Have you decided not to weigh yourself daily? Please share:)

Options

Replies

• naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I do weigh myself everyday, just because I find it helps it helps me get more on top of my diet and excercise. I get demotivated and lazy if I don't always have that reminder. I just remember not to focus too much on it, and If I gain a little weight over the course of 24 hours, but I know I've eaten well the day before, I don't worry about it! Odds are its just water retention. I use it to keep me motivated, but I don't let it get in my head!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I rarely weigh, I don't even own scales. I don't know why anyone would torture themselves and weigh daily!!

Dread the Scale? 5 Reasons You Can Skip Weighing Yourself
    http://news.health.com/2013/01/10/dread-scale-skip-weighing-yourself/
  • victoriousO
    victoriousO Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth on this issue. I weigh every Friday morning and record it on here, up or down. I do weigh in the am if I think I have done really good the day before (in between Fridays). The scale itself should not have so much power in our lives!!!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because I have a wifi scale that auto records it into here for me, and because I love data. I never compare it to yesterday though - I always look back at what it was the same day the prior week to judge. So it can go up and down, but 7 days ago is the only day I care about how it relates to. Seeing the daily fluctuations is actually good for me, because I can look at the graph of a month and see I am down 5 pounds overall, regardless of how many were up and how many were down days. So on days i see it is up, I dont worry at all. If I get discouraged, I simply look back at the same day the prior month and its all good :)
  • DonnaElizabeth58
    Options
    You should not weight yourself daily and not more often than weekly. The .1 or .2 pounds you lose or gain in one day are indications of how hydrated you are at that moment, how much salt you ate the day before, or whether you have eliminated recently. They tell you nothing about your actual progress. Weight Watchers has people weigh in weekly. Here is a link to a good article on this issue.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/kathleen-trotter/losing-weight-weighing-yourself_b_2235153.html
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Once a week, always on friday morning first thing after a wee! :-)
    I couldn't cope with daily weighing at the moment (the fluctuations would get to me), and weekly seems right for me so I know I am on the right track.
    I am petrified of wasting time, as I need to be able to fit some of my warmer clothes when winter comes. I just don't have the money to be replacing clothes right now.

Me, too. It would make me crazy to look at it every day. I do it weekly, and that's enough. It takes me 3-4 minutes to get the scale out, strip down, weigh, and then put it back. Most mornings, I need every minute I can get. Not wasting my time each day on something that makes me anxious.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I try to put off weighing as long as I can. It always seems to do nothing but disappoint me, even when I lose, it seems like it is never enough. If I weighed everyday I think it would make me cranky!
    To keep myself from weighing, I drink a bottle of water before I get out of bed. Because who ho the heck wants to weigh after they drank something?
  • myaiki
    myaiki Posts: 10
    Options
    I weigh every day, just to keep myself accountable. After years of dieting/exercising and trying to get this weight off, I have found that I do best when I know where I stand every single day. When I stop weighing myself daily, I then make excuses to eat more of the wrong things because I know I have "all week to make up for it." Then it snowballs from there. If I know that I will see the ramifications of my indiscretions on the scale the very next day, I will think long and hard before making that bad food choice.

I also keep a spreadsheet of all my daily info, i.e., weight, calories in, exercise, weight watchers points, etc. I like looking at the data each week to see how I am improving.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've stopped weighing...mostly because I don't trust either digital scale that I have. Also, I've pretty much lost as much weight as I'm likely to lose, so I'm measuring my fat loss by taking skin fold measurements.
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    In used to weigh my self daily when I liked the number I seen on the scale. When I got close to my 40's things started to change. I tried all kinds of different weight loss methods & when the scale did not go down as fast as I wanted it to I became really discouraged & it became a really negative experience. Now I am weighing once a week to stay focused but not get off track with seeing the daily fluctuations. My best advice is use it as a tool but do not get obsessed with it.:smile::wink:
  • ShapenerFiterrati
    ShapenerFiterrati Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yeah, because I found that the scale changes sometimes hurt me more than help me.. So I weigh once every week at the same time (morning).
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Years ago I went through a bad patch where I weighed up to 20 times a day! I ended up throwing the scales away and getting my head in a better place.

Now I weigh every couple of days and record weekly. I totally get how it can be a hindrance to some and think you need to do what is best for you! We are all different.
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    I think it all depends on how you respond psychologically to the number that you see on the scale. If you're like me, you get really discouraged when the number doesn't change somewhat rapidly. If I weigh every week and only see a pound or a half pound difference, I get frustrated and I'm more likely to stop working as hard because I feel like it isn't helping. But you may be one of those, like some who have responded, who say they can logically consider that their weight fluctuates a bit between days and not get discouraged. If that's the case, there's no danger in purchasing a new scale for yourself. Personally, I put my scale in a closet and only pull it out when I know I've worked my *kitten* off and I basically weigh myself to reward myself with an opportunity to see how much I've dropped. That encourages me to continue working that hard. ;)

Best of luck to you!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh anymore at all. That number had way more influence over my moods and feelings of self worth than it should have. Instead I take lots of pictures and go by how my clothes fit. It's been working great for me so far.
  • lindanewland37
    lindanewland37 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist wants me to weigh daily in the event of water retention so I do weigh most days; however I only count the Monday morning weight to track my weight loss.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily *because of* the fluctuations. Those fluctuations don't magically disappear if you weigh weekly or monthly. By weighing daily, I can see and understand that my weight may change up to +/-6 pounds and frequently changes +/-3 pounds in just 24 hours...so when it happens, there's nothing to worry about. (And when I fit a line to all those daily data points, I get a nice smooth line that happens to trend with my expected gain/loss based on my food/exercise log).

That said, you don't *need* to weigh yourself often (or at all) for success...but I find it a useful metric.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily *because of* the fluctuations. Those fluctuations don't magically disappear if you weigh weekly or monthly. By weighing daily, I can see and understand that my weight may change up to +/-6 pounds and frequently changes +/-3 pounds in just 24 hours...so when it happens, there's nothing to worry about. (And when I fit a line to all those daily data points, I get a nice smooth line that happens to trend with my expected gain/loss based on my food/exercise log).

That said, you don't *need* to weigh yourself often (or at all) for success...but I find it a useful metric.

Bingo. Decreasing the sample frequency doesn't prevent variation from happening, it just makes it less likely for you to have the complete picture when you DO weigh in.
  • jessicameadsstephens
    Options
    I pretty much weight daily, I record everytime I lose a pound and if it fluctuates I dont worry about it untl I lose the next pound. As long as i am doing whats right then it will get there!
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    No!! I stopped my daily weighing and put on 10 lbs. I know it is controversial and I have to be able to handle a 2-3 lb overnight weight gain but it keeps me from shoving things into my mouth. This works for me.