Ladies, when your aunt is visiting, how do you deal?

Options

Replies

• spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I find that even realizing that the craving is due to my period helps me to resist cravings. I know it will pass, even if it takes a day. Or, if I can fit in some chocolate, I do.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Give her bourbon and cigarettes

How about bourbon marshmallows? I have those.

4bbe338a-4c61-45cf-83f9-d1fc8822e6d1_zps2c929d4a.png
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    my only issues is every time I start exercising if I haven't done it in a while I get a "break through bleed" I was having a little read about this the other day to make sure it was normal. And I read that when you exercise your body craves more carbs to keep up which releases a certain chemical which starts your period. ............. I'm not sure where I'm going with this or if its even related to your question. I just thought I would add to the conversation
    Break through bleeding ANYTIME you change diet or exercise on the pill is common...it can also happen in times of extreme stress.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I always crave steak during my period, but that is because I tend to have a heavier flow...I think there may be a iron deficiency...

Anywho, when I crave steak, I eat steak, lots of giant, juicy, rare, bloody, rib eyes and cuts of prime rib, and porterhouses, and any other fatty, rare, delicious cut of beef that I can get my grubby little menstruating hands on. LOL! I balance it out with sides of salad and veggies...
    ^^^^^^ THIS! Minus the veggies and add sushi, miso soup and chocolate. Ohhh and a side of never ending tears...:sad: :devil:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Zip ties, plastic sheeting, duct tape, and a trunk

Reminds me of my first date! #nostalgia

Nothing like a good struggle snuggle
  • beachbum1984
    Options
    I make myself a cup of tea or coffee. If I still want a snack after, I can have one. But often I'm too lazy to go get a snack after spending a half hour making and drinking tea.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why grown women can't say period. It's baffling to me that we have to give it cutesy nicknames LOL.

That being said, I do eat more when I'm on my period. I don't over do it, but I will have chocolate or whatever I'm craving, otherwise I feel worse than I already do!
    women have always had euphemisms for their menstrual cycle. Perhaps societal pressures.
    (Period is also a euphemism, fwiw.)

Perhaps saying Im bleeding from in between my legs isnt as unpleasant then saying period?
    eh?
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I don't deny myself the comfort foods, but I don't go crazy with them either. It does become easier every month and I have noticed that my period is easier to deal with. Loads of water and don't stop working out. My cravings are usually burgers and greasy foods. The cravings have become less and less since I don't go over board every time I want a burger.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    Don't deny your comfort foods, just limit them,

I don't have cravings so I cannot relate that way.

Make sure you are getting enough iron, your body should crave that more since you are losing a lot of iron during your period.
    Also I also recommend taking birth control to help smooth out the hormone changes which is what is causing the cravings.
  • patols1
    patols1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I always have cravings before my period. I go buy a bag of chips take out a couple servings and give the rest to my son to eat or throw away. I HAVE to have it or I will continue to crave it for days. for me I just eat it and I know an extra serving or two of my cravings a month are not going to hurt me. so just eat what you are craving, log it , and get rid of the rest so there is no more temptation. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Don't deny your comfort foods, just limit them,

I don't have cravings so I cannot relate that way.

Make sure you are getting enough iron, your body should crave that more since you are losing a lot of iron during your period.
    Also I also recommend taking birth control to help smooth out the hormone changes which is what is causing the cravings.
    No. You don't lose a lot of iron. About 2 tablespoons of blood is lost during the average period. You're not going to become anemic from that, and you're not "losing" a lot of iron.
    And No. you don't need to take birth control to "smooth it out". That's big pharma talking.
  • trn4hungergames
    trn4hungergames Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! Some of these ladies are so lucky not to have the cravings!

Chocolate: I would suggest blending lowfat chocolate milk with a banana, ice, PB2 powder (if you like peanut butter), and a scoop of protein powder if you need it. It has calcium, vit D, potassium for cramping and that cold chocolate that's nearly as good as chocolate ice cream! Put plenty of ice in it and it helps you fill up.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I usually take the first day off because I get bad cramps, even though they say if you exercise it'll help with cramps. Then I get back on that wagon throughout the gory rest of it. :happy:
  • Kriistabell
    Kriistabell Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you are watching your calories---how do you stop yourself from eating chocolate or giving in to comfort foods while the aunt is in town? ;-) ***and its times 1000 when she's coming and toddlers live in your home...might as well just bathe in chocolate!

I am so good until a couple days before she arrives and I find myself wanting all things comfort--pasta, chips, sweets, salt---and then I feel awful for giving in and defeated :- / (not to mention that the bloat from it all doesn't help my appearance visually).

I eat bagels, crumb cake, drink tea with cream, and get fat :( I lost 13 pounds a while back and gained 7 back when she came. ITS SO HARD! It isn't her fault - its that my family buys all of these things to baby her when she comes so she will be happy and have delicious NYC food that she doesn't get while she's in Michigan for the rest of the year. To make it worse, her visits last for a month. Its really, seriously hard and I'm nervous for when she comes again because I am doing IIFYM. My plan is to make her egg white omlettes with laughing cow cheese, grape tomatoes, and spinach/onions to bring her over to "the dark side" because I know she'll get hooked on them since they're so good. I hope to be able to cook for her too and share my protein mug cakes! Haha. Good times. I miss bagels so much :sad:

Try to be strong girl, we are here cheering your on. :drinker:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Zip ties, plastic sheeting, duct tape, and a trunk

Reminds me of my first date! #nostalgia

Reminds me of my last date #bodyinthefreezer
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Menstruation?
    Lol, I've never heard of it called the aunt. Ignore my earlier post. :laugh:
  • Kriistabell
    Kriistabell Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm just laughing at how many people don't know that you're not talking about an actual aunt.

HAHAHA OMG. I responded to this last night when I was tired.. Just got on now when I woke up and realized how dumb I am. I can't stop laughing at myself wow :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I have a jar of natural peanut butter which I mixed unsweetened chocolate powder and coconut oil. 1 to 2 tablespoons usually do the trick.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Menstruation?
    Lol, I've never heard of it called the aunt. Ignore my earlier post. :laugh:
    Aunt "Flo"... the flow...
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I generally have 1 day a few days before when nothing satisfies me and I end up eating everything & anything I can get my hands on!

Then when it arrives I generally don't feel like eating, when it's gone all returns to normal......until the next time!