Is 1500 Calories too much?

Options
124»

Replies

• chelljo12
    chelljo12 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I calculated my TDEE with a 20% cut and it gave me 1620 to eat. My question would be do I eat back my exercise calories using this method meaning I would have to NET 1620 for the day or just eat the 1620, workout and not worry about the exercise calories.

Please help!

Thanks
    Michelle
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I calculated my TDEE with a 20% cut and it gave me 1620 to eat. My question would be do I eat back my exercise calories using this method meaning I would have to NET 1620 for the day or just eat the 1620, workout and not worry about the exercise calories.

Please help!

Thanks
    Michelle

The TDEE method already accounts for your exercise. For example, to get that 1620, you entered in that you exercise so many times a week. This is the number of calories you need to consume daily, considering you exercise as much as you said you would. Now if you slack and do not exercise those days you said you would, or exercise more, then your daily total may need to fluctuate to count for that.
  • chelljo12
    Options
    I actually put in little to no exercise. So would I eat back the calories??
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It's not enough.
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I actually put in little to no exercise. So would I eat back the calories??

Yeah if that is the case, then you should be eating back your calories and your net goal should be 1620.
  • ashleydhill777
    ashleydhill777 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm losing about 2lbs a week. My 1500 is pretty honest. And I am watching my sodium and sugar content very closely. I am working out too, so if I need a few extra I just dip (very little) into my exercise calories. I am trying so hard to keep up my 2 lb loss/week!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'm losing about 2lbs a week. My 1500 is pretty honest. And I am watching my sodium and sugar content very closely. I am working out too, so if I need a few extra I just dip (very little) into my exercise calories. I am trying so hard to keep up my 2 lb loss/week!

Sounds like you're rocking it so far. :smile: If you find yourself going hungry or you aren't happy with some aspect of your weight loss plan, don't hesitate to re-evaluate things (calories, macros, etc.). You're way better off making adjustments than just suffering through it for a while and then giving up.
  • Bettyanne77
    Options
    I think that 1500 is probably about the minimum you should eat I know the offical guide is 1200 but I just don't think you can get enough good nutrition in your body for that amount. It is better to exercise every day if you can and then eat back at least some of the calories you burn from your workouts.
  • ashleydhill777
    Options
    Bump
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

If you are losing 2 pounds a week, then you are doing awesome! Keep it up, and don't stress. Be patient! Losing too much too soon will mean muscle loss and loose skin. Just keep doing what you're doing! :flowerforyou:
  • chelljo12
    Options
    Thanks Jack....it just seems like so much to eat..lol
  • ashleydhill777
    Options
    How do you determine the number of calories you should be eating to lose weight? I've been using 1500, but I've been wondering if that's too much. I am currently 258, 5'2", age 33.

It's too vague a question. If you coordinate with your doctor, at your weight, you could eat literally nothing but vitamin supplements for six months and be fine health wise while losing a ton of weight. Conversely, at 1500 calories/day, you could lose weight more slowly, but in a (presumably) more comfortable way.

Here's the thing, though. At your weight and height, you are somewhere around 60%-65% body fat. So your BMR is only going to be around 1200 calories/day. Which means at 1500 calories/day, you will be running quite a small deficit. Meaning your weight loss will be quite slow.

Mr. Knight, I just redid my MFP profile, and its saying 1930 should be my calorie count. Doesn't that seem high? Or will more calories help you burn faster?