How Do You Detox Yourself?

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hate these threads. What exactly is a "detox" anyway? And how does one measure the efficacy of said detox? How does one measure the level of "toxins" (? arsenic? mercury? what?) in the first place? How does measure the level of toxins after the "detox"?

When I see "detox" I think of the radio ads for head shop drug detox products.

6ad90bc37a830ee13882cad4ecd7ca90c88b5911c3e9419b749d11d6146510b3.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know small steps like drinking more water, lemon water green tea, and saunas help. Anything to remove the puffiness and bloat.

This ^^ Eat foods high in potassium to help with water bloat.

Best detox diet is to stop eating so much junk and to sweat it out through exercise. Eat right and exercise.
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Lot of jokers with no advice responding.
    A few. Such as yourself.
    Is any of your advice (sic) based on proven science, or is it based on marketing and hippies trying to get more clicks to their website?

It is based on my own experience. Some responses weren't really getting to the heart of the posters question, which I believe was serious. If you've never been a binge drinker and binge eater the idea of detox may sound like a gimmick. To change a way of life, and eliminate the mess you've made of your body is to detox. Yes your liver and kidney's do the actual work. Your body will still need an assist and there are many way's to do that; traditional Chinese medicine, clean eating, liquid fasting. Some people need tools, and Dr. Weil is a great source for person who's been on the typical American diet who aren't interested in all that weird stuff. His books can be found in the library at no cost, and he is just one of many sources of information that are helpful to someone who is making a life change.

So, like my momma used to say, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    A few. Such as yourself.
    Is any of your advice (sic) based on proven science, or is it based on marketing and hippies trying to get more clicks to their website?

It is based on my own experience. Some responses weren't really getting to the heart of the posters question, which I believe was serious. If you've never been a binge drinker and binge eater the idea of detox may sound like a gimmick. To change a way of life, and eliminate the mess you've made of your body is to detox. Yes your liver and kidney's do the actual work. Your body will still need an assist and there are many way's to do that; traditional Chinese medicine, clean eating, liquid fasting. Some people need tools, and Dr. Weil is a great source for person who's been on the typical American diet who aren't interested in all that weird stuff. His books can be found in the library at no cost, and he is just one of many sources of information that are helpful to someone who is making a life change.

So, like my momma used to say, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.

giphy.gif
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    A few. Such as yourself.

Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather point out outright intellectual fraud when I see it. If you want to torture yourself then be my guest but don't go around selling that crap to others.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you've never been a binge drinker and binge eater the idea of detox may sound like a gimmick.

Or if you have, you may still think it's a gimmick.

"Alternative medicine that works is called 'medicine'."

Your body does not need 'help' by eating clean (sic) foods and such like; a normal healthy life style.

It may be a nice bit of placebo or a nice pyscological trick to keep you on the right path - "well, I've detoxed now, so better stop eating fox gloves" - but it's not going to do anything particularly special over.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    What everyone else in this thread and many many other threads have said - LIVER AND KIDNEYS. If you're feeling bloated because you've been eating too much crap well you're just going to have to pay your dues. There is no 'detox' or 'jump start'. If you're serious...eat healthy foods, healthy calorie intake, drink water, exercise and be consistent with these healthy habits.....the bloat will go away eventually.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    A few. Such as yourself.

We will not be silent in the face of BAD, wrong, misleading, inaccurate or dangerous advice. Sorry 'bout that.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    When I want to seriously detox, I head to White Castle and order lots of sliders, by morning the detox has begun! Works every time!

Thanx. Now I want a slider!

Isn't a slider just a very small hamburger?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    You have been eating food, not bug spray. You have nothing to 'detox' from.

yes pretty much just this...
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I've been overindulging in fatty foods and alcohol big time and put of significant weight. I have a lot of toxins in my body and I'm looking to detox, begin a daily exercise regimine and eat foods to aid in this process. I know small steps like drinking more water, lemon water green tea, and saunas help. Anything to remove the puffiness and bloat.

For starters eliminate all sodas and start drinking only water and some tea, and plenty of it.
    Your organism will do the rest.

I so read orgasm...*giglesnort
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    When I want to seriously detox, I head to White Castle and order lots of sliders, by morning the detox has begun! Works every time!

chbhmb-combo_11152265.jpg

BLASPHEMY!!! :laugh:

The real-deal slider, al a White Castle, is much more (delicious) than simply a small hamburger.
    A REAL slider is a thin (<1/2 inch) x approx. 2.5 inch wedge of "beef" that is steam-fried with finely chopped onions to perfection,
    Slider patties have 4 holes in them to let all the magic permeate throughout. Then they're gingerly (and lovingly... I taste the love, I swear) placed on a bun that is more like a brown and serve roll than an actual bun.

I think the "cleanse" issue that it causes is from an over-abundance of delicious love.
    Or it could be the grilled onions.
    Or not.
    But maybe.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    A few. Such as yourself.

It is unsafe and irresponsible to post incorrect and unscientific information such as you have been doing. As a member of this community, I pride myself on making sure my advice is backed by scientific study. REAL information. Not some mumbo jumbo that someone made up to make some money.
  • SexyMorgan123
    Options
    Keytones-4c-web.jpg
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

chbhmb-combo_11152265.jpg

BLASPHEMY!!! :laugh:

The real-deal slider, al a White Castle, is much more (delicious) than simply a small hamburger.
    A REAL slider is a thin (<1/2 inch) x approx. 2.5 inch wedge of "beef" that is steam-fried with finely chopped onions to perfection,
    Slider patties have 4 holes in them to let all the magic permeate throughout. Then they're gingerly (and lovingly... I taste the love, I swear) placed on a bun that is more like a brown and serve roll than an actual bun.

I think the "cleanse" issue that it causes is from an over-abundance of delicious love.
    Or it could be the grilled onions.
    Or not.
    But maybe.

In, for magical burgers made with love, that cleanse. It sounds heavenly.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I overdid it during the holidays and felt awful. After a week of strict dieting, with lots of water, tea and fresh veggies, the bloat went away. (I still drink a glass of wine daily too!)
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Do you have a liver, kidneys and colon? They work.
    Failing that, try sugar-free gummi bears - http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummy-Candy-Sugarless-5-Pound/dp/B000EVQWKC
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    :grumble:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I use the AdvoCare Herbal Cleanse every three months to detox.
    Which is money you don't need to spend since detoxing with supplements hasn't been clinically shown to work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition