I have a "Desk Job" anyone else?

Options
I have a job where I spend most of my day at my desk. I am starting my weight loss journey at the most busy time of the year possible. Anyone else out there find a way to make it work for them? I am looking to lost 50 pounds by this summer before my 5 year class reunion. & If I do lose it I will be smaller then when I graduated :)

Feel free to add me & hopefully make it through the journey!

Replies

• trixiepinkie
    trixiepinkie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and it's possible to lose that by summer! Good luck!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do have a desk job....and I am a single mom. I workout at lunch time and take walks at breaks
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job and was able to lose all the weight I wanted to. Your diet is going to be most important here. Make sure you're staying within your calorie limits and you should see the weight come off. I have a hard time not snacking at my desk, but I try to bring some healthy snacks from home and drink tea or chew gum when I'm feeling hungry. I plan all my meals in advance and pack them the night before. You can do it!!
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I did. Keep with the goal MFP gave you. Try to walk 10,000 steps a day ( approx 5 miles)
    Look into exercises you can do at your desk.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    See if you can do your work standing up for stretches of time. I have done this and it was great for overall health. You can also request that your employer provide a standing-up work station, if that is possible. those are available in the market.
  • melissazimmerle
    Options
    I work as an EMT, but spend 12 hour shifts in the office...I leave to go on calls, but in between I sit at my computer...I have been doing my fitness pal for 12 days...I am keeping my calories under 1200 per day and am using the treadmill 4 times a week for 30 minutes...I am down 6 lbs so far...I think 50 lbs is a reasonable goal and can be achieved....Good luck! You can do it :)
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and take 10-15 minute walks 3X a day (breaks and lunch) Not only does it help with the weight loss, but it's a mental stress break also. You can do this!
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. I try to walk a mile 3 times per day. It takes me about 14 minutes (I cruise right along), so that's a little less than 45 minutes total. I never go out to eat or take a lunch break, and I just eat at my desk while I work, so I make up the time that way.

I also stand a lot at my desk. If I am talking on the phone, I am likely to stand rather than sit. I figure that anything that gets me up out of the chair is good.
  • vagabondgoddess
    vagabondgoddess Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do but I am front desk. So I don't really get "breaks". I can't go out and take a walk or anything. Since I'm by myself I have to stay at the desk. I do walk around the desk area though. lol last night I had some slow time so I walked/jogged in the back area. Not enough to break a sweat though (I am working after all).
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    See if you can do your work standing up for stretches of time. I have done this and it was great for overall health. You can also request that your employer provide a standing-up work station, if that is possible. those are available in the market.

one of the women I work with has a treadmill desk. it is the coolest thing. her computer and phone are on a large tray (where the treadmill's monitors usually are) and there are rails she can hold onto. She walks all day long on this thing while she is working. Albeit not very fast but she is moving all day. It really is one of the coolest things I have ever seen...
  • SailerSiren13
    SailerSiren13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Desk job here, with a 45 min commute. I take my food and workout before and after work thanks to a very supportive family!

Feel free to add me!
  • TJOmotayo
    TJOmotayo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    At my job I work twelve hour shifts. I pack at least six healthy snacks and I walk the first part of my lunch. I make it a point to walk to different areas instead of emailing or calling. Another thing I found is helpful is support; two of my co-workers are on MFP and we encourage each other. Good Luck!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job at home, which isn't so bad; I'm in control of my environment at all times, even if I'm sitting/stuck at home alllll the time.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job and was able to lose all the weight I wanted to. Your diet is going to be most important here. Make sure you're staying within your calorie limits and you should see the weight come off. I have a hard time not snacking at my desk, but I try to bring some healthy snacks from home and drink tea or chew gum when I'm feeling hungry. I plan all my meals in advance and pack them the night before. You can do it!!

THIS^
    For snacks I hit the salad bar in the cafeteria and bring back sliced mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. I skip the fried food there. Its EVIL.

Also, get up often. Do booty squeezes in your chair and stand up for no reason. Walk on breaks and lunches. Stretch often.
  • country88girl
    country88girl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Everyone has me sooo positive now that I will be able to do this! I always make sure I print to the farthest printer just so I can get in a few extra steps every time lol & eventually they will all add up! Thanks everyone for the tips & advise!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    yes the desk job is hard..I try to move at least every hour..more frequent if I can..I read somewhere that they are starting to think it's worse than smoking
  • kekeleeks
    kekeleeks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and have been successful at losing weight because I have made it a top priority. I park further than most which helps to get extra steps in during the day. I will eat my lunch while I work and use my lunch break to walk around. I will also use one of my breaks (if necessary) to walk as well. My work also offers a 30 minute express cardio/strength class so I have used my lunch to do that as well. I then do serious cardio after work and on the weekends.

I also plan really simplistic meals that are easy to heat up and bring to work. My partner will bake some chicken and I will take a bag of steamfresh veggies. Makes for a filling and healthy lunch. It can definitely be done and you are not alone.
  • KatiSims
    KatiSims Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have worked at a desk job for 6 1/2 years. What I do is when I have a quick minute I stand up, stretch and do some squats. Sometimes I would even do some side leg lifts.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    All you need is a plan of action and consistancy and you will be successful. I have had desk jobs every since 1994. Prior to that I spent time as a firefighter/EMT, a paramedic, and a police officer. That all came to a skreeching halt when I was struck by a car in the line of duty and lost my left leg. I have yo-yoed with my weight since then, but I have made a commitment to knock it out of the park and have 100 lbs gone this year and 50 more next year.

LETS DO THIS!!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    desk job here. the main thing i find help is keeping a bag in the work fridge with my breakfast and lunches for the week. i usually go work grocery shopping on monday's at lunch and will buy enough for the week. since i'm most likely to eat breakfast there i also keep my breakfast items there

typical groceries consist of eggs (i boil at home), spinach, carrots, other veggies and dressing for salad, greek yogurt and reduced sugar jam, avocadoes, bread, havarti cheese, smoked salmon, bar chocolate for any sweet tooth cravings, fresh berries and other fruit.

i like leaving the bag in the fridge so i dont have to worry about remembering the morning of, especially if i'm in a hurry