I just have to accept that I will always be fat

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Eat whatever you want, just eat less than you need to maintain and you will lose weight. Add in some workouts, something fun. You'll lose more weight. You don't need to do this "500 calorie" bull. Hell, I ate 800 calories just for breakfast today because I wanted to and it works for me and my goals.

Weight loss is one thing that can be made more complicated than it needs to be.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    If you really want to give up no one here will be able to change your mind. So, I guess if that is the case, don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out.

But, if you want to keep trying, give doing it right a whirl. Stop following ridiculous diet plans. You say you had trouble with TDEE but you were somehow able to figure out diet plans. TDEE is not hard to figure out.

Devote some time to learning how to eat properly for life instead of learning how to figure out whatever diet you're going to try next. Try fruit, veggies, whole grains, lean protein.

Get some physical activity.

I bet you can do it.
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    if you snack at night find low calorie options and fit them in your daily calories. examples air popcorn, grapes they are even better if you freeze them, mainly and fruit or veggie you can snack on and be ok. follow the tdee - 10 to 20% you will be fuller and happier and its also a lot easier to stick to than a diet. I don't diet I eat what I want in moderation and sometimes not in moderation. you will get there just be kind to yourself.
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Oh my goodness! I tried the 5: 2: diet and didn't last one day!

But it did learn two things about myself:

1. I now realise how important food is to me - I love cooking, planning meals, taking about food, shopping and eating!
    2. That I love the MFP plan! It makes healthy eating so easy!

I have no idea how people can will themselves to only eat 500 calories but I now know that counting is best for me.
    I don't want to see this as a fad diet but a change for life. Allow myself the odd treat here and there but on the whole be aware of my intake.

Please don't give up, you're just a normal person who enjoys food. We're all here to support you.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Why did you make this topic?

Because you know people are going to try to convince you not to give up, and really you do not want to give up. You just want to have a little pity party. It sounds like you have low self esteem (all this talk about being a failure) and you are actively playing out this pattern again now, by choosing "diets" that are pretty hard to do and pretty much impossible to sustain like the 5:2 thing. Change your story please, go read up on TDEE, don;t try to lose more than 1 lb a week, stop setting yourself up for failure (are you scared of succeeding?), and stop having pity parties.
  • kittykat925
    kittykat925 Posts: 64 Member

So I think I am going to tell myself that I have changed sonething rather than failed something.

YES! That's the way to look at it! You haven't failed anything...Just make small changes and in time you will see the progress that you have made.

Personally, I have been on here since 2011 and decided that this was going to be my year to finish what I started. I wiped out all of my old weigh in's, etc. and started with a clean slate for 2014; reminding myself that baby steps are what I need to succeed. Perhaps baby steps will work for you too...

YOU CAN DO THIS! :wink:
  • Mrs_Marvel
    Mrs_Marvel Posts: 39 Member
    Thought you would like to know that we have all been there. I started to lose weight in 2011. It took me 3 years to lose 108 pounds. I still have 26 more to go until I hit my goal. It pisses me off to no end seeing these people lose that amount in a 6 month period, so I understand the frustration of slow weight loss.

You don't want to be considered a failure I see. You are only a failure if you give up. Who cares if you **** up from time to time or even every other day? You screwed up and overate...so what. I just got over a 4 day binge after finding out I may have breast cancer. Last night alone, I ate 1200 calories OVER my daily goal. What matters is that you push through it no matter how long it takes to lose the weight or how hard it is.

For me, today was a new day. I reset my weight (up from 171 to 176 in 4 days) and "started over". The fantastic thing about weight: You can mess up, eat like crazy and in the end, it can be undone. It isn't going to last forever unless you let it.

A little advice: Get rid of this 5:2 thing. 500 calories a day is insanity (and NOT the fantastic workout I have heard so much about). Net at least 1200 daily.

Prove yourself wrong. For 2 weeks, net no less than 1200 calories a day. Take a wack at losing weight the correct way. If it doesn't work, you've only wasted 2 weeks of your life. If you don't see a change, make a new "I've giving up post" and I'll encourage you to throw in the towel.
  • kittykat925
    kittykat925 Posts: 64 Member
    Oh my goodness! I tried the 5: 2: diet and didn't last one day!

But it did learn two things about myself:

1. I now realise how important food is to me - I love cooking, planning meals, taking about food, shopping and eating!
    2. That I love the MFP plan! It makes healthy eating so easy!

I have no idea how people can will themselves to only eat 500 calories but I now know that counting is best for me.
    I don't want to see this as a fad diet but a change for life. Allow myself the odd treat here and there but on the whole be aware of my intake.

Please don't give up, you're just a normal person who enjoys food. We're all here to support you.

^^^ What she said is so true!
    And you really can eat anything you want to eat as long as it's in moderation. Feel free to look at my diary...I do enjoy food, but I'm honest with myself and I log everything I eat and my water intake as well.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Do you exercise?
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member

I've also started having diet drinks instead of anything full fat

Try replacing diet drink with water!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Well after finding out that a tiny wee bit of choccy is 300 calories I won't be eating it again .

You really really don't have to think like this! If you enjoy chocolate, find a way to incorporate it into your calories. I've lost all my weight still eating chocolate, pizza, ice cream you name it... I go by the mantra of all things in moderation!

If I had restricted myself from the things I loved I would not have made it this far and lost this weight.

This! Totally, Totally THIS!
    300 calories is more than a tiny, wee bit of chocolate. It's a LOT of chocolate! Or it's a little chocolate wrapped around peanuts and caramel and who knows what else, but chocolate itself is NOT that high in calories.

I have found that even though I don't like 99% of dark chocolates, I LOVE Green & Black's 85% cocoa. It's like eating chocolate cheesecake, very rich and tasty so a little goes a long way. I keep several bars at a time and eat six squares every day for about 120 or 160 calories. And dark chocolate is an appetite suppressant. I have it with a little peanut butter, but you can save calories by skipping that and still getting your chocolate fix.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    The dark chocolate bars I eat are literally 84cals each. I have one or two a day. So chocolate can be included in your everyday diet :smile: 300cals is a huge amount of chocolate.

Slow down and take stock of things. Maybe take a break and maintain for a little while and get your head straight.

I started not by taking things out of my diet (I use 'diet' as a noun, as in what you eat every day, not a verb), but by seeing what I could change/swap. Dark chocolate for milk chocolate, minimize added sugar or swapped for something like stevia, more water, more veges etc. It's a slow process, but worthwhile. The only 'diet' food I eat is skim lactose-free milk because I prefer the taste, and the occasional coke zero.

To be honest, I did 5:2 and it worked fine for me, but I wasn't doing it for the weight loss, it was more a mental thing for me. Yes, I lost the last few kgs with it, and that was awesome, but it suited my lifestyle. If it doesn't suit yours, that's okay! It's not a one-size fits all world :smile:

And to reiterate what at least 2 other people have said in this thread:- 5:2 is NOT 500cal every single day. It's just a different way to get your weekly deficit, that's all. It's a perfectly acceptable form of IF when done correctly. I maintain now with a mixture of 6:1 and 16:8 only because it suits my lifestyle and my goals and it's my natural style of eating.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    I have tried so many diets, I dont have the discipline, I LOVE food that is bad for me, it makes me feel full in a different way to anything else.

I will just always be fat, there is no other option for me. ......
    I give up, this is the end of my weight loss journey because I am just not good enough and I never ever will be.

Off to throw away my 'skinny' clothes.

There IS another option.

You could put back ON the 20+ kgs you have already taken off already. THEN put on another 40kg.

You could get so much bigger you are able to properly care for and interact with the 3 kids that you are no doubt a loving mother to.

You could pass poor eating habits onto them which would make their lives harder.

THAT is the other option. That is the accepting you will always be fat option.

Please see your doctor or a health professional about this. With three small kids to think of, don't go throwing in the towel just yet.
  • Be compulsive about calorie intake but ease up on it for nutrition, I am an insulin diabetic and have re set my goals on the my fit ness recommendations. You can customize your goals according to what meal plan fits you. ie. Low sugar, Diabeties, Atkins, more fat no carbs or sugars, lower your glycemic intake carbs and sugars for other food plans (as mine being diabetic). Or be honest and stick to My Fitness Recomdations and Pre set your meal plan # "1" add meal in advanced or 1 day in advanced you will already know what you can eat and will weigh in x amount of time or what food and calories you will need to drop off each meal to change your situation in advanced , if you follow their nutrition goal for you or yours. This doesnt happen over night, but "will" happen for you if you pick a nututrional "goal" and stick with it! "Exercise, walk etc. every day" and even get extra meal out of it!
    I promise you, Lynn 48 years old 38 years insulin dependent diabetic and 110 - lbs.
    Positive Thoughts coming your way. (:
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    If you\re having a really hard time with this it could be that you are restricting too much. Aim for one pound per week loss. It makes a big difference.
  • NO YOU ARE NOT,YOU CAN DO THIS.......
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    That 5:2 thing would never work for me. It's just a fad, and it 'a not necessary if it doesn't work for you. What works for me is eating more + exercising. I've tried low-calorie diets many times before, and always gave up after losing 10-15 pounds, because I was hungry, moody, and low-energy. It's possible to do this without making yourself miserable.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    That 5:2 thing would never work for me. It's just a fad, and it 'a not necessary if it doesn't work for you. What works for me is eating more + exercising. I've tried low-calorie diets many times before, and always gave up after losing 10-15 pounds, because I was hungry, moody, and low-energy. It's possible to do this without making yourself miserable.

Just a fad? Serious? What works for YOU is not certain to work for others. 5:2 is not a low calorie diet, it's a way of keeping a deficit easily while being able to enjoy eating. Otherwise your days are filled with constant counting of calories. It also is a fantastic way to maintain your goal weight & also the health benefits that come along with it are great.

We were not meant to graze all day with food. We were built to go hungry every now & then. This is that way of doing it safely.

Fad :noway:
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    I can't afford a therapist. I have one counsellor I go and see but she's 30 miles away and I can't afford to take the time out right now. That's my only option for a counsellor.

I think people forget that things like 'nutritional HCP' and counsellors are not easy to come by in the uk.

you know what is?

walking. for a half hour. twice a day. 5 days a week.

I hear that is super easy to get your hands on in the UK and can help you lose the first 30 pounds with barely any other effort.

QFT.

38lb gone in 6 months (it's TOM, so my ticker's slightly out) and all I've done is walk twice a day, five days a week and watched the diet as well, of course!
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    If your calorie limit is 500 calories that explains why you are hungry. Keep searching for a plan that will work for you and that you can live with. My daughter gained a huge amount with child #2. She tried to diet for two weeks, gave up and took up running. She lost 80 pounds and ran in 8 marathons. Not my solution but it worked for her. Good luck on finding what works for you!