Okay...big shoulders...

Options

Replies

• FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    People should not take offense so easily. Some people think muscles are gross just like some people think fat is gross.

Yes, but what is normal (and by extension abnormal)?

In my opinion both fat and muscles are normal.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    My shoulders have gotten broader since heavy lifting. But my waist has narrowed, my butt has firmed and rounded, my legs and arms are more defined. And really, I was never going to fit into a small shirt due to height and boob size, so I'm ok with broader shoulders, given the rest.

Thank you for your response. I was in an extra small and small shirt, I'd like to get back there. Or as close too.

That's your takeaway? No lifting because you won't get back into an extra small shirt? Honestly, which is better, small shirt or small bikini? Personally, I'm going with bikini. Thank you lifting.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Close your eyes and picture a woman with shrunk up narrow shoulders. Not a pretty picture. I thought like you a few years ago but I love my shoulders. They are not "broad" and they do not look like a man's. They look healthy. I got them using weights.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    The people on here are right--it's genetic.

I don't lift. I have huge shoulders as it is. When I do lift, even 5-10 lb weights, they get even bigger and in a hurry.

Mother Nature didn't have a petite frame in mind for me, unfortunately. I'm 5'8" and according to every measuring method I've used, I'm well over the threshold for the "large" bone structure.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    My shoulders have gotten broader since heavy lifting. But my waist has narrowed, my butt has firmed and rounded, my legs and arms are more defined. And really, I was never going to fit into a small shirt due to height and boob size, so I'm ok with broader shoulders, given the rest.

Thank you for your response. I was in an extra small and small shirt, I'd like to get back there. Or as close too.

That's your takeaway? No lifting because you won't get back into an extra small shirt? Honestly, which is better, small shirt or small bikini? Personally, I'm going with bikini. Thank you lifting.

Amen!
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

(:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    The people on here are right--it's genetic.

I don't lift. I have huge shoulders as it is. When I do lift, even 5-10 lb weights, they get even bigger and in a hurry.

Mother Nature didn't have a petite frame in mind for me, unfortunately. I'm 5'8" and according to every measuring method I've used, I'm well over the threshold for the "large" bone structure.

I don't think anyone here said this. You cannot gain muscles without trying... Let's repeat that again.... YOU cannot gain muscles without trying.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    People should not take offense so easily. Some people think muscles are gross just like some people think fat is gross.

You're right. Let me go start a thread about how I want to lose weight because normal people think fat people are gross and lazy. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Well the survey I was involved in came from over 50,000 people...then when you use that study, and do the math on the rest of the United States, population, generalize it, they came up with the majority feel that way about body types.

My study was when I was in college, 100 people were involved. It wasn't an "online thing" my life goes past that! I'm not in college any longer. So yea, good luck with yourself! Lol

So 50,000 people or 100, which is it?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy weights. I have very small shoulders.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    She is just voicing her opinion. In her opinion she doesn't want to look muscular. That's fine. Some women are like that. My mom is too. I'm sure she means no offense to others who want to look that way. She just wants a different type of shape. Lay off peeps. :grumble:

So she can voice her opinion that muscular women are unattractive, men who find them attractive are not "normal" and that lifting 5 pound dumb bells is going to make her shoulders massive, but we cannot tell her our opinion of her opinion?

Got it.

sw77ls.gif

mmmmm, Idris Elba. :love:

BTW I have broad shoulders, always have, don't know where they came from. I used to compete in triathlons, so I swam a lot or maybe I was just born with them. Does make buying suits difficults, my jackets can be a size or 2 bigger than my pants. What I have noticed since I started seriously lifting, is that they've toned out, I have this lovely V-shape that make my waist look smaller and when I wear form fitting tops...I look HAWT!!!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    IN for entertainment :glasses:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    It's a classic misconception that you have.....a false notion. Do you want to have a better metabolism, better fitness, pleasing shape? LIFT! I think you will be pleasantly surprised by what lifting will do for your body!
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    Just... never mind. LOL
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Not worth the strike!

QFT!

I don't have one yet want me to do it.???

Listen OP 5lb weights will not give you big shoulders you will be lucky if you do anything with those.

As for what is found attractive...please...I lift heavy...I can squat my bw, and DL over my bw and I don't weigh 120...I weigh 165.

Woman who lift are attractive and lots of men find us attractive...why well a pic is worth a million words in this case.

why-women-should-lift-copy_zps2082f0e1.jpg

ETA I actually do have broad shoulders for a woman(appx 17inches across my back)...and since lifting I have gone from an XL shirt to a med..figure that one out...
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options

I lift heavy weight 3x a week, and have been for 9 months, and wear a size small shirt. For reference I am 5"10' and 150Lbs in a small and will possibly get down to an extra small once I hit goal.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Okay... you were being rude...

But I'll give you a serious response nonetheless. You want to wear an extra small shirt? Let your upper body atrophy. Don't pick up your kids. Don't play with them or carry groceries or do any of the things that a busy mom has to do to get through her day and raise her family. You're not a china doll, so you can't expect to look like one. You have stuff to get done, and your body needs a certain amount of muscle to get that done. Isn't that more important than what you look like?
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    sw77ls.gif
    [/quote]

mmmmm, Idris Elba. :love:

BTW I have broad shoulders, always have, don't know where they came from. I used to compete in triathlons, so I swam a lot or maybe I was just born with them. Does make buying suits difficult, my jackets can be a size or 2 bigger than my pants. What I have noticed since I started seriously lifting, is that they've toned out, I have this lovely V-shape that make my waist look smaller and when I wear form fitting tops...I look HAWT!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    She is just voicing her opinion. In her opinion she doesn't want to look muscular. That's fine. Some women are like that. My mom is too. I'm sure she means no offense to others who want to look that way. She just wants a different type of shape. Lay off peeps. :grumble:

So she can voice her opinion that muscular women are unattractive, men who find them attractive are not "normal" and that lifting 5 pound dumb bells is going to make her shoulders massive, but we cannot tell her our opinion of her opinion?

Got it.

sw77ls.gif

It just seems like she's being ganged up on. :cry:

It only seems that way because the majority of the people replying don't agree with her. She stated an opinion, which she's entitled to, but she stated it in a way that made it sound like she speaks for the majority. Which you can see from the responses she does not. I get what she was trying to say, she just could have been more tactful about it. Then we wouldn't feel the need to defend ourselves. :-)

Well the survey I was involved in came from over 50,000 people...then when you use that study, and do the math on the rest of the United States, population, generalize it, they came up with the majority feel that way about body types. I don't really care what other peoples body types are or how there husbands or finances feel. I'm saying MY HUSBAND likes my Body to be smaller on top. Hence my worry about over time, after I move from the 5 to the 8 to the 10 lb weights, that my shoulder muscles would strengthen and give my shoulders a broader look. God forbid I ask a question on a forum FOR THAT REASON and people just answer it without being rude. Anyways, I don't care, does my response appear as so, possibly, however I just was informed my post blew up so I came back to just speak my peace.

What is your husband's opinion of your writing skills? Or your general attitude toward others? Or your laundry basket carrying abilities? Just wondering since husbands' opinions seem to the be all/end all in this thread.

BTW your question wasn't rude. It was the putting down of other people that was rude. For instance you might have simply said "I lift 3-5 lbs weights and have a hard time doing so. If I'm fatiguing my mucles with these does that mean I might put on muscle mass and end up with shoulders larger than I currently have?" <===that would have been a question devoid of value judgements or generalizations or validation for your body type above those of others.

For one, my husband HATES ALL PEAR SHAPED women and thinks they should stay home and do laundry all day no MATTER HOW HARD IS IS FOR THEM TO CARRY those baskets with their weak arms. He prefers my hourglass figure and strong arms and takes me on all the outings and to all the fun places and fancy dinners and SNEERS AND SCOFFS and shows general disgust towards ALL PEAR SHAPED women so that they may know their place in the hierarchy of his taste and that of the male hive mind.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Also I don't care what "most" men or "most" women find attractive. All I care about is what makes me healthy and happy myself. Everything else is somebody else's problem. Others' personal preferences make for crappy evidence for an argument, as far as I'm concerned, unless what we're arguing about is people's personal preferences.
This discussion has been closed.