Cheat Day To Break Plateau

Options

Replies

• nate92315
    nate92315 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A lot of people lose weight safely with starvation diets. Christian Bale dropped 50 pounds over the course of a few months eating just a can of tuna and an apple a day.

While I don't agree with extreme undereating to lose weight, that's one example of proof that it's bogus the body goes into starvation mode and makes you stay the same weight for weeks/months on end or gain weight, like some people claim.

If you under eat it's very unhealthy, but people do lose a lot of weight doing so. 600 calories a day is way too little for an adult male to live off of in my opinion though. I don't know how you have the energy to do anything at all on 600 calories.

Thanks for responding without being contentious or accusing me of being a troll. I figured out a series of healthy 200 calorie meals. I eat three of them a day. Honestly I hardly ever feel tired or starved.

Np, as long as you're not getting sick or weak and you're ok. Just gotta find what works best for you, we're all different. Best of luck with your weight loss journey.

Thank you, this site needs more people like you.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    The bummer about eating only 600 calories a day is that it's going to kill your metabolism. Betcha a million bucks that if you add 1000 calories a day you'd start losing again.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    A lot of people lose weight safely with starvation diets. Christian Bale dropped 50 pounds over the course of a few months eating just a can of tuna and an apple a day.

While I don't agree with extreme undereating to lose weight, that's one example of proof that it's bogus the body goes into starvation mode and makes you stay the same weight for weeks/months on end or gain weight, like some people claim.

If you under eat it's very unhealthy, but people do lose a lot of weight doing so. 600 calories a day is way too little for an adult male to live off of in my opinion though. I don't know how you have the energy to do anything at all on 600 calories.

Thanks for responding without being contentious or accusing me of being a troll. I figured out a series of healthy 200 calorie meals. I eat three of them a day. Honestly I hardly ever feel tired or starved.

Np, as long as you're not getting sick or weak and you're ok. Just gotta find what works best for you, we're all different. Best of luck with your weight loss journey.

Yes this site needs more people to advocate 600 calories a day diets (which are against MFP guidelines, btw) :wink:
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

castle.gif
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Yes this site needs more people to advocate 600 calories a day diets (which are against MFP guidelines, btw) :wink:

If you took the time to read my post you'd see, I am not in favor of that type of diet.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I felt the same way when I was 95 lbs at 5'6". I was anorexic.

Guess how much LBM I don't have?
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

If you took the time to read my post you'd see, I am not in favor of that type of diet.

Sorry if I misconstrued the bolded part for condoning VLCD :ohwell:
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I was at a plateau for a couple of months. Eating about 1000 calories a day and exercising every day. I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing; when I started reading the forum posts and realized that I was not eating enough calories. I bumped my calories up to 1200-1400 per day (sometimes more, sometimes less) and I'm beginning to lose weight again. Good luck on your weight loss.
  • allen_ac
    allen_ac Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to why you are trying to lose so much weight in a short amount of time, especially knowing that this method is not a "permanent" weight loss plan. Is there much use in going through the process then?

Once you prolong a deficit like this, not only are you going to lose all your muscle mass, but when you finish this diet, or fall off, you'll probably end up gaining twice the amount of fat back having lost whatever muscle you had

Females wouldn't really ever / should touch under 1000 calories a day over a sustained period, do you think a full grown male should be? You could be setting up to screw your metabolism and hormone production permanently, if you somehow do manage to keep this up a good amount of time
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha I wish. Here they make me retain water for 3 weeks, typically...
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    way to wreak havoc on your body sir. :/

Celebrity "diets" are nothing but BS. And almost ALWAYS do they do it for a movie role/PR under the direct supervision of a doctor. And just because they do it..doesn't make it right. Celebrities get paid a hell of a lot more than I am sure you or I make, and they are capable of damaging their bodies over and over and over again for the right role, just because they can and they can afford the doctors/trainers and medical issues that arise from it. I am also sure ALOT of them say after the fact that they hated it and they felt like crap. It is damage to your body. period..this site is about being healthy..and for you to sit here and say its perfectly alright to eat under 600 cals a day, only promotes things like Anorexia and Bulimia...

There is no reason, unless your doctor prescribes it (and even than thats iffy), that you should be eating under 600 cals a day.

I think you should seriosuly reconsider WHY you are on this site and WHY you are wanting to lose weight. personally, thinking as you are, says you have a not-so-good mental body image of yourself, and its not just your physical health you should worry about.

Yes, i think you are asking a serious question, no i don't think you are trolling but i do think you are going about this the wrong way and as a fellow MFP I offer only words to encourage you to try something a little bit healthier, thats all.:ohwell:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

three 200 calorie meals per day is not "healthy" by any stretch of the imagination. You aren't feeling starved because your mind adapted to the sensation to keep you from going insane.
  • nate92315
    Options

castle.gif

lol
  • nate92315
    Options

three 200 calorie meals per day is not "healthy" by any stretch of the imagination. You aren't feeling starved because your mind adapted to the sensation to keep you from going insane.

I don't believe we need as many calories as mainstream nutritional scientists say we need. Especially if the person in question is overweight. Starving yourself when you are at your ideal weight will obviously cause damage. But in the case of overweight people they are ALREADY damaging their body daily, in this case starving off some pounds IS HEALTHY.
  • nate92315
    Options
    A radical calorie deficit is only beneficial for people who are morbidly obese. Otherwise losing weight that quickly is not very beneficial, it's just impatient.

Yes it depends on your body fat percentage. For someone who are overweight and starving their self the body won't automatically eat up muscle (like most people on here claim). You have to be at a super low level of body fat while starving yourself for your body to eat muscle. Therefor those who are overweight and starving themselves will burn fat.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    A radical calorie deficit is only beneficial for people who are morbidly obese. Otherwise losing weight that quickly is not very beneficial, it's just impatient.

Yes it depends on your body fat percentage. For someone who is overweight and starving themselves the body doesn't automatically eat up muscle (like most people on here claim). You have to be at a super low level of body fat while starving yourself for your body to eat muscle. Therefor those who are overweight and starving themselves will burn fat.

...and muscle.

I have 132 lbs to lose. i eat 1200-1600 . cals a day and im losing more than 2 lbs a week. i don't need to eat 600 cals or less a day to do this. And my body thanks me for it.
  • nate92315
    Options

Yes it depends on your body fat percentage. For someone who is overweight and starving themselves the body doesn't automatically eat up muscle (like most people on here claim). You have to be at a super low level of body fat while starving yourself for your body to eat muscle. Therefor those who are overweight and starving themselves will burn fat.

...and muscle.

I have 132 lbs to lose. i eat 1200-1600 . cals a day and im losing more than 2 lbs a week. i don't need to eat 600 cals or less a day to do this. And my body thanks me for it.

Yes that's absolutely perfect for you're particular body type and the rate at which your content at losing weight.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Yes it depends on your body fat percentage. For someone who are overweight and starving their self the body won't automatically eat up muscle (like most people on here claim). You have to be at a super low level of body fat while starving yourself for your body to eat muscle. Therefor those who are overweight and starving themselves will burn fat.

How tall are you?
  • nate92315
    Options

How tall are you?

5'8 183