How Do You Detox Yourself?

Options
123457»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,693 Member
    Options
    Lot of jokers with no advice responding.
    Actually advice was spot on. One doesn't need to detox.
    My advice is get Dr. Weil's 8 Weeks to Optimal Health. As someone who has done a detox on the heels of going on the wagon, I can tell you the first week you will feel terrible while your liver and kidneys wash the toxins out and then you will start to feel wonderful. Start with putting more green vegetables and water in your diet. Then start eliminating the flour based foods. Cut back on red meat and stick to lean clean proteins like chicken, fish, and plant based proteins (spinach, not soy). Go as organic as you can afford to.
    Lol, wash the toxins? You've bought into a sales gimmick.
    Get all the booze and crap food out of the house, and stay away from your toxic friends. Dive into the reading about optimal health and wellness, maybe get in some time at a health club.

Celebrate with a massage, and start loving yourself. May the FORCE be with you.
    If they read actual journals of medicine and science, they'd get back with their "toxic" friends.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    1. Eliminate the following from your diet: alcohol, refined sugars, wheat/gluten-containing grains, dairy, any processed foods. These are the foods most commonly known to trigger food allergies, which can leave you feeling puffy. Do this for three weeks.

BY ELIMINATING GRAINS, ALCOHOL AND SUGARS, YOU GIVE YOUR LIVER A "BREAK" SO IT CAN FOCUS ON DETOXING YOUR BODY AND REPAIR ITSELF.

2. Drink only water, green tea and ginger herbal tea: no coffee, diet sodas, anything like that. Make sure you drink filtered or mineral water.

3. This may seem counter-intuitive, but eat more protein. Just stick to wild fish, chicken breasts, and other lean sources.

If you want to learn more check out Dr. Alejandro Junger's book: "Clean"
    The body repairs itself just fine. The liver doesn't need a break since it works 24/7. Eating better just supplies more nutrients to the body which helps to make it run more efficiently.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I think everyone has their right to their own opinion.

Do you seriously think that, for example, eating 1,200 calories of unprocessed, clean natural foods is just the same as eating 1,200 calories of low fat cereal bars and other processed junk? Countless studies have proven that the body digests natural foods better, and that fewer calories are extracted from lean proteins than from carbs and sugars.

A calorie is NOT a calorie! Join the 21st century.
    A calorie is a calorie by energy measurement standards. Will agree that nutritional value is higher in whole foods, but one doesn't need to eat "clean" to lose weight and be healthy. And that's not opinion, it's actually backed by science.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

So, like my momma used to say, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.
    Should have listened to your momma. They gave advice. You just thought it was bad advice.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i make the mistake of eating too much sugar free chocolate...

...oh gawd the pain i was in...
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I just drink crap loads of water and hope it helps.
  • advomom88
    Options
    I use a cleanse from advocare every 90 days im down 62 pounds
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    When I"m "detoxing" after a heavy night of drinking, I sip water until I'm no longer nauseous, then I have 3-4 cheeseburger sliders, potato wedges, a large fountain Coke and then I top it all off with a light beer in the shower.

Other than that, my liver, kidneys, and intestines are doing a fabulous job on their own. Save your money! Detoxes/cleanses are nonsense.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I absolutely, 100%, believe and agree that a "detox" in the sense of supplements and/or long-term ultra restrictive diets designed to "remove toxins" from one's body is nonsense at best and dangerous at worst. HOWEVER, I can totally buy into anything (within reason) that helps a person feel like they're getting a fresh start and sends them down a path of meeting their goals. Especially after you've been boozing and eating a bunch of junk for awhile, and you get to a point where you just feel sluggish and blah, and you want to snap yourself out of it. I absolutely believe there's value for some people in taking a day or two, maybe three tops, and going raw vegan or juicing or whatever it is you like that's not your norm, drinking a butt ton of water, clearing out as much of the bloat and water weight and constipation as possible, and then hopping back onto the moderation train. If it gives you some energy and refocuses you mentally, what's the harm? Now, if we're talking about pills and special drinks and stuff....nah :noway:. But I suspect that for about half of the people that come onto MFP and ask about a "detox," they're really referring to something more like what I described.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

First post from someone with no profile, account created in March 2013, but no progress toward the 95 pound loss goal. I suspect a bot, especially since "advomom88" is advocating advocare.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My liver and kidneys do an awesome job of detoxing me.
    ^^^^^
    This!

Unless you have compromised organs, the body does a great job of detoxifying itself.

If you insist on a detox, you could try these. Based on the comments they will clean you right out.

http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummy-Candy-Sugarless-5-Pound/dp/B000EVQWKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390155773&sr=8-1&keywords=sugar+free+gummy+bears
    I know this was quite a ways back, but these gummi bears work wonders, apparently.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

First post from someone with no profile, account created in March 2013, but no progress toward the 95 pound loss goal. I suspect a bot, especially since "advomom88" is advocating advocare.

Ya, I thought it was a pretty amusing first post from, "advomom88". She's a real sleeper.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Darn! Dr oz had a show all about this today but I didn't tape it. He said that different body types need different types of detoxes. He actually made it so complicated I just couldn't keep up or understand what was going on. So I just turned off the Telly and had a glass of wine to cope.
  • yogagirl100
    yogagirl100 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do yoga and drink loads of water. You don't need loads of supplements, your body is built to detox itself as long as you're not ill and as long as you look after it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    taking a dump and a piss works wonders for me …

drinking water helps too …

that as about all you need...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    A few. Such as yourself.
    Is any of your advice (sic) based on proven science, or is it based on marketing and hippies trying to get more clicks to their website?

It is based on my own experience. Some responses weren't really getting to the heart of the posters question, which I believe was serious. If you've never been a binge drinker and binge eater the idea of detox may sound like a gimmick. To change a way of life, and eliminate the mess you've made of your body is to detox. Yes your liver and kidney's do the actual work. Your body will still need an assist and there are many way's to do that; traditional Chinese medicine, clean eating, liquid fasting. Some people need tools, and Dr. Weil is a great source for person who's been on the typical American diet who aren't interested in all that weird stuff. His books can be found in the library at no cost, and he is just one of many sources of information that are helpful to someone who is making a life change.

So, like my momma used to say, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.

screw Chinese medicine, I just go to Number 1 Chinese and get a number 2, cleans me right out!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Breathing out, peeing and pooping.