Maybe my 100 pound weight loss goal was too ambitious

Options

Replies

• MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat on a typical day?

Normally around 1350. I save my exercise calories for my pizza day on the weekend.

I have become very articulate in my calorie counting...I weigh almost everything except for things that give the calorie count for each thing such as a slice of bread or cheese sticks.

Before I cook a recipe I weigh and measure the ingredients as I add them. After cooking I reweigh the finished product and determine what my portion size is.

On weekends...especially Sunday I give myself some extra calories...maybe closer to 1450...sometimes 1500.

I have averages losing weight at a rate of 2lbs a week....I am pleased with that.

What's going on that you need extra calories on the weekend?

This can become a quick slide down.(and up the scale) I would suggest that you look into Overeaters Anonymous. Those of us who overeat have all kinds if reasons in our head regarding why it's ok to eat too much on occasion. Listen to some podcasts online and attend some meetings.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm playing a tiny violin for you over here

30 pounds in 4 months is fantastic. at that rate you'll be at your 101 loss in a little over a year. did it take you just a little over a year to gain that weight?
  • LucyMcCasland
    Options
    I break my weight loss goals into smaller goals. 100 pounds of weight loss probably feels like an insurmountable goal, but 10 pounds seems more doable. When that is achieved, make another goal. etc. I have to break down my goals or I give up before I even start. I even have goal pants a size smaller than I am now. For now, that is what I am aiming for. I hope that helps you.
  • dickrocketjones
    dickrocketjones Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Whenever i stagnate i look at the smaller victories i have made- not just the numbers on a scale. Do I feel better now than I did when I started? Did I get any exercise today? Did I over eat today? How is my blood pressure today? Stuff like that. It will keep me motivated. I know this marathon will last the rest of my life and I need to just stick with it. Don't give up. We're here for you. Your not going through this by yourself. Good luck and power on.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    30 pounds in 4 months is very good! you can do it, but it takes time. obviously what your doing is working, so just keep doing it! youll get there!!!
  • kymber2280
    Options
    The good thing is you are loosing weight at a healthy rate, and if you keep up with your lifestyle changes you will continue to lose and keep it off.

My suggestions for increasing your weight loss and what has helped me:

- I would aim to do 20-30 min a day of moving ( walking, swimming, weight training ect )
    - Try a walking or running clinic at your local running store ( great for beginners and very gradual and cheap. Hated running and now im hooked! )
    - Definitely set short term goals ( 2lbs per week, than try 10 lbs per month ect ..)
    - Only eat extra calories if you have earned them with exercise
    - Don't drink away your calories, water, tea and coffee are all you need
    - Invest in a good blender and start making smoothies
    - Don't eat past 7pm ( If you get hungry drink a huge glass of water and go to bed...lol )

If you watch tv when you workout, plan it around your favorite show, or start a Netflix series and only allow yourself to watch that show if you are working out at the same time ( right now im hooked on "The following" and I only let myself watch it if im on the treadmill, which gets me on quite often! )

Keep going! Consistency is the key and you are 1/3 of the way there!!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

Normally around 1350. I save my exercise calories for my pizza day on the weekend.

I have become very articulate in my calorie counting...I weigh almost everything except for things that give the calorie count for each thing such as a slice of bread or cheese sticks.

Before I cook a recipe I weigh and measure the ingredients as I add them. After cooking I reweigh the finished product and determine what my portion size is.

On weekends...especially Sunday I give myself some extra calories...maybe closer to 1450...sometimes 1500.

I have averages losing weight at a rate of 2lbs a week....I am pleased with that.

This can become a quick slide down.(and up the scale) I would suggest that you look into Overeaters Anonymous. Those of us who overeat have all kinds if reasons in our head regarding why it's ok to eat too much on occasion. Listen to some podcasts online and attend some meetings.

Unless the OP is very short (5ft or under) then 1500 calories probably isn't too much, especially 1-2 a week if the other days are 1350, and especially if she's 70 lbs overweight. If she's consistently weighing, measuring, and logging her food, this calorie goal is perfectly reasonable.

OP- 30 lbs in 4 months is totally healthy and reasonable rate of loss. I don't think anyone has asked yet: how long have you been stalled? If it's just 1-3 weeks...wait it out. Loss isn't linear, sometimes it's nothing for a few weeks, sometimes it's more than you expect. If it's been a month, then yeah, something needs tweaking. You have to think of it this way: this isn't about losing 70 more pounds and then going back to the way things used to be. You have to change your eating FOREVER if you want to get to and maintain your goal. So, even if nothing happens for a few weeks, in the long run, that's nothing, this is for life.
  • kymber2280
    Options
    Also, I have about 30lbs to lose and have managed to lose 10 lbs in 5 weeks ( 5 of those pounds were since Jan 1 when i started logging my calories :)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    - Don't eat past 7pm ( If you get hungry drink a huge glass of water and go to bed...lol )

Eat whenever you want. Doesn't matter unless it gives you a bellyache or you can't sleep. I eat most of my calories between 6pm and 2am. Lots of people here eat late. As long as you are under your calorie goal, eat when you like to eat.

Re: smoothies...for ME, this is a way to drink a whole ton of calories and feel like I haven't actually eaten any food. I would much rather have a few actual pieces of fruit and some yogurt that I can slowly eat and enjoy each different taste and texture, than a shake that tastes like a combination of things I end up gulping down. Some people love smoothies, but for me, it's a way-too-easy way to consume extra calories without eating.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Really??? You think eating 1500 calories one day a week qualifies me for Overeaters Anonymous??? LOL

First...in 5 months I have averaged losing 2lbs a week...I am good with that.

Second...during that 5 months I have learned to limit those calorie dense foods...not eliminate them.

Third...in the past when I have tried to lose weight I have banned all those foods that I enjoyed...each and every time...I failed.

Fourth...I believe that it is more about long term than just a number on the scale. Most people can lose weight...few keep it off. Why??? Mostly because they feel deprived...that they have had to "give up" the foods that they enjoy. Again...I am learning that I can have the foods that I enjoy...just not as often and in moderation.

Fifth...I work for those meals. After a week of staying on track...exercising...saving some calories so that I can have those 2 pieces of pizza (Oh...I changed to a thin crust so that I could save a few calories) that I truly do enjoy.

Sixth...Another reason why people gain weight back....the restrict themselves while dieting...after losing the weight they go back to eating as they had before...guess what...usually...most often...they gain the weight back simply because they didn't learn how to control themselves.

Seventh...this list could go on and on.

To sum it all up...I finally after all of these years found a way to be successful. I don't feel deprived...I eat the foods that I love...I have average 2lbs a week for over 5 months. I haven't given up. I am healthier than I have been for years...more fit (yes...after all these years a 61 year old overweight arthritic woman now does some form of exercise every day)...I also like myself more and for the first time in over 20 years...I know that I am worth it.

Really??? You think that someone that eats 1350 calories 6 days a week and 1500 1 day a week...over eats???

How many calories a day do you average???

Thank you however for being concerned and offering your advice. Right now I am fairly sure that I have found a way that works for me...not just short term...but long term.
  • Annie_01
    Options

Unless the OP is very short (5ft or under) then 1500 calories probably isn't too much, especially 1-2 a week if the other days are 1350, and especially if she's 70 lbs overweight. If she's consistently weighing, measuring, and logging her food, this calorie goal is perfectly reasonable.

OP- 30 lbs in 4 months is totally healthy and reasonable rate of loss. I don't think anyone has asked yet: how long have you been stalled? If it's just 1-3 weeks...wait it out. Loss isn't linear, sometimes it's nothing for a few weeks, sometimes it's more than you expect. If it's been a month, then yeah, something needs tweaking. You have to think of it this way: this isn't about losing 70 more pounds and then going back to the way things used to be. You have to change your eating FOREVER if you want to get to and maintain your goal. So, even if nothing happens for a few weeks, in the long run, that's nothing, this is for life.

The "FoodGod" didn't direct their comments to the OP...they were directed toward me for saving some of my burned calories toward me because I save some for the weekend so that I can have a couple of slices of pizza on the weekend.

I am 5'6"...age 61...SW 246 (or at least that is what I weighed when I first got on the scale...I was heavier but wouldn't weigh)...GW 145...CW 200. I am 1lb away from seeing Onederland...4lbs away from being half way there. For some reason...and as soon as I get over the shock of eating 1500 calories one day a week qualifying me for "Overeaters Anonymous" I will probably understand that "FoodGod" is merely deflecting their own issues on to me.

I think there are many people that are afraid of eating...afraid that they will not be able to control themselves. I have learned throughout this process not to let food control me...I choose what I want to eat...and when I want to eat it...and how much.

Oh well...we each have our issues...for me it was not having control of my life...letting events in my life convince me that I was not worth living a full and happy life.

Each pound that I have lost has been one less excuse that I have for not living the life that I deserve.
  • Annie_01
    Options

Eat whenever you want. Doesn't matter unless it gives you a bellyache or you can't sleep. I eat most of my calories between 6pm and 2am. Lots of people here eat late. As long as you are under your calorie goal, eat when you like to eat.

Re: smoothies...for ME, this is a way to drink a whole ton of calories and feel like I haven't actually eaten any food. I would much rather have a few actual pieces of fruit and some yogurt that I can slowly eat and enjoy each different taste and texture, than a shake that tastes like a combination of things I end up gulping down. Some people love smoothies, but for me, it's a way-too-easy way to consume extra calories without eating.

I used to eat most of my calories in the evenings because that has always been my "munchie" time. After starting to exercise in the morning and early afternoons I found that afternoons were the times that I got hungry so I shifted some of my calories so that I wouldn't get hungry. I find that works for me.

I agree with you...eat when you feel the need...just stay within your calorie goals.
  • ItalianGirl0110
    Options
    I had a total of 100 pounds to lose the weight. I started by going 15 pounds at a time. With each 15 pound goal I have, once I lose 15 pounds, I reward myself with a small reward. maybe a new outfit, just something to award myself with my winning. I also every other Friday, I go and have a meal of what ever I want. If I want a friend chicken dinner, that's is what I have and it seems to keep me on my toes and stops my body from saving the fat. I seem to lose more weight doing it this way. Good Luck

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • deobez
    deobez Posts: 1
    Options
    You should treat the whole thing as an investigation of yourself. What works for one person does not work for another. Try the different methods/approaches and watch the scales and see what works for you. Tinker experiment enjoy!
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    30 lbs in 4 months is an amazing accomplishment. You made it through Thanksgiving, Christmas and New years. These are all HUGE in the world of weight loss. There are so many things in our everyday lives that tempt us in the wrong direction, every time you make a good choice for you, is a mark in the win column. You are obviously doing something right.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    30 pounds in 4 months is awesome! Why give up now?
    Agree. I've lost about 12 in the same period.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I put this together a while back. It seems to have helped some folks. It worked for me and tons of others.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

also, STOP ASKING OTHER PEOPLE HOW MUCH THEY EAT! They aren't you. It doesn't matter if someone else can lose on a certain amount. You're losing on what you're doing, you're just impatient.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    First 30 lbs in 4 months is fantastic! So it's obviously working!

When I started last year my I was looking at having to lose about 140-150 lbs to be in a healthy range. Well that number scared the hell out of me, so I focused on a week at a time, what can I do today and this week that will help me lose 1 lb this week.

Some weeks are better than others, right now I've been bouncing between a 6 lb range for the last couple weeks, so I'm looking at my diary to see what I can adjust slightly (which is I've been slacking lately eating out more often so I'm holding onto water weight)

But what truly helped me was to stop focusing so much on all the weight I need to lose, and start focusing on fitness related goals. When I started exercising I could ride a bike for 5 minutes at a time, so my goal next week is to ride it for 6 minutes, and so on. Now I just had my longest ride yet of 46 miles. Is my lifting progressing, can I do better today than yesterday. If so than I'm on track.

Do my clothes fit and look better than a month ago, there are so many ways to track progression without solely focusing on the number the scale gives you.

Now I'm getting more coffee so I hope this made sense cause there is way too much blood in my caffeine stream at the moment! Good luck
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Ok, MFP, I need a pep talk. I am feeling a little frustrated with my weight loss. I have been doing this for over 4 months and I still feel just as lost and unsure of myself as when I started. I am thinking that maybe my goal of 100 pounds is too ambitious and I don't have the strength, knowledge, skills to get there. Maybe 30 pounds is all that I have the ability to achieve and i need to just focus on maintaining what I have. I am still obese and for my health to be optimized, I need to get off another 70 pounds. I have read everything there is to find about caloric intake, exercise, cardio versus strength training and the more I read, the more confused I get. I see many people reach their 100 pound goal, but for some reason, I am starting to think that I am different and not capable of achieving it. The method that I used to lose the 30 pounds no longer seems to be working. I just need a pep talk. Especially from you guys who have managed to meet aggressive goals. I am not giving up, I am not stopping. I just don't know if I am doing this right. I am doubting myself because my results are not forth coming. I would like to print out your positive responses and hang them on my mirror to help keep me motivated. I love my MFP community and I am hoping you guys can talk me through this. UGH!!!

Patience, persistence, and consistency is what it takes. It can be done. here's my story:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/my-thanks-to-the-man-of-steel-407835

Given the dieting history described in your profile, it seems like it would particularly help to focus on building sustainable habits that will stick with you in the long run.

What are you doing now for diet and exercise, and what have your results looked like over time? Your results so far look good. Have you been losing consistently? Have you recently stalled? What is the issue? What makes you think you're different and not capable?

The advice trogalicious provided above is a good place to start. This link is also a good read to help focus your thinking: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, you burn less calories, so you either need to workout a little more or eat a little less. It is possible. Don't give up and keep trying. It's about a mindset change, if you feel like you are depriving yourself or you aren't happy- I would think that you would be more of a 'dieter' than a lifestyle change. Losing weight and keeping it off is really stopping missing your old ways and start loving the new ways =) you can do this, just figure out where you are struggling the most