Can someone show & explain skinny fat to me?

Options

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I think there are actually two different definitions that are commonly used.

1. Healthy BMI, unhealthy body fat percentage (above 30% for women).

2. Healthy BMI, upper end of the healthy body fat percentage, low muscle percentage.

The first has some serious medical consequences especially later in life. This should be avoided.

The second is more atheistic preference but it's use can be insulting to people who just don't want a lot of muscle or don't want to be especially lean. Like Puffy's first picture. There's nothing wrong with that. Some people want to look that way. To call those people "skinny fat" IS insulting them. We don't all have the same preferences or goals.

Exactly. I not once said that my first picture was bad, nor did I say it was unhealthy. I was merely giving an example using pictures of my own. To ME, it is skinny fat, because I weighed 120 pounds in the first, compared to the 2nd where I had gained 10 pounds, but appeared smaller. If there weren't 2 pictures there, it would not have been as noticeable.

For the record, I actually like both pictures. I just prefer myself with more weight (130 vs 120 pounds).

Fat, when speaking on appearance is negative. Someone who is fat has a HIGH percentage of body fat. If someone has a normal body fat percent then they are not fat because they do not have a high amount of body fat percent.

I see it mostly used to body shame here.

For the record I have actually been diagnosed as normal weight obese in the past and it isn't anything to joke about or take lightly.

if I were speaking of someone other than myself, I would agree with you. I used to be anorexic, prior to my "skinny fat" days, so I do NOT take anything weight related lightly, either.

This is MY PERSONAL OPINION ON MY OWN PICTURES based on weight and body fat difference. My opinion is just that and does not have to be the same as everyone else's OPINION. I NOT once said I was fat NOR did I say it was unhealthy.

ETA: I also said neither picture was a bad picture, therefore, not being the least bit negative about myself or anyone else.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think there are actually two different definitions that are commonly used.

1. Healthy BMI, unhealthy body fat percentage (above 30% for women).

2. Healthy BMI, upper end of the healthy body fat percentage, low muscle percentage.

The first has some serious medical consequences especially later in life. This should be avoided.

The second is more atheistic preference but it's use can be insulting to people who just don't want a lot of muscle or don't want to be especially lean. Like Puffy's first picture. There's nothing wrong with that. Some people want to look that way. To call those people "skinny fat" IS insulting them. We don't all have the same preferences or goals.

Exactly. I not once said that my first picture was bad, nor did I say it was unhealthy. I was merely giving an example using pictures of my own. To ME, it is skinny fat, because I weighed 120 pounds in the first, compared to the 2nd where I had gained 10 pounds, but appeared smaller. If there weren't 2 pictures there, it would not have been as noticeable.

For the record, I actually like both pictures. I just prefer myself with more weight (130 vs 120 pounds).

Fat, when speaking on appearance is negative. Someone who is fat has a HIGH percentage of body fat. If someone has a normal body fat percent then they are not fat because they do not have a high amount of body fat percent.

I see it mostly used to body shame here.

For the record I have actually been diagnosed as normal weight obese in the past and it isn't anything to joke about or take lightly.

if I were speaking of someone other than myself, I would agree with you. I used to be anorexic, prior to my "skinny fat" days, so I do NOT take anything weight related lightly, either.

This is MY PERSONAL OPINION ON MY OWN PICTURES based on weight and body fat difference. My opinion is just that and does not have to be the same as everyone else's OPINION. I NOT once said I was fat NOR did I say it was unhealthy.

ETA: I also said neither picture was a bad picture, therefore, not being the least bit negative about myself or anyone else.

Mark Hyman explains: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/skinny-fat_b_1799797.html
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    this is my personal example...

2011 - skinny fat - 120 pounds, 24-25% body fat
    2012 - fit - 130 pounds, 15% body fat

bodyfatdifference.jpg

wowsa woman...that's a nice change, not that you looked bad in either...

another win for lifting.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

wowsa woman...that's a nice change, not that you looked bad in either...

another win for lifting.

thank ya kindly! :blushing:
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    being skinny fat is when your skinny but are flabby. I was that way in high school. I want to build muscle this time on my weight loss journey.
  • Llorry
    Llorry Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't deal in BMI or Skinny fat because I am a paraplegic. I will always have, as my husband calls them, buns of MOLTEN steel and I will always have a para belly as toning that up just will not happen.
    I go with what I can change and what makes me happy. Do not worry so much about what others think but make yourself happier and healthier :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think it's overused, especially here. Most of us, at goal weight, aren't the ideal body fat percent for our gender, barring some of you youthful gym rats.

We know we can't gain muscle mass unless we eat at a surplus, and in fact women can barely gain significant muscle at all, without testosterone supplementation. We can protect (to some extent) and strengthen the muscle we have but that's not going to change our body fat percent, the only way to increase the lean mass % is to drop more fat, which means do more dieting.

99% of us will never look like a Shape model, and we don't care. There's a reason the women in Shape are pretty much all under 22. Do we need a derogatory label to apply once we finally get our weight down? We're not going to start doing bulk and cut cycles to finally feel acceptable.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I think it's overused, especially here. Most of us, at goal weight, aren't the ideal body fat percent for our gender, barring some of you youthful gym rats.

We know we can't gain muscle mass unless we eat at a surplus, and in fact women can barely gain significant muscle at all, without testosterone supplementation. We can protect (to some extent) and strengthen the muscle we have but that's not going to change our body fat percent, the only way to increase the lean mass % is to drop more fat, which means do more dieting.

99% of us will never look like a Shape model, and we don't care. There's a reason the women in Shape are pretty much all under 22. Do we need a derogatory label to apply once we finally get our weight down? We're not going to start doing bulk and cut cycles to finally feel acceptable.

You don't have to but women can do "bulk and cut" cycles just as well as men.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

That's not a fact. At a surplus, with progressive heavy lifting, women CAN gain significant muscle... it just takes longer, and includes more fat gain (which women generally don't like).

Women can get incredibly strong, with significant LBM, from bulks and heavy lifting alone. Many have, on this site alone. Testosterone supplementation exists, but I don't want someone to give up their attempts to gain LBM seeing something like this.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I, too, think the term is often overused and misused. Some of my asian friends are super thin, almost underweight per BMI chart but with not much muscle tone. Having said that there's no way they have unhealthy body fat percentage (most around 20% but their body weight is very small, too) but I now constantly hear them referring themselves as "skinny fat".
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

bodyfatdifference.jpg
    You look stunning in both but to be honest they look the same to me except for the different lighting/tan and the pushup bikini. Where did you get those body fat %s from? 15% is below where you normally lose ability to menstruate. Here's some pics of other women at 15%.

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

I'm not saying women can't bulk, at all, ever. Most people here are obese. When people constantly post things like "don't aim for 2 lbs. a week or you'll just wind up skinny fat", it's kind of silly.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I, too, think the term is often overused and misused. Some of my asian friends are super thin, almost underweight per BMI chart but with not much muscle tone. Having said that there's no way they have unhealthy body fat percentage (most around 20% but their body weight is very small, too) but I now constantly hear them referring themselves as "skinny fat".

I don't think skinnyfat means you have an unhealthy amount of body fat; more that you have a relatively small amount of muscle. It's not that the amount of body fat is unhealthy, but the lack of lean mass is unhealthy.
  • albayin
    Options

I don't think skinnyfat means you have an unhealthy amount of body fat; more that you have a relatively small amount of muscle. It's not that the amount of body fat is unhealthy, but the lack of lean mass is unhealthy.

how so? I know it's optimal to have more lean body mass but I didn't know how unhealthy it would be other wise given all my friends are tiny and not really carrying giggly fats everywhere. Can you explain a bit more?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

how so? I know it's optimal to have more lean body mass but I didn't know how unhealthy it would be other wise given all my friends are tiny and not really carrying giggly fats everywhere. Can you explain a bit more?

Well there are a few issues with it. The biggest is that a lack of any significant muscle says a lot about one's exercise program (or rather, lack thereof). Lack of exercise carries all sorts of health risks, from diabetes to heart disease. It's also indicative of bone density problems, which lead to osteoporosis.

Furthermore, adults lose lean mass over time if they're not doing something to maintain it. The rule of thumb I've heard is 1 pound a year. That has serious implications for quality of life as one ages. Simply being able to stand up from a chair at 70 years old can be challenging; it only gets harder if you start out with little to no muscle.

Having and maintaining lean mass brings all kinds of health benefits. Skinnyfat means that your BMI is in the healthy range, but you're much less healthy than you could be. And it's not because of the body fat; it's because of the lack of lean mass. Let's say you have 35 lbs of fat. You will in general be much healthier carrying that amount of fat around at a BMI of 28 than 21.
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Someone who is "skinny" but is otherwise at a higher % of BF to lean mass ratio. This often happens to people who crash diet and neglect resistance training. They shrink, but they lose a lot of muscle mass along with the fat...which leaves them "skinny" and at weight...but they're still kind of lose and flabby...

skinny-fat-butt.jpg

This chick is skinny...but has a jiggly, flabby *kitten* because she lacks muscle

This is what I have always personally thought "skinny fat" looked like. Sure, she is thin but it looks terrible (to me anyway - personal opinion).

I totally agree far too many people, woman in parrticular, think diet alone and far too much of a deficit in calories will get them looking like...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1tV_ZwT9LhEQhnth5FDY7qUdw4GUotvBoRujZmgvR6W7ObJ3ccA

I think it's better we at least know what to expect... if we know from the beginning that it's better to have lean muscle mass we might be less inclined to starve away all the muscle in a quest to see a low number on the scales...
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Obviously I am all about the aesthetics! haha
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

EDIT IMAGE OUT
    You look stunning in both but to be honest they look the same to me except for the different lighting/tan and the pushup bikini. Where did you get those body fat %s from? 15% is below where you normally lose ability to menstruate. Here's some pics of other women at 15%.

I'm not saying women can't bulk, at all, ever. Most people here are obese. When people constantly post things like "don't aim for 2 lbs. a week or you'll just wind up skinny fat", it's kind of silly.

That same link you posted also shows the differences in what 15% BF can look like...
  • albayin
    Options
    Now come to think of it, I always thought Pamela Anderson (in later yeras, later than "baywatch") is one of those "skinny fat" women. :bigsmile:
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

EDIT IMAGE OUT

That same link you posted also shows the differences in what 15% BF can look like...
    I know, but the poster here doesn't even look like the 'less muscular 15%' example. I think the poster looks like the 18-20% examples in both of her pics. Which is ideal because 15% isn't healthy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    In a year of lifting I've made substantial changes to my body composition...I'm still a little bit skinny fat, but I was a lot skinny fat a year ago...

DSC02440.jpg
    Note the moobs, pronounced belly, and squishy arms. This was in January 2013.

DSC02618.JPG
    down to 183 lbs here...still have some moobidge going on there and definitely a higher ratio of BF to lean mass at this weight. This was in March 2013.

20131031_201251.jpg
    October 2013...by no means where I want to be but definitely firming everything up...This is also at 183 Lbs

20131124_151450.jpg
    December 2013...firming up even more. It's hard to see in this photo but I still have a little bit of moob going on here and I still have a bit of pot in my belly...or beer rather. This is also @ 183 Lbs.