Cheat Day To Break Plateau

Options

Replies

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to make fun of or belittle you, but please be careful with what you're doing.

Also note that if you don't die first, once you go back to eating "normally" you're going to gain every bit of weight you dropped, plus more.

Just please be careful and if no one here can tell you any different, please do BROADER research. You're going to make yourself sick.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    A radical calorie deficit is only beneficial for people who are morbidly obese. Otherwise losing weight that quickly is not very beneficial, it's just impatient.

Yes it depends on your body fat percentage. For someone who are overweight and starving their self the body won't automatically eat up muscle (like most people on here claim). You have to be at a super low level of body fat while starving yourself for your body to eat muscle. Therefor those who are overweight and starving themselves will burn fat.
    How tall are you?

5'8 183

And you're aiming for 145?
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    A radical calorie deficit is only beneficial for people who are morbidly obese. Otherwise losing weight that quickly is not very beneficial, it's just impatient.

Yes it depends on your body fat percentage. For someone who is overweight and starving themselves the body doesn't automatically eat up muscle (like most people on here claim). You have to be at a super low level of body fat while starving yourself for your body to eat muscle. Therefor those who are overweight and starving themselves will burn fat.

...and muscle.

I have 132 lbs to lose. i eat 1200-1600 . cals a day and im losing more than 2 lbs a week. i don't need to eat 600 cals or less a day to do this. And my body thanks me for it.

Yes that's absolutely perfect for you're particular body type and the rate at which your content at losing weight.

...and also the thousands of other people who eat more than 600 cals a day and lose weight at a healthy rate. Anyone over 100 lbs is going to lose far more weight far quicker than someone who only needs to lose 20 or 30. Eating 600 cals a day is not healthy and it never will be. if you lose weight on it rapidly, i would guarantee youll put it back on just as fast. not to mention have to deal with excessive loose skin if you are obese, and serious other side effects that your body goes through by rapidly losing/gaining weight. it's call yo-yo dieting and it is NOT healthy.

One note- Those celebrities who lost alot of weight on crash diets..then gained it back after their movie was done shooting more than likely had serious side effects they had to deal with. They are still human beings. their bodies aren't godlike. And again can afford the personal coaching and training to MAINTAIN those superstar bodies after drastic changes.

You aren't trying to live a healthy sustainable life by doing it the "easy" way.
  • nate92315
    nate92315 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Yes it depends on your body fat percentage. For someone who are overweight and starving their self the body won't automatically eat up muscle (like most people on here claim). You have to be at a super low level of body fat while starving yourself for your body to eat muscle. Therefor those who are overweight and starving themselves will burn fat.
    How tall are you?

5'8 183

correct
  • firstsip
    Options

How tall are you?

5'8 183

correct

Why is this your goal, in particular? What are your goals in general, health, body, and fitness wise?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

How tall are you?

5'8 183

I know you're going to ignore this, but FWIW to the lurkers out there, OP and I are the same size (I'm 5' 8" and 180 pounds as of this morning) and close in age (I'm 31, so a little older) and I eat 1600 calories/day to lose while sedentary.

I'll add that 183 isn't even very overweight for either of us. The line on the BMI chart between overweight and normal for our height is what? 165? Depending on your body fat % I wouldn't think you have enough fat stores to not lose lean muscle in a VLCD.
  • nate92315
    Options

How tall are you?

5'8 183

correct

Why is this your goal, in particular? What are your goals in general, health, body, and fitness wise?

I'm not at the ideal weight for my height. The bare bones truth is at my current weight I'm not as attractive as I was when i was at my ideal weight a few years ago. According to the ideal weight calculator I should be 144 pounds. My healthy BMI is between 118.1 lbs - 159.6 lbs. (according to calculator.net)
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options

But how do you know this? I'm just wondering where this info came from.
  • firstsip
    Options

How tall are you?

5'8 183

correct

I'm not at the ideal weight for my height. The bare bones truth is at my current weight I'm not as attractive as I was when i was at my ideal weight a few years ago. According to the ideal weight calculator I should be 144 pounds. My healthy BMI is between 118.1 lbs - 159.6 lbs. (according to calculator.net)

What makes that particular number your ideal? How you looked naked, with clothes only, or what?
  • nate92315
    Options

How tall are you?

5'8 183

correct

What makes that particular number your ideal? How you looked naked, with clothes only, or what?

Going by my past body type just a few years ago. Yes overall i was in my most attractive state (clothes on or off) when I weighed 145 - 155.
  • firstsip
    Options

How tall are you?

5'8 183

correct

Going by my past body type just a few years ago. Yes overall i was in my most attractive state (clothes on or off) when I weighed 145 - 155.

Had you ever tried to lose weight before, or is this your first time trying to lose weight? Any exercise in the past, or now?
  • nate92315
    Options
    I'm confused as to why you are trying to lose so much weight in a short amount of time, especially knowing that this method is not a "permanent" weight loss plan. Is there much use in going through the process then?

Once you prolong a deficit like this, not only are you going to lose all your muscle mass, but when you finish this diet, or fall off, you'll probably end up gaining twice the amount of fat back having lost whatever muscle you had

Females wouldn't really ever / should touch under 1000 calories a day over a sustained period, do you think a full grown male should be? You could be setting up to screw your metabolism and hormone production permanently, if you somehow do manage to keep this up a good amount of time

The weight would stay off. So long as I continue to maintain it.
  • firstsip
    Options
    I'm confused as to why you are trying to lose so much weight in a short amount of time, especially knowing that this method is not a "permanent" weight loss plan. Is there much use in going through the process then?

Once you prolong a deficit like this, not only are you going to lose all your muscle mass, but when you finish this diet, or fall off, you'll probably end up gaining twice the amount of fat back having lost whatever muscle you had

Females wouldn't really ever / should touch under 1000 calories a day over a sustained period, do you think a full grown male should be? You could be setting up to screw your metabolism and hormone production permanently, if you somehow do manage to keep this up a good amount of time

How many calories do you plan to eat for maintenance?
  • nate92315
    Options
    I was always thin until the age of 21. Then something tragic happened in my life and I have been around 20-30 pounds above my ideal weight for the last few years. I have attempted diets and failed. In my recent diet attempts I find my self at the same resistance weight where I plateau and can't break through. That is why I'm trying such a radical attempt this time.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Well I've been eating under 600 calories daily for the last two weeks. Maybe if I eat a normal amount of calories for a few days my body will start metabolizing fat.

That's not good!

You could probably lose weight on 1500 calories, which will be a lot easier for you to handle.
  • firstsip
    Options
    I was always thin until the age of 21. Then something tragic happened in my life and I have been around 20-30 pounds above my ideal weight for the last few years. I have attempted diets and failed. In my recent diet attempts I find my self at the same resistance weight where I plateau and can't break through. That is why I'm trying such a radical attempt this time.

So the radical attempt, I assume, is to eat ~600 calories a day? What have you done in your recent diet attempts that ended up failing, and why did they fail?
  • nate92315
    Options

I did'nt mean I'm trying to maintain my current weight. I'm trying to lose as much as possible. What I meant was once I reach my ideal weight (145) I will maintain it with a healthy 1,500-2,500 pd/regime. Until then I have to sacrifice to get there.
  • firstsip
    Options

I did'nt mean I'm trying to maintain my current weight. I'm trying to lose as much as possible. What I meant was once I reach my ideal weight (145) I will maintain it with a healthy 1,500-2,500 pd/regime. Until then I have to sacrifice to get there.

? I didn't think you meant that. I asked you what you planned to eat at maintenance, maintenance being your "ideal weight."

Where are you getting those numbers for maintenance? That's a 1000 calorie range.
  • nate92315
    Options

So the radical attempt, I assume, is to eat ~600 calories a day? What have you done in your recent diet attempts that ended up failing, and why did they fail?

Well what discouraged me in the past is when I would dedicate myself to eating healthy and exercising only to see no results. Its different this time as I'm on a whole new level of dedication...borderline obsession, you could say.