Do you leave your kids alone in the car?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    All the more reason to leave them unattended with freaks circling about like sharks.

You may want to look into medication.

And I live in Florida.
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Nope... never!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    not sure why you live but it's illegal where I live and I have called the cops on people who have done it.

Freakin' kidding me....
  • Ottinger13
    Ottinger13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes I have left my kids in the car alone. Both are grown adults now, but seriously an 8 year old should be left alone for the time it takes to run in and pick up quick items. Lock the car, set the rules, and go.

I would not leave a baby alone in the car, but seriously talk to your kids, set some rules up, test them with friends you know and they do not, and go forward. Kids who are not allowed to make decisions grow into adults who cannot think on their own.
  • Brown523
    Brown523 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid sometimes my dad would leave us in the car to run into the ATM or a convenience store but the doors got locked and we had a password to let him back in. Of course this was the 80's!
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    People really dont have better things to ask? Man if Zombies take over they are going to feel pissed when they cant find brains anywhere.

I am ALL for sarcasm and witty quips, but this seems unnecessarily rude. It is the chit-chat section, not the weight loss advice section. :tongue:

Edited to add: Uh, NO, I never leave my 7 and 9 year olds in the car alone. Too many crazys out there, no matter where you live.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    God no, when you say "that wont happen to me" yep, guess again, your the one. Dont leave your children unattended period.
  • minibandit
    Options
    If my 15 year old is in the car with the 9 and 6 year old then yes, if he's not with us then NO.I have three fears regarding this - one is that someone might come up to them, two is that they take the handbrake off or something by accident (or not) and third is someone seeing them alone and me being reported.

I have to say - number 1 and 2 are enough that I've only ever given number 3 a seconds thought.

However, saying that, as a kid I was left in the car a lot, not just by my parents but, by friends parents when I was with them. I remember spending all evening in a car with my friend while my friends parents were in the pub! They moved away when I was 10 years old so I was much younger than that!
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I would never do it...not in this day and time. No way, no how.
  • loseitnow66
    Options
    I'm in law enforcement and I have in the past and I'm sure I will in the future smash a car window to remove a child left alone in a vehicle. I get that it's a pain in the *kitten* to drag a kid with you while you're just running into a store for a second, but how would you feel to come out and have your child gone?
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    My 13 year old, yes, on occasion. My 5 year old? Never. And I don't let the 13 year old watch the 5 year old in the car.

And no one waits in the car during the summer, ever.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    God no, when you say "that wont happen to me" yep, guess again, your the one. Dont leave your children unattended period.

Thank you!!!! This is EXACTLY what I was trying to say. Only I just woke up.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have a 19 year old...she leaves me alone in the car constantly!! Darn irresponsible teenagers!! And in the summer she doesn't even bother to crack a window...it's parent abuse I tell ya! :laugh:

On a serious note, I don't recall ever leaving my kids alone in the car when they were under 10.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My daughter is almost 8 years old and has been well trained on what the rules are. If I'm running into the store for just a minute (Walgreens for a tube of toothpaste or the gas station for a bottle of water...whatever...) I will lock the doors and run in if she doesn't want to come in with me.

I also don't exactly live in a big city...
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

In my town, a woman left her BABY in the car so she could go into a bar and participate in a "naughty school girl" contest. She lost, and was arrested.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I would never do it...not in this day and time. No way, no how.
    You do realize that child abductions in 2014 are exactly the same as child abductions in, say, 1970, right? Statistically, it isn't any more likely now (less than 1% of all child abductions are by strangers) than it was when we were kids.

You just hear more about it now.

I feel so sorry for children now. They can't even go outside and play freely for a few hours anymore.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You aren't from Florida, are you? Florida is where all of the craziness happens.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :noway:

Check out the Orlando Sentinel for a week or two straight and then ask yourself if you'd leave your kid in the vehicle.

I think not!

That can happen anywhere. Not just Florida. Wow... :noway:

Oh, okay. Your baby is in serious risk anywhere. All the more reason to leave them unattended with freaks circling about like sharks. Because 1 in 1,000,000, right? Well, my kid will NOT be that 1.

Note: There has been a lot of talk around here about the insaneness of Florida, so if you think it was "wow" of me to post the Florida bit, it was in jest. And seriously, check OrlandoSentinel.com, the headlines are outrageous.

K.. *puts on tinfoil hat*

tinfoilhat1170383657.jpg

+1

She should take a look around her. Yet another ignorant statement in the public forums. Go figure.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    At that age in Michigan it is not legal to leave them unattended in a vehicle. If I left my kids, I don't think I'd have a car left when I came back.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    not sure why you live but it's illegal where I live and I have called the cops on people who have done it.

^^^ That. When my son was an infant I would literally put him in his seat and run to the store and if that's when he decided to fall asleep I'd turn around and go back home.

I remember when I was a kid we were left in the car once we were old enough to not jump around like idiots, with the instruction to lock all doors, and only when we were in packs (generally there was no less than 4 of us).
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do it all the time. In fact, they aren't even my kids. I take them from the cars they are in and switch them around. It's quite a fun game as well. Baby seats can be a bit cumbersome, but it makes it more enjoyable.

You get bonus points if you keep the kids quiet whilst you're doing it as well.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: