The Laundry Workout

Options

Replies

• Llamedos1960
    Options
    While I don't see myself doing this personally, I think the intention that the OP had was to get people who can't get out, get to a gym, etc. to think about everyday chores as a chance to exercise more. Kudos to that I say!

I agree. I have a problem finding time to exercise and can't afford gym membership. I want to do a bit of strength training so each time I take a toilet break at work I take a few extra minutes to do 10 wall pushups and 10 squats. If I take 5 such breaks in the day, that's 50 squats and 50 wall pushups I'm doing extra every day.

Some might scoff at this but building some sort of exercise into everyday activities is important for those of us who don't have the time or money for regular excursions to the gym.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    With as much laundry as I always have I'd be in shape in no time. But I'm not supposed to do squats. :'( I can do the rest though.
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    this thread is hilarious... lmao

Thank you guys for all the hilarious pictures
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! This thread is a riot!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • OatFloats
    OatFloats Posts: 119
    Options
    yeah, in for the hilarious...
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    While I don't see myself doing this personally, I think the intention that the OP had was to get people who can't get out, get to a gym, etc. to think about everyday chores as a chance to exercise more. Kudos to that I say!

Thank you very much. I am, honestly, taken aback by the rudeness I encountered. I thought these forums were for support and idea sharing , as we are all surely here for the same reasons, but it seems I was wrong. I won't be making any more helpful posts, that's for sure.

So much truth, in so few words.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options

Thank you very much. I am, honestly, taken aback by the rudeness I encountered. I thought these forums were for support and idea sharing , as we are all surely here for the same reasons, but it seems I was wrong. I won't be making any more helpful posts, that's for sure.

If I promise to do this for a week's worth of laundry, will you make me cookies?
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    lol are you being serious because that squat form is terrible. enjoy your muscle imbalance
    Actually... her squat form is fine.

Don't see why people hate on this, its a neat little way for busy people to get their exercise in. Would I ever do it? Probably not. Would I bash on people who do? No lol.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    OP---ignore the Jacque Asse's that want to mock and spurn. Haters hate.

There are literally millions of people ( men and women) who do not have the means to leave their house for a workout. And trying to find motivation when you are overweight>obese> morbidly obese? It sometimes takes every ounce of imagination to overcome. So coming up with something that moves the body with common household chores? Great!

Form: There is nothing wrong with the squat form. You don't have to go below parallel to work the muscles--especially when you first start out ( meaning have never performed squats before). Someone who is carrying 50+ lbs of bodyweight is already doing resistance work, add anything else? Increased resistance. Deep squats are also contraindicated in populations that have knee injuries or instabilities.

If you're 22 years old, and have a power rack and someone to correct your form? Then it's time to go for it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    lol are you being serious because that squat form is terrible. enjoy your muscle imbalance
    totally not deep enough

cats-should-do-laundry.gif forget the skwatz do the tricep dips slips.

This gif is too great to only be here once so...bump
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Okay...I confess...

I use the laundry facility at my apartment complex. If I have to wait on a load to finish...if no one else is there...and no one is outside looking in...

I have done pushups off the folding counter...squats...knee kicks...marching in place...stretches...

I promise...it is the truth...

Now I have more ideas to do instead of wasting my time standing there.

Thanks!

Oh...and if someone should happen to see me and think I have lost my mind...oh well...
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Lol that's a really good joke lol!

You mean you're serious? :huh:

Of course I'm serious. I have pictures and everything. Do those people not look serious to you?

How rude.

Not rude love...honest.
    The form with the squat is awful and if I'm going to workout, it'll be a proper workout without a laundry basket.

Come on...you don't REALLY think that's going to do much...do you? :flowerforyou:

The picture is just a picture to give an idea of what I'm talking about, hardly an endorsement of that particular woman's form. Its not squats are crazy new and special to such a degree that one can't bring up a thousand articles, videos, or diagrams for proper form.

So I suppose you also dismiss the usefulness of all body weight workouts? Anything that doesn't strike your fancy isnt worthwhile, is that it? You scoff at those who swear by You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning?

Giving your honest view hardly precludes you from rudeness, ftr.The two are very much able to go hand and hand. Maybe if you have nothing but negativity to offer you should keep on scrolling.

:laugh:

I have nothing against the two workouts you described..they are legitimate workouts.

Chill :laugh:
  • Annie_01
    Options
    OP---ignore the Jacque Asse's that want to mock and spurn. Haters hate.

There are literally millions of people ( men and women) who do not have the means to leave their house for a workout. And trying to find motivation when you are overweight>obese> morbidly obese? It sometimes takes every ounce of imagination to overcome. So coming up with something that moves the body with common household chores? Great!

Form: There is nothing wrong with the squat form. You don't have to go below parallel to work the muscles--especially when you first start out ( meaning have never performed squats before). Someone who is carrying 50+ lbs of bodyweight is already doing resistance work, add anything else? Increased resistance. Deep squats are also contraindicated in populations that have knee injuries or instabilities.

If you're 22 years old, and have a power rack and someone to correct your form? Then it's time to go for it.

I agree. When I do squats I only go as far down as I can without injuring my knees. I had to give up on lunges because they were causing too much pain.

At my age I look for exercises that will help me to continue to do daily activities such as picking up a basket of clothes...getting up and down out of a chair...walking a flight of steps...being able to walk up a hill.

These are the things that I find most important based on age and physical condition. Would I like to do more...of course...and I strive to be able to do more. Not however at the risk of being able to do the daily things.

I started out small...I am now doing things that a year ago I didn't think was possible.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Lol that's a really good joke lol!

You mean you're serious? :huh:

Of course I'm serious. I have pictures and everything. Do those people not look serious to you?

How rude.

Not rude love...honest.
    The form with the squat is awful and if I'm going to workout, it'll be a proper workout without a laundry basket.

Come on...you don't REALLY think that's going to do much...do you? :flowerforyou:

Depends on who is doing them.

There are many people...the elderly and obese...that could benefit from these types of activities.

It might not be much to those that are able to do vigorous exercises but there is a segment of our population that even these simple moves are difficult for.

As I said in another post...I started out small. I had difficulty even walking at a slow pace up a hill. I have worked my way up to a 15 minute mile and trying to knock some time off of that.

Actually...I am 61 and at 200lbs still classified as obese...I am much more active than some people half my age and at a healthy weight. I owe it to those simple things that I started with.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I agree. I have a problem finding time to exercise and can't afford gym membership. I want to do a bit of strength training so each time I take a toilet break at work I take a few extra minutes to do 10 wall pushups and 10 squats. If I take 5 such breaks in the day, that's 50 squats and 50 wall pushups I'm doing extra every day.

Some might scoff at this but building some sort of exercise into everyday activities is important for those of us who don't have the time or money for regular excursions to the gym.

stop trying to find time for it and it will work better.

MAKE time for it... the rest of us aren't "finding time" time is money right? you rarely FIND hundredsof dollars- you don't FIND time to go pick up your kids.

You make time for those things.

Same with working out- you MAKE time. Start making time and you'll realize there are hundreds of minutes wasted in a day that just need to be re-ogranized into "work out" minutes :D
  • Annie_01
    Options

stop trying to find time for it and it will work better.

MAKE time for it... the rest of us aren't "finding time" time is money right? you rarely FIND hundredsof dollars- you don't FIND time to go pick up your kids.

You make time for those things.

Same with working out- you MAKE time. Start making time and you'll realize there are hundreds of minutes wasted in a day that just need to be re-ogranized into "work out" minutes :D

First....I do agree...we are worth a little bit of our time each day to dedicate to our own well-being.

Having said that...I think she did make time...even if it was only during her bathroom breaks.

While I agree with you on one hand...I give her credit for taking a few minutes here and there to do what she feels she is able to do right now.

She reorganized her bathroom breaks...the way I see it.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Every body is arguing the wrong point here!

Obviously, if you put your children first, your number 1 priority, you wouldn't even be considering laundry squats, or any squats for that matter. Stop being selfish and vain. It's not about you! It's about your children. And children need out of shape mothers who spend their days on Facebook instead of the gym.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I actually like this idea. Makes housework a little interesting and you get a workout at the same time. Might do this sometimes while I'm pregnant.. Thanks

Once the baby is born, there is always the next logical step.
    ETA: Darn image is too big

4be72e7cbb0aff24947f6827e3530d7a.png

FIFY.
    And ETA: That baby sure looks like he's having a lot of fun! Just be careful handling such precious cargo.. Goodness, if anything were to happen to that little cutie!!!

These are worse than Body Pump squats :noway: