Serious bone to pick (Diet Fads)

Options
123457»

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Also, you don't NEED carbs in the diet, your body functions fine without them, it's just that it'll negatively effect your work capacity in the gym, and I personally like low-carb diets since I feel more full on them.

Um, actually you do. Your brain and nervous system needs the supply of glucose from the carbs in order to survive. Carbs aren't always in the form of bread and pasta like people think of when they hear the word. They're in fruits and vegetables too.

There is no biological need for carbs in the human diet.
  • nadunk
    nadunk Posts: 7
    Options
    Thoughts??

I would like any advice on dieting.

I am a 22yr old female. 5'10", 137 lbs. I am trying to build muscle and most importantly reduce body fat. I have had my calorie goal at 1240 a day, but now realizing that may be too low and impacting my progress. I work out about 5 days a week with a good mix of cardio, weights, and body weighted exercises. My BMR is calculated in about 1460. Considering this information, would a 1400 calorie goal be more appropriate? I try to keep carbs under 100g and protein as close to 100g as I can get it. I consider my diet well rounded with lots of vegetables, lean meats, and good fats. Any advice or suggestions are very appreciated!
  • scorpiana89
    scorpiana89 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I thought OP was on point until #6, which I blew off because I know meal timing doesn't matter, then #8 popped up and I'm trying to understand how water boosts metabolism. and will make me feel fuller (it just makes me not thirsty and need to pee).

Now I'm just in for gifs.

I think the gist of it is water keeps the body's motor or metabolism running, as we all know water is an essential element of life. And for some, though probably not all, drinking water before or after a meal helps to decrease the appetite.
  • scorpiana89
    scorpiana89 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Also, you don't NEED carbs in the diet, your body functions fine without them, it's just that it'll negatively effect your work capacity in the gym, and I personally like low-carb diets since I feel more full on them.

Um, actually you do. Your brain and nervous system needs the supply of glucose from the carbs in order to survive. Carbs aren't always in the form of bread and pasta like people think of when they hear the word. They're in fruits and vegetables too.

Not what I learned in Biology!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

You are absolutely wrong. Although not MANY are needed, they are needed for brain function and cannot be synthesized for this purpose by the body.

For the love of god... Really?
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Carbs are your number one fuel source for brain activity. Please reference an anp book.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

You are absolutely wrong. Although not MANY are needed, they are needed for brain function and cannot be synthesized for this purpose by the body.

You wrote what I was thinking...thank you.
  • KyaniBody
    Options
    I agree there is more then one way to do something. Do what YOU want to do. If this isn't for you then move on. This post is to wake people up and make them think. If you don't want to eat carbs then don't. I will enjoy carbs still and get extremely lean doing so. People need to realize it's about enjoying life and everything in moderation.

To the water point. Here are a few points I will copy and paste. You can chase them down if you wish.
    Drinking cold water may increase your metabolic rate, according to a study in the December 2003 issue of "The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism." A small part of this increase is attributed to the fact that your body works to heat the fluid to your core temperature. Researchers at the University of Utah discovered that subjects who drank eight to 12 full glasses of water daily had higher metabolic rates than those who drank only four glasses. So throw an ice cube in your water and enjoy an extra metabolism boost.

Also for me and a lot of people in my circle water helps you stay fuller feeling. Maybe this doesn't apply to you. It helps me and others for sure. Plus let's be honest. Boosting metabolism/feeling full or not your body needs water...

Once again people chiming in with negative attitudes as in this approach won't work for you. Maybe this isn't your cup of tea? But at the same time I am reading between the lines and feeling a lot of excuses coming through. Oh no this couldn't possibly work for me. Nothing can work for me, I have tried everything...

Anyway take it for what it's worth. IIFYM is proven to work time and time again.

To the people saying you don't want to look like me, that is fine. I never said you wanted to look like me. Look how you want to look. We all have different goals.

Happy lifestyle changes!
  • KyaniBody
    Options
    I don't understand your point. We both agree on #6 then..... I also agree meal timing doesn't matter.... I was saying the leaner you get and the longer you diet your metabolism is on fire and you can't wait to eat...
    I thought OP was on point until #6, which I blew off because I know meal timing doesn't matter, then #8 popped up and I'm trying to understand how water boosts metabolism. and will make me feel fuller (it just makes me not thirsty and need to pee).

Now I'm just in for gifs.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

glucose is needed by the brain, and glucose can be synthesized from carbs, fats, or protein.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Bread, sugar .. are not the problem
    Are you sure about that? What macronutrients do you get from sugar?
    Sugar is a carb........which happens to be a macronutrient.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    So it's good for you then? Oh.
    It's not bad for you either. Just about every living organism on Earth uses sugar one way or another.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Bread, sugar .. are not the problem
    Are you sure about that? What macronutrients do you get from sugar?
    Sugar is a carb........which happens to be a macronutrient.

IDEA Fitness member
    So it's good for you then? Oh.
    It's not bad for you either. Just about every living organism on Earth uses sugar one way or another.

IDEA Fitness member
    no.
    it must be an absolute answer, because there is no middle ground.

These keyboard warriors do not believe in middle ground.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Alright to settle the whole "you don't need carbs" debate. Your body stores the carbs you take in as glycogen and also converts excess to fat. Your preferred source of energy comes from glycogen stores in your liver and muscle tissue. If you stop eating carbs for a short period of time, your liver begins gluconeogenesis to maintain your blood glucose. After an extended period of time your body begins tapping into fat stores and undergoing ketogenesis as the acetyl-coA from metabolizing the fat can no longer be recycled in the Krebs cycle due to depletion of intermediates like oxaloacetate. The ketones generated are then taken up by your brain and used as fuel instead of its preferred source glucose.

Ketogenesis is like running your body on a back up generator so you don't slip into a coma from hypoglycemia. So yes, you can survive with no carbs as long as you have ample fat stores but it is not your body's preferred fuel source and as such you get often get irritable and lethargic.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Alright to settle the whole "you don't need carbs" debate. Your body stores the carbs you take in as glycogen and also converts excess to fat. Your preferred source of energy comes from glycogen stores in your liver and muscle tissue. If you stop eating carbs for a short period of time, your liver begins gluconeogenesis to maintain your blood glucose. After an extended period of time your body begins tapping into fat stores and undergoing ketogenesis as the acetyl-coA from metabolizing the fat can no longer be recycled in the Krebs cycle due to depletion of intermediates like oxaloacetate. The ketones generated are then taken up by your brain and used as fuel instead of its preferred source glucose.

Ketogenesis is like running your body on a back up generator so you don't slip into a coma from hypoglycemia. So yes, you can survive with no carbs as long as you have ample fat stores but it is not your body's preferred fuel source and as such you get often get irritable and lethargic.

to add into this reaching maximum glycogen storage is not realistic for the average person.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Wow, I hate reading long posts....me being lazy! But i read yours word for word......all I can say is that you've done an excellent job summerizing what this is all about! Any one and I mean ANY ONE WILL lose the weight and get the body they desire by following your principles.

We tend to over complicate things way too much. Breaking it down to the basics, that is what I needed to read today. THANKS!!!

Who said BOOM?
  • slw5X5
    slw5X5 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Wow, I hate reading long posts....me being lazy! But i read yours word for word......all I can say is that you've done an excellent job summerizing what this is all about! Any one and I mean ANY ONE WILL lose the weight and get the body they desire by following your principles.

We tend to over complicate things way too much. Breaking it down to the basics, that is what I needed to read today. THANKS!!!

Who said BOOM?

BOOM!
  • DatMurse
    Options

Who said BOOM?

BOOM!
    PROTEIN EVERYWHERE!
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Nice post :)