, lemons, limes, there are many more. Lean meats expensive? Buy dried beans - extremely cheap and better for you. You don't have to just buy the high end organic berries and such that are so much more expensive. Often we who are overweight have to evolve our tastes - so you don't LIKE a vegetable? Eat it until you like it, or find a creative way to cook it so you like it that doesn't add calories. Overweight people tend also to be picky eaters - get over it. I realized this years ago and started to train myself to like healthy foods - I would pick one food I didn't like, then EAT IT until I learned to like it. With this method I've nearly completely replaced meats with seafood in my diet, starches with healthy vegetables, etc.

Do you have a yard? Even a very small one? A balcony? A sunny window? GROW HEALTHY FOOD! You can grow many simple herbs in a sunny window. I have a very small inner city yard and grow lots of organic vegetables in pots including tomatoes, carrots, green beans, even potatoes. There are books for under a dollar on amazon to teach you all you need to know to do this cheap and simple.

There is NO EXCUSE so stop making them for yourself. Only YOU can fix the problem of obesity. Sitting around waiting for the government or grocery stores to fix this for you will keep you a victim and obese your whole life.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

o·pin·ion
    əˈpinyən/
    noun
    noun: opinion; plural noun: opinions

1.a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Hence the reason it is called an opinion.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

SIGH....this is the kind of stuff that kills people. If you are not an addict or understand addiction, offering the opinion that people never learned to moderate is incredibly irresponsible. Please refrain from such garbage in the future.
    Calling it garbage doesn't make it false. And you have no clue what I do or don't understand about addiction.
    Here's a sample of questions that can help determine if you have a food addiction. Do these actions apply to you? Do you:

YES End up eating more than planned when you start eating certain foods
    YES Keep eating certain foods even if you're no longer hungry
    YES Eat to the point of feeling ill
    YES Worry about not eating certain types of foods or worry about cutting down on certain types of foods
    YES When certain foods aren't available, go out of your way to obtain them

The questionnaire asks about withdrawal symptoms. For example, when you cut down on certain foods (excluding caffeinated beverages), do you have symptoms such as:

YES Anxiety
    YES Agitation
    YES Other physical symptoms

And yet, astoundingly, I can magically overcome this "addiction" by simply counting calories.

The questionnaire also tries to gauge the impact of food decisions on your emotions. Do these situations apply to you?

Eating food causes problems such as depression, anxiety, self-loathing, or guilt.
    You need to eat more and more food to reduce negative emotions or increase pleasure.
    Eating the same amount of food doesn't reduce negative emotions or increase pleasure the way it used to.
    Those are problems some people have with life whether or not they are addicted to things..