I have a "Desk Job" anyone else?

Options

Replies

• theoncomingstorm60
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I sit in a cube all day. I'm not a morning person, so I'm going to plan my workouts in the evening.
  • aplatt41
    aplatt41 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have a DESK JOB to! 40hrs a week and then I own my own photography business so I spend more time on my butt editing pictures! Not fun at all! But making some changes with food and also adding the exercise! Good luck! You can do it
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    I sit at a desk all day as well. I work out 3 days a week (Friday, Sunday, Tuesday) in the mornings because it's the only way I can carve out the time. I always keep a pair of tennis shoes and socks in a drawer and can often find a coworker to take a quick lunch walk with me, not every day but at least a couple days a week when it's nice out. I also replaced my desk chair with a Swiss Ball, I got it mainly because it is supposed to help improve your posture, but I can tell at the end of the day it keeps my core engaged, added bonus!
  • ameteorsink
    Options
    I have a desk job and just started taking walks at my breaks and lunch. It's definitely hard with all the birthday parties and potlucks, but it can be done! I'm sure there is someone else you work with that might like to join your walks :)
  • Mrsum3
    Mrsum3 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. The first thing I do when I get home is change out of my work close and jump on that treadmill for at least an hour. I have three kids, 20, 17, 12 that keep me really busy as well.

It's possible. you can do it, we are here to support you! feel free to add me.
  • RockerDood
    RockerDood Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've had a desk job for the past 13 years and during that time I gained 60lbs. However, 6 months ago I finally decided to do something about. Completely changed my diet and started doing the Focus T25 program. I've lost 16lbs and I'm continuing to lose weight. Aiming to lose another 15-20bs. I sit at my desk for 8 hrs a day but after that it's 25 minutes of intense cardio every day. Seems to be doing the trick although I think my diet is playing the biggest role in my weight loss.
  • kids183
    kids183 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi! I sent you a friend request! I've been working my desk job for 14 years. I hit the gym during lunch when I can (or after work when I can't - though after isn't ideal). I find that my diet is easier to maintain at work than it is at home.

It IS possible and we can do it!
  • lizyoface
    lizyoface Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, I recently switched positions in my job from running around a hospital to spending most of my day in front of a computer. It is a BIG adjustment - trust me! Personally, I've found that my weight lost has really been jump started by tracking my foods...sure, its hard to do in the beginning, but have a meal planning day (Sunday!) to get all of your meals scheduled or pre-made for the work week makes a huge difference. They say, its all about planning to succeed :) Keep positive and you can make it happen for yourself!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I spend most of my day behind a desk...it's what you do away from your desk that matters.

:smile:

Good luck on your journey.
  • melzielkie
    melzielkie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Everyone has me sooo positive now that I will be able to do this! I always make sure I print to the farthest printer just so I can get in a few extra steps every time lol & eventually they will all add up! Thanks everyone for the tips & advise!

I also print to the farthest printer! Any excuse I can find to get up and walk a bit I take it! I also drink a lot of water at work so I do 10 jump squats everytime I hit the little girls room! May seem silly but when you pee 10 times a day at work that's an extra 100 jump squats on top of your regular exercise routine!
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I had a desk job, what I did was spend every moment I could on my feet. I would take care of files standing up by the printer or at the file cabinet. I would offer to get my coworker's work from them from the printer so I had an excuse to get up and walk. I'd walk during my breaks and use half of my lunch to go for a walk.

It's also important to prepare your body in a way where you burn more calories even sitting down. Strength training really helps.
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and I just received a standing workstation from my employer. If your company has this option, you should take it! You can stand or sit while you work throughout the day, which is a great way to keep your muscles engaged throughout the day. If not, then it's important to exercise before or after work (some people workout during lunch). I also agree with other posters that staying within your calorie range is really important if you have a sedentary lifestyle.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I work 9ish hours a day at a desk. I got a standing desk and now I have little dance parties while I code. I can't sit down at a desk anymore, it feels gross and wrong. It took me a month or so to transition from standing for an hour or two and then sitting for an hour, to standing all the time. The tall chair they got me is now a coat/purse rack behind me.

You can get a standing desk at Ikea for around $200 so there's pretty much no reason not to have one. I also strongly recommend a foam standing mat, they make a world of difference. (On my team we now have 5 people who work standing, only 4 who still sit.)
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Desk job here too, 8 hours a day sitting, I try to move around as much as I can but the office is only so big. Log calories and try to work out when you're not working or try to get out to walk at lunch/break. I lost 60 since last year, 40 since July, it's doable! Good luck!
  • hadirk
    hadirk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too, I started my journey last December , I'm aiming for 50lb loss by June and a goal of 102lb in total.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    See if you can do your work standing up for stretches of time. I have done this and it was great for overall health. You can also request that your employer provide a standing-up work station, if that is possible. those are available in the market.
    Good idea and it might work. Employers today are all in on investing in employee health so as to save on insurance premiums. I have a stand up and a sit down desk and use them both but I prefer to stand most of the time.
  • jnb143
    jnb143 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job and was able to lose all the weight I wanted to. Your diet is going to be most important here. Make sure you're staying within your calorie limits and you should see the weight come off. I have a hard time not snacking at my desk, but I try to bring some healthy snacks from home and drink tea or chew gum when I'm feeling hungry. I plan all my meals in advance and pack them the night before. You can do it!!

I have one as well! I agree with the above! Do all of these things!
    This may even seem weird, but when I go to the bathroom (which is pretty often because I tend to drink A LOT of water) I'll make myself do one of the follwoing: 25-50 jumping jacks, like 10 counter push ups, 10 squats, or something like that. Just to surprise my body! lol I always make it a point to be on my feet as much as I possibly can! I'm also hoping to lose 40 pounds!
  • Mandi_Nichole85
    Options
    I sit at a desk every day, all day. I try to take walks and force myself to leave my desk, but it isn't always that easy.
    I have a fitbit, and aim for 10,000 steps a day, but sometimes that is a struggle as well.
  • Pacefit4God
    Options
    I have a desk job. When the weather permits I walk on my lunch breaks and when it's cold and snowy out I may pop in a Zumba DVD in the conference room (I work in the building alone most days). Get a plan and work the plan! :smile:
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job also. I hate the gym, I've made a few small changes in my day that I think have greatly added up.

First, I keep a big refillable water bottle (32 oz) at my desk and sip sip sip all day long. I drink 3 of these during the work day. Makes me have to use the bathroom about once an hour :-) but that gets me up from my desk and moving TONS more.

Second, I made the decision to always use the farthest bathroom from my desk, which also happens to be down two flights of stairs in addtion to the otherside of the building. Now, I go up and down those stairs about 8 tiems a day. At first, I really felt the burn from the extra stairs but I am pretty much used to it now. My legs and glutes feel a lot stronger just from this small change.

I try to walk 10,000 steps a day and I would guess these two changes at least double the amount of activity I get during the workday. When it get's nice out again I'll start walking around the building for short breaks also. Then I should hit my goal every day.