Gym Stereotypes

Options

Replies

• SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Serious question... because there is one Hunter / Gatherer, or as I refer to them Hoarders, at every gym. How do y'all deal with that guy? How much bigger than you does he have to be for you to let that happen on the regular?

I think they SHOWED how to deal with him, but it entails talking to others. Get others to agree it's gone on too long and then safety in numbers you go grab what you need. He can't catch ALL of you.

My rule is that I give someone that every now and then, but I let them know it's a **** move. I get dropsets and stuff and that's fine. I do them sometimes, but if someone else needs a machine / weight that I'm using I'll finish that dropset and then change out the weight for my next round. You've got to respect each other. If it's an ongoing issue then things can get heated. I've never actually come to blows with anyone over it, but I've come very close a few times. I just find it incredibly disrespectful. Likewise, if you say you're using that weight / machine, and I look over and see you standing around chatting to someone rather than actually using it, then it's mine and if you want it back you'll have to take it from me.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLw-NEu-TXzXuNrKwTh0qRnqBimJ-5Fii1HN7hg0-LCfXBlZph the dressed for ....ummm.....something ELSE chicks. in case this one wasn't clear.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    ^ that was one, this is two...

judging-people-at-working-out-at-the-gym.jpg

And this! With my best friend! Last week we judged the lady doing the sexy pose on the stairs while her husband took pics like papparazzi
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Serious question... because there is one Hunter / Gatherer, or as I refer to them Hoarders, at every gym. How do y'all deal with that guy? How much bigger than you does he have to be for you to let that happen on the regular?

I think they SHOWED how to deal with him, but it entails talking to others. Get others to agree it's gone on too long and then safety in numbers you go grab what you need. He can't catch ALL of you.

My rule is that I give someone that every now and then, but I let them know it's a **** move. I get dropsets and stuff and that's fine. I do them sometimes, but if someone else needs a machine / weight that I'm using I'll finish that dropset and then change out the weight for my next round. You've got to respect each other. If it's an ongoing issue then things can get heated. I've never actually come to blows with anyone over it, but I've come very close a few times. I just find it incredibly disrespectful. Likewise, if you say you're using that weight / machine, and I look over and see you standing around chatting to someone rather than actually using it, then it's mine and if you want it back you'll have to take it from me.

Grrr baby grrr! Are you sure you aren't the rage guy?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    This girl. Yeah. Nuff said.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6s4H7LeBh9gr_WmGjKxK3YyHNvp3SwgEEn8vcrA0lgp2ZJGVBSQ
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

hey...how you doin..?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    These two polar stereotypes / archetypes ?

mond-barre-stereotypes-lotte-berk-rateyourburn.png

a30a495b52a98e1647c19494946f5ceb.jpg
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options

HEY!!! I'll let you make fun of "cell phone on the elliptical woman", and "make up to work out woman".... but I will not sit idly by while you disparage "too much cleavage woman". She is like a nurse on a battlefield, walking by and giving visual first aid to the walking wounded of energy depleted souls all around her. This woman is a saint!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    b/c to me the SECOND time you do the same workout, you can just start out dressed right b/c you know it's gonna get hot fast. it doesn't need to be a striptease everytime, does it?

increasingly-naked-stripper-rider-cycling-stereotypes-memes-rateyourburn-spinning.png
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

HEY!!! I'll let you make fun of "cell phone on the elliptical woman", and "make up to work out woman".... but I will not sit idly by while you disparage "too much cleavage woman". She is like a nurse on a battlefield, walking by and giving visual first aid to the walking wounded of energy depleted souls all around her. This woman is a saint!

...but you know she is MAD that you are staring at her right? AND that she is judging you?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    The girl who can't seem to go get her workout on alone?

dd823bbe0512b460e880187192711040.jpg

I'm all for working out in tandem couples style but some couples give off a weird vibe where you think he leaves her locked in his car when he's at work. And doesn't even crack open a window. (unfortunately there's no laws for that, only kids and dogs.)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    They must think I'm a complete prick.

Probably
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    over enthusiastic yoga girl. i mean we know how the move is supposed to look. do you not realize that?

Untitled.jpg
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm "I have no idea what I'm doing" girl when it comes to the machines! I know what to do with a dumbbell or a barbell but the machines look like high tech torture devices to me! I tweaked my wrist so many of the barbell/dumbbell exercises are out for a time but I can do many of the machines... if I can figure them out. :embarassed:
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

...but you know she is MAD that you are staring at her right? AND that she is judging you?

I ain't mad....but I will judge you.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I'm the people-want-to-help-me girl...when I don't want any damn help!!!!!!!!!!

My last gym visit I had a guy come over and tell me he's going to help me and then literally helped me lift the dumbbell, WTF?!?!?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I'm "I have no idea what I'm doing" girl when it comes to the machines! I know what to do with a dumbbell or a barbell but the machines look like high tech torture devices to me! I tweaked my wrist so many of the barbell/dumbbell exercises are out for a time but I can do many of the machines... if I can figure them out. :embarassed:

Okay if I find you a pic I'll post it, in the meantime just be glad you arent' her...

post-52-image-2.jpg i think she is the gym's most reviled member. I don't wanna see anyones tuffets. period!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Im the dude that looks like he is trying to eat his own face while lifting weak *kitten* weight.
  • Thyiela
    Options
    I'm none of these people. I'm the 60 year old woman being pissed off by all the young dudes who think their mother is going to come after them and put all the equipment away. I'm a hunter but not a gatherer. I'm looking for the 20 lb weight that some jack *kitten* hauled over to the stretching area and left there. People, put your stuff away!!!!! Or I'm going to bring a pick axe to the gym and cut you off at the knees.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm unique and defy all stereotypes. Is there such a thing as a stereotypical eccentric? I might be that....