What do you eat for breakfast while pressed for time?

Options
NikkiDerrig386
NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
I am trying to get some ideas for breakfast. I am sick of the same old thing. When I am pressed for time I cant make egg white omlettes or breakfast burrito etc. So what I usually do is oatmeal to go, yogurt (not filling enough), or a whole grain english muffin with peanut butter, and a 1/2 of a bananna. I was talking to a trainer at my gym and he said to try to cut that out of my diet bc its too many carbs in one sitting. So what do you usually eat on the go?

Replies

• sara_jean_15
    sara_jean_15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try adding some protein to your oatmeal. Helps make it more filling. I add protein powder and a little natural unsweetened cocoa and a Stevia packet. Also if you double the fluid and cooking time but use same amount of oats you get an even bigger bowl of oatmeal. Or maybe do a protein shake for breakfast that you can take with.
  • lilandra22
    Options
    A couple of hard-boiled eggs makes for a great, low-carb breakfast.
  • redpandapop
    redpandapop Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    whole wheat english muffin with little olive oil butter and honey or jam
    greek yogurt with granola (portable too)
    a bowl of cereal with a bit of peanut butter-added protein to keep your fuller longer
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I grab a Fage Greek yogurt from my fridge...preferably with blueberry or strawberry.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    P28 bagels are awesome! 28 grams of protein, and very filling.

A bit hard to find though... luckily our local Wegman's carries them.
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Atkins bars - the ones that have 15 grams of protein. VERY filling. I do not follow Adkins, or only eat their food - but those bars are great!
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I make my own fruit cups from time to time. Buy a honeydew melon and a cantaloupe, and red seedless grapes. Cut up the melons and distribute chunks and grapes into a couple different Tupperware containers and voila ~ breakfast for a couple of days.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    I actually eat that as a snack at work. I love hard boiled eggs! YUM:tongue:
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    2 eggs fried in PAM spray in a high fiber low carb wrap with a spread of either Wasabi Sauce or Spicy Jalapeno Cream Cheese takes less than 2 minutes to throw together. Very quick and easy...my go to's.
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I also do the hard-boiled eggs. You can boil up a dozen on the weekend and that way you will have them handy. They will last a week unpeeled in the fridge.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I make refrigerator overnight oats the night before. I make them in a small mason jar so if I must I can eat them in my car.

Base = 1/4 C rolled oats, 1/3 C Milk, 1/4 C Greek Yogurt & 1 Tb chia seeds. from there you can add 1/4 C of Banana & 1 Tb cocoa powder OR 1/4 C apple sauce & 1/2 tea cinnamon OR 1/4 C banana &1 Tb Peanut butter OR 1/4 C berries & 1/4 tea vanilla. you can also add 1tea of sweetener of choice to any of the above combos.

Very filling & and a fair amount protein! depending on your milk and yogurt of choice you can make them for as few as 130 calories ( mine are typically around 230 though ) add some toast and run. I love em!!

Are you going over on your carbs by the end of the day?
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I do a flax mug muffin that I make in my coffee mug after I've finished drinking from it. It's 1/4 cup Flax Meal, 1/2 tsp Baking Powder, 1/4 tsp Sugar, 1/2 tbsp Butter (plus some for spreading), and 1 Egg. Mix together and bake in the microwave for 1 minute. It's hot, doesn't make extra dishes, is high in fiber, and it hardly takes any time. I make a big batch of the dry ingredients and keep them in gallon container with a 1/2 cup measuring spoon. That way I can just grab 1/4 cup of the dry mix, an egg, and a bit of butter. Cuts down on time even more. I usually have it with my smoothie that's 1/2 cup berries, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup Kale, and 1 cup Almond Milk. I freeze the fruit and kale in individual bags in the freezer so that I can just grab a bag and blend it with some almond milk really quickly. It makes it thicker like ice cream that way too. I'll usually blend it up while the muffin is cooking. And it's one of those mini blenders where you can drink from the cup you blend it in. So again, clean up is easy. All in all I think it takes me about 5 minutes for everything.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If what I am having that week isn't something I can make in less than 10 minutes, I will make up a large batch of something (this week it is a butternut squash and apple hash with vegetarian sausage) and put it in storage tubs in the fridge. When I get up, I put it in a bowl and pop it into the microwave for a few minutes. Pretty much anything is possible with some planning.
  • ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Larabars are my go-to if I know I wake up late and don't have time to make anything. I love greek yogurt with granola or fruit. Recently, I've begun to blend things together in my nutribullet to make green smoothies - they are super easy to make the night before, put in a mug, and take the next morning!

Also, try whipping up some eggs, veggies, sausage, etc. Put them into muffin tins, and bake in the oven. Great to freeze or leave in the fridge for a quick breakfast!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    I make refrigerator overnight oats the night before. I make them in a small mason jar so if I must I can eat them in my car.

Base = 1/4 C rolled oats, 1/3 C Milk, 1/4 C Greek Yogurt & 1 Tb chia seeds. from there you can add 1/4 C of Banana & 1 Tb cocoa powder OR 1/4 C apple sauce & 1/2 tea cinnamon OR 1/4 C banana &1 Tb Peanut butter OR 1/4 C berries & 1/4 tea vanilla. you can also add 1tea of sweetener of choice to any of the above combos.

Very filling & and a fair amount protein! depending on your milk and yogurt of choice you can make them for as few as 130 calories ( mine are typically around 230 though ) add some toast and run. I love em!!

Are you going over on your carbs by the end of the day?

I am loving this idea. So how do you prepare this ahead of time?
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I try to keep hard-boiled eggs and fruit on hand so I can just grab one of each if I need to, but I usually eat my "breakfast" at lunch time so I eat a lot of random things. I like microwave oatmeal packets, but I don't really care about carbs or sugar. I've been known to eat a good-sized chunk of cheese and half an English muffin if I'm really desperate and don't have time to make something.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas! Awesome!
  • sunnyjunny
    Options
    i just saw a nutritionist and she told me that you can have 2 carbs and 1 protein in the morning. So this can be a slice of whole wheat bread (1 carb) with almond butter (protein) and 1/2 a banana (carb). its perfectly fine.
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    There are tons of recipes on Pintrest and other recipe websites for "muffin tin" recipes, that usually contain eggs/egg whites, any veggies that you like, additional proteins like sausage, ham, cheese, etc. You make them like mini-muffins, they are freezer-friendly and very portable. Usually just require a couple minutes in the microwave.
  • LIZLANZ
    Options
    I usually pore a cup of light milk, one banana and a whole raw egg in a blender and drik it before going to the gym.

That is enough in till I come back from the gym.... and than i have a good brkfast.