Leaving your child at home alone??

Options
ChristinaOrtiz23
ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
at what age did you leave your child at home alone for the first time? not the whole day, just for like an hour? Just curious on other peoples opinions? I have a almost 5 year old and know that wont be ANY TIME SOON!!! Just curious on the age that would be ok to do it! I know every state has different laws but i know not everyone follows them! So what age did you leave them alone?

Thanks
:wink:

Replies

• Tryxxie2013
    Tryxxie2013 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    My son turned 10 this year and the only time we leave him alone is when we take the short trip to the store. He knows what he's supposed to do and not supposed to do, he knows the emergency numbers & my cell, he knows not to let anyone inside the house. Still, I freak out when we do it, of course, but sometimes you have to let them prove that they are capable of it.
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    My daughter was 12 and son 10. Now they are 17 and 15 and wheww whooo, I don't have a curfew :)
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My oldest is 9 but much more responsible than his siblings, also a 9 year old and two 7 year olds.
    We have left my 9 year old home to run and get a pizza a couple of blocks away but I still freaked out.
    I am not sure if I EVER see myself leaving the other 3 kids home alone LOL. I think a lot of it depends on their maturity level.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options
    My son turned 10 this year and the only time we leave him alone is when we take the short trip to the store. He knows what he's supposed to do and not supposed to do, he knows the emergency numbers & my cell, he knows not to let anyone inside the house. Still, I freak out when we do it, of course, but sometimes you have to let them prove that they are capable of it.

i was thinking that age too!!! but i know it all depends on maturity too!!! Im going to be freaking out the day i do it too lol
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    at what age did you leave your child at home alone for the first time? not the whole day, just for like an hour? Just curious on other peoples opinions? I have a almost 5 year old and know that wont be ANY TIME SOON!!! Just curious on the age that would be ok to do it! I know every state has different laws but i know not everyone follows them! So what age did you leave them alone?

Thanks
    :wink:

11, and that was the legal age for a child to be left home alone in Wisconsin. And I called home every 1/2 hour to check on them.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options
    My daughter was 12 and son 10. Now they are 17 and 15 and wheww whooo, I don't have a curfew :)

lmao! you lose you curfew when you move out but then you get one again when you have kids lmao
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

lmao! you lose you curfew when you move out but then you get one again when you have kids lmao

Then they grow up and move out and life is wonderful.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options
    My oldest is 9 but much more responsible than his siblings, also a 9 year old and two 7 year olds.
    We have left my 9 year old home to run and get a pizza a couple of blocks away but I still freaked out.
    I am not sure if I EVER see myself leaving the other 3 kids home alone LOL. I think a lot of it depends on their maturity level.

see my mom started leaving my brother alone at 9 (hes 11 now) but my sister is 10 now and she couldn't do it with her!! even now!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options

Then they grow up and move out and life is wonderful.

lmfao!! :laugh:
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

Exactly !! Curfew as a teen / then no curfew / had kids (had a curfew) / now they are teens and I'm done bearing and now no curfew... but now I am too old to stay out late... LMAO...
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I think I was around 10 or 11, and had two younger siblings that were also home. My mom would run out to the grocery store down the street to grab a few things. We kept all of the doors locked. That was before we had cell phones and we all survived lol!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    10 for short trips and 12 for longer
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options

Exactly !! Curfew as a teen / then no curfew / had kids (had a curfew) / now they are teens and I'm done bearing and now no curfew... but now I am too old to stay out late... LMAO...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My kids are 9 and 6....won't be for a few years.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can go by age alone, it depends on how mature and sensible they are...or not!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I think this picture is lifesize...but wth.

home-alone.jpg
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options
    I think this picture is lifesize...but wth.

home-alone.jpg

lmao!!!!!!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options
    I don't think you can go by age alone, it depends on how mature and sensible they are...or not!

I totally agree!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    We started leaving the boys home at 12 and 9 for about an hour at a time. Gives us time to get a quick date night in or run to the grocery store. They are 13 and 10 now and we can leave them for the evening if needed.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I am not a parent, but i was left alone at age 7 to dress myself, eat breakfast and walk to school (it was only a block away). Make sure i locked the door and keep the key on a chain around my neck because i used to lose things. Other than the fact that i used to throw away my food instead of eating it, i was fine.