What did you sacrifice to get your workouts in?

Options
Josalinn
Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
For me I sacrificed television. There are a lot of great shows out there, but with my schedule of work, class, and then homework, the only thing I could do was trade the hour or two I got for me time from TV to Gym. So far I don't feel like I have missed out on anything (I can catch up with my favs, like White Collar, on Netflix when summer hits). And I have been sleeping better, although I am considering adding in a 20 minuet yoga session in before bed because I stare at the ceiling for about a half hour trying to wind down.

So just curious, what did you trade in for work out time and was it worth it?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A little bit of sleep.

I like to work out / run early in the morning and just started waking up a bit earlier>

I would disagree about there being "a lot of great shows out there", TV has gone from bad to worse :happy: (and our selection on Netflix is nowhere near as good in Canada compared to the US)
  • littlelou374
    Options
    I sacrificed laziness.
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Sleep!
  • calichic74
    calichic74 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That extra hour or two of sleep!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    A little bit of sleep.

I like to work out / run early in the morning and just started waking up a bit earlier>

I would disagree about there being "a lot of great shows out there", TV has gone from bad to worse :happy: (and our selection on Netflix is nowhere near as good in Canada compared to the US)

I live in England, and my husband did something to Netflix so we can get the US version with more choice!

I guess I've given up chilling out time at home, and sometimes sleep. I started back at the gym when my daughter was 8 weeks old, so was often working out on 3 hours broken sleep. I think a lot of people would choose to sit and home and relax! I often get up earlier than I need to to go to the gym, and with 2 young kids (and another on the way) it's not like I get that much opportunity for lie ins!
  • GIA4FITNESS
    Options
    Sleep. I'm up at 4:50am every morning. I get about 7 hours of sleep and my body does ok with that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    - some sleep

- my lunch break

- I miss about an hour of hanging out time with my wife and kids twice per week when I lift after work. We all go together on Saturdays so that's fun.

- sitting around on Saturdays and Sundays doing nothing besides watching football
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Sleep, my lunch break, TV, lazy Saturday or Sunday.

I'm ok with all of those except sleep. I try to get at least 7 hours a night but those nights are usually few and far between
  • brianlowell
    brianlowell Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    - Website Design
    - Side projects, helping with small side businesses, etc.. That I did online.
    - Quality time with the wifey
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Exercise is central to my life.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sleep and laziness.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Sleep, Family time, mainly.

I wouldn't call missing television a sacrifice.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Wasting time on the computer. Trust me, its better this way! And sitting around and doing nothing. OH, and shopping! Saving money too :)
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Nothing. It only takes 3-4 hours a week. That's easy time to find.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    laziness and self pity
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have given up my late nights for early mornings! I am a night person but last year I just started shifting my bedtime to make sure I could still get enough sleep while getting up at 5:30 every morning. Sounds kinda terrible but it's my favorite time of the day. And I pretty much ALWAYS get my workouts in now, whereas things are more likely to come up in the evenings to prevent you from getting it done.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    not much, maybe sleeping in. I watch television and movies, read and play on my phone while using my bike. If there's something on I want to see and I can't watch it I DVR and watch it later. I get my kids to join me in playing the Wii so its family time and movement at the same time. :tongue:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Sleeping in. My workout time is actually a large part of my media time, lol. I read or watch tv while I workout. Usually, that's the only time I watch tv because I don't have cable at my house.
  • 1_Ton_Lady
    1_Ton_Lady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    SLEEP: Because I get up anywhere between 0430 and 0500 to get my treadmill walk in.
    LAZINESS: Because I'm too lazy to force myself to walk after work.

I really do better when I walk in the morning....I stay more committed that way.
  • ChristineOlivarri
    ChristineOlivarri Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Five screaming children....I get to put them into the gym daycare for up to two hours, that's all the motivation I need in the world!