What did you sacrifice to get your workouts in?

Options

Replies

• SabrinaLily
    Options
    The few moments of peace after work but before all the kids are home. I havent worked out since 2006/2007 because back then, I had the time for 3 hour a day workouts. Now college is over, I have a full time job and am married with kids. I didnt want to work out because I was tired and couldn't do it "right" which in my mind, meant 3 hours a day. My husband didn't like how I looked (lots of muscles) when we first met and he is NOT going to watch the kids while I go work out at a gym for 3 hours a day. He had a long and hard day at work too. So this is the conclusion I've come to, because I know I won't go in my basement to work out. I'll make too many excuses. I quit work at 4:30. I joined the gym closest to my house (though it wasn't the cheapest, location I knew would be everything). I go there and work out for 1 hour (lifting weights) before I have to pick my daughter up from the daycare center which is closed at 6 pm on the dot. I'll then try to fit cardio in at home doing one of the many machines we have downstairs. If hubby is feeling generous, I work out 2 hours getting both weights and cardio in and he only had to have the kids for an hour. I know those days are gone, when I had no responsibilities and could live at the gym 24/7. But the reality is, doing something is better than nothing and that's what I'm telling myself as I am starting out from scratch, going to the gym again 8 years and 50 pounds later!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Exercise is central to my life.

^Exactly this.
  • BreeJaxon
    BreeJaxon Posts: 128
    Options
    Sleep, I was up at 3:30 am......UGH!
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    working on my garden, working on my art, cleaning my house, straightening up my desk.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Sleep, Family time, mainly.

I wouldn't call missing television a sacrifice.

The Sacrifice is more the sitting and being alone to zone out for a couple hours. But I really enjoy some shows like Doctor Who and White Collar. It is nice to just lose myself in a story and shows like these allow me to do that. Bowties are cool!

I know I know "just go read a good book." Issues with this: 1) I'm in law school so most of my evenings are filled with reading 2) I work in a law firm so most of my day is filled with reading 3) I tend to read books for fun and then not notice it's 2 a.m. and I have to be a t work in a few hours.

I tried giving up sleep but I need at least 8 hours. I just don't function otherwise!
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I haven't really sacrificed anything. I have always been an early riser, so I do my workouts in the morning. If I do need extra sleep I just go to bed earlier.

If anything I have gained more from my workouts. I have more energy. I go to school at night and if I didn't workout, I don't think I'd have the energy to work all day, then go to class. It has enhanced my life
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Reading/TV time, although I would not really consider that a "sacrifice." My youngest daughter used to take a nap in the early afternoon, and that is when I exercise, so I was able to get everything done while she slept. Now she no longer naps, but she hangs out with me in my exercise room when I work out. So even though I was losing TV/me time for exercise, I now gained mommy-daughter time.
    This, I like !:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I don't think I sacrifice anything when I workout -
    I work out every day, an hour (or more) a day.
    My gym is in my home - so - no drive time.
    If I weren't working out, I'd be on the sofa, eating something I shouldn't be eating.......
    Better I should be working out!
    Honestly - if we can't invest an hour a day in ourselves - doing something healthy for ourselves - that's just not right!
    Think of the time you waste in front of the TV - or the computer - sedentary...........
    As I've said before - my Dad is 81 years old - and he goes to the gym 4+ days a week.

If he can do it - really - what are MY excuses?!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    A tiny bit of sleep, but the majority is lazy TV/internet time which is a good thing. My martial arts days takes me away from my husband, but my lifting days bring us together and give us something else to bond over.
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Beer on work nights. I wake up at 4 am to workout and if I had beer the night before there would be no way I was waking up for a work out. This has actually helped me hit my macros easier though
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    As I've said before - my Dad is 81 years old - and he goes to the gym 4+ days a week.

Your Dad Rocks!! My Mom is 87 and does Yoga every morning and has been doing it since the 1960's (before it was fashionable)
  • babymamahowell
    Options
    Sleep as well.
    Up at 4am on weekdays to be able to get on the treadmill while the kids still sleep.
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Sleep and cuddle time with the husband in the mornings.

But it's worth it in the long run. :)
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options

Your Dad Rocks!! My Mom is 87 and does Yoga every morning and has been doing it since the 1960's (before it was fashionable)

I think it's role models like these that really help us! That's terrific that your 87 year old Mom does Yoga every morning - good for her!!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    The *kitten* print that used to be on my couch cushion.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't really say I sacrifice anything. As a single person with no kids, my time is pretty much always my own, to do with whatever I choose. And I choose to work out. I think when you get to a point where you have a training schedule and you stick to it pretty religiously, you are obviously doing what you want to do. It may not always be fun, but if you didn't want whatever benefits you get from it, you'd do something else. Time is a form of currency.
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    sleep but it's soooo worth it
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sleep and/or TV time. However, I'm good with that. I feel better about myself, and when I exercise regularly, I feel like I get I higher quality sleep when I am sleeping. I DVR the shows that I don't want to miss and fit them in on the weekends.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Today, just a little bit of apartment hunting.

On the Norm Jerry Springer or a 3 hour nap
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    The *kitten* print that used to be on my couch cushion.

this...and my house isn't quite as sparkling as it used to be..but whatever I love my workouts and since I lift 3x a week (3hours) and do two HIIT routines (1h) it's only 4hours....that's not really a sacrifice.