Maybe my 100 pound weight loss goal was too ambitious

Options

Replies

• Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    When I first started out and finally became successful, I didn't set a goal. I just kept doing what I was doing and eventually I got to where I am now. I had 90 pounds off total at one point. I have gained back a little bit, but I don't give up. I have lost focus many times and have taken the long road, but I am still in the game and I will succeed. I WILL NOT gain back this weight. I will keep working hard and staying focused even if it is just to maintain. Just keep doing what you are doing and eventually you will get to where you should be, or want to be. Give it time. It took me 2 years to get to my best.
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    30 pounds in 4 months is awesome! Why give up now?
    ^^^ this exactly. it took me months just to lose 15lbs and I still have roughly 25lbs to lose.

You are doing a great job so keep it up!!
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    In all the management and leadership training that I have had, they always say you should make LONG TERM and SHORT TERM goals. I think you should consider that same with your weight loss journey. Losing 100 is TOTALLY doable, HOWEVER, I think it is safe to say that none of us gained all our weight overnight, therefore, we won't lose it overnight either.

Set a goal for the next 1 or 2 weeks...the next 30 days...don't worry about the 100. It will happen all in due time. YOU GOT THIS!!!
  • theresap1031
    theresap1031 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Start with a smaller number. Like 20 lbs. I had a goal of 10lbs by the end of Feb. I've lost 6lbs so far and Now I'm saying 20lbs by end of Feb.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I put this together a while back. It seems to have helped some folks. It worked for me and tons of others.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

also, STOP ASKING OTHER PEOPLE HOW MUCH THEY EAT! They aren't you. It doesn't matter if someone else can lose on a certain amount. You're losing on what you're doing, you're just impatient.

+1
    QFT
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on that number. Just stick to your way of eating and let the progress happen. 30 pounds in 4 months is a high weekly average, and nothing to be discouraged over. If you maintain that same rate for 52 weeks, you'll blow right by your goal.
  • mrsctpace
    mrsctpace Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As you probably already know...I am a footbal enthusiast...I also have more than 100 pounds to lose.

I'm treating each 10 pounds lost as a First Down...

During this weightloss game, I'm sure there are going to be days where it feels as though I've thrown an interception, and/or may have possibly fumbled (caused some type of turnover); however, I'm determined to keep possession...I'm not ready to punt, or kick-off (relinguish control) to the opposition (excuses, negativity, self-doubt, setbacks, stalled weightloss, etc.).

Reach ten First Downs...and I have a TOUCHDOWN!!! There is no delay of game (the timeclock isn't going to expired)...however long it takes, I'm striving for the Touchdown

We (the newbies) have our cheerleaders (our friends on MFP); our coaches (those experienced w/ successful weightloss). We are the players and the referees...we get to play this game (and not watch from the sidelines). Let's make some good calls (decisions) to gain positive yards. Every First Down gets us closer to the END GOAL. It's our ball (journey)...

Are you ready for SOME FOOTBALL?!?!?
  • mi18agnes
    Options
    I've already posted on your profile post about this: "I think about it all the time, but it depends on your body and height! But I'm sure you'll definitely reach your ideal weight, you're a fighter :) keep going" but I would like to add something.
    Weight is not the only number you should be worried about. In fact my weight is at least to me secundary, of course it keeps me on track and even gives me motivation, but for me the most important is to measure my body (thighs, waist, calves) and to look in the mirror. I have in mind that muscle weights a lot more than fat, and I do lots of strenght training. Your image and the way you think of yourself should count!

You got this!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I think everyone has periods where they get tired of watching what they eat and wonder if the whole thing is worth the effort. Those of us with less to lose get frustrated because we don't lose at a faster rate, and those with more to lose get frustrated because their goal seems so much farther away.

Try to find the fortitude to soldier on. Those feelings fade when you hit unexpected goals. When you drop a size, or when a stranger pays you an unexpected compliment that you can attribute to your loss. When you are able to move more, do more, feel more confident in yourself (this one takes the longest). All of those things are coming up for you. Don't miss out on them :flowerforyou:
  • kymber2280
    Options
    Simply what has worked for me elyelyse. There is no right or wrong answer ;)
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    The method that I used to lose the 30 pounds no longer seems to be working. I just need a pep talk.
    Your body adapts, try changing things up.. If you are running/walking try swimming.
    If you doing P90X do Insanity.
    If you work out only at nights, work out morning and night at have the time.
    Instead of focusing on 100 lbs, or 70lbs or even 30lbs.. just focus on the first 1lbs or 2lbs.
  • Jillid71
    Jillid71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a total of 97 lbs to lose, and my plan is to focus on 10% at a time- it isn't as daunting when you do it that way. Please don't give up! You can do it!!!
  • brklynchick81
    brklynchick81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sometimes focusing on the big number can be overwhelming. This is what has made me give up, only to restart over again.

I focus on small things I have accomplished to keep me motivated. I also recommend changing up the routine a bit, do a workout you have never done before (or rearrange it). Eat a "healthy" food you never tried for a month.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    29lbs lost is no easy feat, my friend! It's only been 4 months so that's 7# lost each month. It has taken me 3 months to lose 7# and I'm leaping for joy lol. Keep at it... sometimes when you have the same ol' routine everyday your body gets wise to what you're doing and you have to shake things up a bit and try something new.... which is probably a good thing because you don't want to get bored with it right? Set mini goals for yourself. I only have a little to lose in comparison, and setting mini goals has really helped me keep things in perspective. Mine are:

169lbs by Valentines Day
    150lbs by July 4th
    140lbs (goal) by my birthday, August 23rd.

Sometimes we get so focused on the finish line that we forget to enjoy the journey along the way. Celebrate every lb! And when you think that 29lbs isn't a whole lot..... strap an extra 29lbs to your belt when you work out and you will be glad you're rid of it! Good luck and keep on going! You can do it!
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. 30 lbs in 4 months is amazing. Don't look how far you have to go, look back and think how far you've come. I have been doing WW for the past 2 yrs and have lost 70 lbs but I have been stuck between 180-185 since June. Financial reasons finally forced me to quit WW but I refuse to give up the fight. I too have an ultimate goal of 100 lbs but what I do is post pics on FB for every 25 lost. Set yourself up for success by giving yourself smaller, more manageable goals and you'll see yourself where you want to be in no time.
  • 7Kirkwall
    Options
    You are a strong, beautiful lady and you have already lost 30 lbs!! Just keep moving and keep smiling! Philippians 4:13
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As others have said, 30 pounds in 4 months is fantastic!! That's an average of 1.74 pounds per week!! Even if your goal is 2 pounds per week, that's not too far behind. I would highly recommend you do this averaging for your own sanity, it especially helps on those weeks (or even months) when the weight starts coming off so slowly or you completely stall. Each month is about 4.3 weeks. So 4 months would be 17.2 weeks, 30 / 17.2 = 1.74 pounds per week.

When I started out in 2010, I can tell you, it was a bit scary to face the fact that I had about 100 pounds to lose just to get to the top of the healthy weight range for my height. I freaked out a bit! Then I took a deep breath and got over it because I knew that it would take time and that kind of pressure is what got to me in past weight loss attempts. What's the big rush?? I've been at this for 4 years now and I'm still not quite to goal but I'm getting closer all the time and most importantly, I am WAY more healthy and fit than I have been in over 20 years. THAT is what's important.

Set small goals. Be proud and celebrate all of your accomplishments. And most of all be patient.

Best of luck!
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Just a few things to remind you.......

1391961_10151836988631925_1268468806_n.png

22ed9ccc-857b-4827-b919-4d29a2f25d05.jpg

"If you believe, you are already half way there!"

Good luck to you - YOU CAN DO THIS!!! :wink:
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Just continue on with what you have been doing. Thirty pounds is a good amount to lose in that period of time.

Try not to look at the total amount as others here have advised. Break it up into manageable amounts, mini-goals.

You are doing great!
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thanks team for the pep talk. I think your words were so motivational. I am printing each reply to put into my diet book so that I can read them every day. Especially on days when I don't think I am going to make it to 100. The biggest lesson you guys have taught me is to focus on my mini goals. I have four mini goals of 25 pounds each. I only have ten more pounds to go before I will have reached my second mini goal. So i think I will rephrase my argument and now say, I only have 15 more pounds to go and I can do it! Thanks for the help MFP.