Eat before a workout?

Options
I normally wake up and then do my work out then grab something to eat after a shower, is that right or should I be eating before my work out?

Replies

• BrittneyJ2006
    BrittneyJ2006 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You should eat within 30-60 minutes before and after. Combing a protein source with a carbohydrate source.
  • DonaldChadDavis
    DonaldChadDavis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have to eat about an hour before for energy.

1 cup eggwhites
    1 tbsp. pb
    1 banana
    1 piece of bread

This is usually my breakfast. I have a protein smoothie as a post.

I've heard of people working out having fasted for more than 12 hrs. I can't do it, though.
  • wide2bride
    Options
    You totally posted this at just the right time because I just got done with a nutrition class on pre and post workout fuel.

The gist of the whole thing is that if you aren't fueling (and with the proper things) before and after workouts (ANNNND in a correct tie frame) then your workout is considered a bust.

pre and post workout nutrition is apparently EXTREMELY important and I myself witnessed the help the proper foods/timing provides to my own workouts tonight.

Since you are working out in the early morning like I usually do, you will want to eat something lower in fiber and quickly processed about 30 minutes before your workout. I.e. 1/2 a banana or 1/2 scoop protein in water.

post workout your window to replenish your glycogen is about 30-45 minutes and some top choices here would be 2 rice cakes, 4 oz sweet potato or 1/2 an apple.

Of course these are not your meals, but simply fuel. Today was my first day following this 100% and OMG did it make a HUGE difference in my workout. Hope it works well for you too :)
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Strange days...

If you find you can't perform while working out then eat prior, otherwise you don't need too. It's 100% personal preference/performance.

This optimum window stuff is just really goofy. You basically have a 4 hour window on either side to eat, so if you eat like a normal person, you don't have to worry about timing.
  • wide2bride
    Options
    Strange days...

If you find you can't perform while working out then eat prior, otherwise you don't need too. It's 100% personal preference/performance.

This optimum window stuff is just really goofy. You basically have a 4 hour window on either side to eat, so if you eat like a normal person, you don't have to worry about timing.

reliable references on this information???
  • sharebear2012
    sharebear2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I normally wake up and then do my work out then grab something to eat after a shower, is that right or should I be eating before my work out?

I mostly exercise in the morning too. I have no appetite first thing in the morning (need to be up an hour at least) to eat prior to going for a run or work out in the morning and I just don't believe in forcing myself to eat. I always eat as soon as I get home from the exercise and I am sure to have protien and carbs. The only time I have something before a morning work out is when I am training for a half marathon and my workout will be longer than one hour. I have sufficient energy to do an hour work out without taking in nutrition prior but more than an hour does not work. Several people here have said here you must eat before but I do think you need to consider how you feel. I have been running mornings my whole life and this has always worked for me.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/meal-frequency-and-mass-gains.html

http://www.leangains.com/2009/12/fasted-training-boosts-muscle-growth.html

Erskine et al. “Whey protein does not enhance the adaptations to elbow flexor resistance training.” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise (2012), 44(9), 1791-1800.
  • indignantgnome
    indignantgnome Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Strange days...

A really quick Google search turns up this, from Discovery Health:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/healthy-eating/pre-and-post-exercise-eating-tips.htm

It's absolutely personal preference and performance. I can't eat before working out, because otherwise I get terrible acid reflux and end up vomiting.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Strange days...

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
  • janglo
    janglo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    what about adding a protein pre and / or post ?
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Eating before working out makes me want to hurl.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Strange days...

Fantastic article - thank you!

I thought the most interesting paragraph was the one below - mentioning the protein/carb combo another commenter noted. Also, while the authors evaluated the evidence for impact on BOTH body composition and muscle mass/gain, they seemed to conclude that only rate of muscle mass gains are significantly (mathematically) affected. And at that - not in an earth-shattering way.

It appears to be something you might want to do if you really need every advantage, but (as I read it) not significant enough to turn your routine upside down for, if it's gonna throw off your groove. It certainly didn't support another commenter's assertion that timing can invalidate the workout altogether.

"evidence-based support for such an “anabolic window of opportunity” is far from definitive. The hypothesis is based largely on the pre-supposition that training is carried out in a fasted state. During fasted exercise, a concomitant increase in muscle protein breakdown causes the pre-exercise net negative amino acid balance to persist in the post-exercise period despite training-induced increases in muscle protein synthesis [36]. Thus, in the case of resistance training after an overnight fast, it would make sense to provide immediate nutritional intervention--ideally in the form of a combination of protein and carbohydrate--for the purposes of promoting muscle protein synthesis and reducing proteolysis, thereby switching a net catabolic state into an anabolic one. Over a chronic period, this tactic could conceivably lead cumulatively to an increased rate of gains in muscle mass. "
  • Pete0725
    Pete0725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As another poster said, I cannot eat before working out or I will vomit.
  • ZeKiplinatell
    Options
    You totally posted this at just the right time because I just got done with a nutrition class on pre and post workout fuel.

The gist of the whole thing is that if you aren't fueling (and with the proper things) before and after workouts (ANNNND in a correct tie frame) then your workout is considered a bust.

pre and post workout nutrition is apparently EXTREMELY important and I myself witnessed the help the proper foods/timing provides to my own workouts tonight.

Since you are working out in the early morning like I usually do, you will want to eat something lower in fiber and quickly processed about 30 minutes before your workout. I.e. 1/2 a banana or 1/2 scoop protein in water.

post workout your window to replenish your glycogen is about 30-45 minutes and some top choices here would be 2 rice cakes, 4 oz sweet potato or 1/2 an apple.

Of course these are not your meals, but simply fuel. Today was my first day following this 100% and OMG did it make a HUGE difference in my workout. Hope it works well for you too :)

Pretty much how that is stated. Depending on how well your stomach handles food however, the pre-workout protein intake should be given a larger window than the simpler carb. I do protein and complex carb 1hr to 1.5hrs pre workout, and if I feel that may not be enough, I'll eat 1/2 or whole banana (simple carb) about 30 minutes beforehand.

Post is spot on with the carbs for replenishing glycogen stores, however it should also include protein as well. If you consume enough simple carbs, it should spike the insulin and actually help carry the protein for a much faster/better recovery.

Just some things I've learned and go by... someone by all means correct me if I am wrong.
  • BodyFreak
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with working out fasted. I do it all the time and my strength has always been the same with or without food. I usually workout at around 7-8am but if i wake up any later I usually try to take in a meal before hand just so i can get all my meals in throughout the day but personally i love working out fasted
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I believe in listening to your own body. I cannot eat before I work out first thing in the morning. I have coffee and bring a water and eat after. In the evening I eat a regular dinner about an hour and a half before I work out unless it is running, then I eat lighter. Either way I have to eat something before I work out in the evening or I feel weak and yucky.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Pretty much how that is stated. Depending on how well your stomach handles food however, the pre-workout protein intake should be given a larger window than the simpler carb. I do protein and complex carb 1hr to 1.5hrs pre workout, and if I feel that may not be enough, I'll eat 1/2 or whole banana (simple carb) about 30 minutes beforehand.

Post is spot on with the carbs for replenishing glycogen stores, however it should also include protein as well. If you consume enough simple carbs, it should spike the insulin and actually help carry the protein for a much faster/better recovery.

Just some things I've learned and go by... someone by all means correct me if I am wrong.

You should read the review I posted above.

Carbs aren't needed immediately post workout for glycogen resynthesis unless you are:

a) Depleting glycogen
    and
    b) In need of rapid glycogen repletion

If you do not meet both of the above conditions, then your regular meal schedule will replete glycogen before you need it again at the next training bout. Since most recreational athletes and gym goers do not perform multiple intra-day glycogen depleting events, they do not need to shuttle in carbs immediately for repletion.

Regarding insulin for increasing protein synthesis, there's some research showing that if ample protein is consumed, additional carbohydrate does not increase muscle protein balance.

• manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before otherwise I can't make it through my session.

When training in the morning, I have 1/2 a protein bar before training and the oher half after. Or a protein shake with 1/2 banana. Oh and a good pre workout :)
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options

sounds like broscience and placebo