Can someone show & explain skinny fat to me?

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I consider myself fat skinny
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

LOL! I have great muscle but also fat pockets here and there. Pretty much always have.

In the locker room back in high school I had a girl hear I wanted to lose 5 lbs and she said I just needed to 'tone up'. I was an athlete and trained a minimum of 3.5 hrs 5 days a week (not cardio or running, etc, btw)! In people with normal BMIs, sometimes they have enough muscle; they just have what I call 'bikini bulges' :D That's not 'skinny fat', y'all. It's just normal bulges. We're all not bikini model types unless we really, really work at it. It's not necessary to go that far, health-wise. Aesthetics? Personal choice :)
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

LOL! I have great muscle but also fat pockets here and there. Pretty much always have.

In the locker room back in high school I had a girl hear I wanted to lose 5 lbs and she said I just needed to 'tone up'. I was an athlete and trained a minimum of 3.5 hrs 5 days a week (not cardio or running, etc, btw)! In people with normal BMIs, sometimes they have enough muscle; they just have what I call 'bikini bulges' :D That's not 'skinny fat', y'all. It's just normal bulges. We're all not bikini model types unless we really, really work at it. It's not necessary to go that far, health-wise. Aesthetics? Personal choice :)

sizing up on bikini should solve that, right? :flowerforyou:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Can I be "somewhat muscular fat"? I don't really give my self a label. I'm at a healthy weight, have a decent amount of muscle an 25% body fat. I'm not lean. I'm not fat. I'm not "skinny". I'm not "skinny fat"....
  • albayin
    Options
    Can I be "somewhat muscular fat"? I don't really give my self a label. I'm at a healthy weight, have a decent amount of muscle an 25% body fat. I'm not lean. I'm not fat. I'm not "skinny". I'm not "skinny fat"....

"normal"
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    this is my personal example...

2011 - skinny fat - 120 pounds, 24-25% body fat
    2012 - fit - 130 pounds, 15% body fat

You look stunning in both but to be honest they look the same to me except for the different lighting/tan and the pushup bikini. Where did you get those body fat %s from? 15% is below where you normally lose ability to menstruate. Here's some pics of other women at 15%.

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

I'm not saying women can't bulk, at all, ever. Most people here are obese. When people constantly post things like "don't aim for 2 lbs. a week or you'll just wind up skinny fat", it's kind of silly.

Thank you. I do believe I said neither are bad pictures, just a difference in weight and body fat and and a clear difference in definition. I gained weight and lost body fat. I compete in bikini competitions and have had my body fat tested. 15% is considered athletic, not unhealthy. That's not to say the 25% is unhealthy, just doesn't work when competing.

ETA: Here's a different picture of the 15% - excuse the spraytan - its required for competitions...

sideab.jpg
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    That one does look more like 15% than the others to me. I'm guessing it's dehydrated (not that there's anything wrong with that). I wouldn't call you skinny fat in any of them, though, but maybe that was your point. I think the term applies to obese body fat percentages (32%+ for women) while at healthy BMI, when the medical community uses it.
  • albayin
    Options
    somehow the picture above with 15% looks...thinner to me...unlike other body builing competitors I have seen...

eta: removed my inappropriate remark. apologized in later post. :)
    Options
    That one does look more like 15% than the others to me. I'm guessing it's dehydrated (not that there's anything wrong with that). I wouldn't call you skinny fat in any of them, though, but maybe that was your point. I think the term applies to obese body fat percentages (32%+ for women) while at healthy BMI, when the medical community uses it.

I did say it was my personal opinion of my own before image compared to the after, based on the fact that I gained weight and lost body fat.
    Options
    somehow the picture above with 15% looks...skeleton-ish to me...unlike other body builing competitors I have seen...

I'm not really certain how you see a skeleton. I'm sure it was the pose I was standing in, more than anything else. I was about 125-128 pounds in that picture. But, thanks for the body shaming comment.
  • albayin
    Options
    somehow the picture above with 15% looks...skeleton-ish to me...unlike other body builing competitors I have seen...

I'm sure it was the pose I was standing in, more than anything else. I was about 125-128 pounds in that picture.

Is that you in the picture as well?
    Options

I'm sure it was the pose I was standing in, more than anything else. I was about 125-128 pounds in that picture.

Is that you in the picture as well?

It is. I don't post other people's pictures.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    somehow the picture above with 15% looks...skeleton-ish to me...

Well that was nice of you.

Put up a picture of yourself in a bikini so we can make disparaging comments about you now. This game is fun!
    Options
    somehow the picture above with 15% looks...skeleton-ish to me...

Well that was nice of you.

Put up a picture of yourself in a bikini so we can make disparaging comments about you now. This game is fun!

Seriously.

ETA: Except, the difference is, I would never put another woman down, whether she posted her own picture or someone else's. I just don't tear other women down. Only weak people do things like. Strong people lift others up.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

how rude
  • albayin
    Options
    My apologies if my inappropriate choice of word has offended you or anybody else. I didn't mean so.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Not cool.

Eta: nm saw your second post :)
  • albayin
    Options

Not cool.

I guess "looking thinner than other competitors" might have had a slightly less negative outcome and it was what I truly meant to say...I have learned to keep my mouth shut. :drinker:
    Options

Not cool.

I guess "looking thinner than other competitors" might have had a slightly less negative outcome and it was what I truly meant to say...I have learned to keep my mouth shut. :drinker:

I really think its the pose I'm standing in, because I actually weighed a little more than some of the other competitors, but thank you for the apology.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread. I started working out in September. I'm 5'5" and started at 135 lbs and 31.4% BF. I was nearly obese with respect to BF only. That's skinny fat. I'm down to 28% now! but I didn't realize you could look thinner while gaining weight. I will be much less concerned about the scale now!