Fit & Fun Sized Group ~ September '10 ~

Options
Hi,

This is a support group for petites (5'4") and under. It seems as if us shorties face some different battles trying to get healthy and loose weight. From finding clothes to staying motivated on exercise and diet we try to help each other along our journey.

I'm 5'2" and have struggled with my weight since motherhood. MFP and posting in the forums have really helped me get closer and closer to my goal weight of 135.

JAM

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I'm fun sized, but I'm at goal. Is that okay?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: I'm fun sized and have reached my goal weight but am continuing my journey to be more fit......I have been doing yoga almost every day ( a beginner workout), I ride my exercise bike while watching TV, do the "Gut 'N' Butt" exercises from the women 50+ thread, and walk a lot especially with my dogs.......... I'm trying to add more weight training for my upper body.....oh, and go to line dance classes three days a week. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and have been struggling to get rid of the last 15 pounds. I have been wanting to join another weigh-in group to help motivate me to stay on track all day long.
  • telle12345
    telle12345 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and trying to lose 19lbs! It's annoying how weight shows up so much more on us shorties!
    Would love to hear some tips and stories :-)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1". Can I join?

Right now I'm trying to maintain. I've gone lower on weight, but then I look and feel like c*** so it just isn't worth it. The hardest thing I find (besides getting half-way decent foods at restaurants, I'm always having to special order something) is finding clothes in smaller sizes.

I usually exercise 6-7 days/week. I know that I really should do more yoga, but I just can't seem do it.

Have a great day everyone.

Michele
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    I made it back to GA safely. Since I worked out w/my family yesterday and it is usually a rest day I decided to use today as my designated rest day. As a result, I kept today's workout very light. Instead of taking the train from my concourse to baggage claim I opted to walk. As I stated in previous posts, Atlanta's airport is really big so to walk from a concourse to baggage claim is about a mile. In addition to walking I was pulling my 20 lb suitcase and carrying a shoulder bag. My back has really been bothering me all weekend so once I get settled I'm going to do some stretching to see if that will help.

I'm 5'4 and have been a part of this group for months now. I'm happy to see some new faces.
  • marilla
    marilla Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see that this group is still going. I have been on and off the wagon with my weight loss, but the people on here are very inspirational. It's nice to hear from people who have some of the same challenges. Good luck to all.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: When I was wearing sizes larger than size 16 I thought life would be easier when I lost weight :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: then I found out that there are problems finding clothes in other sizes.......many things don't come in sizes smaller than medium or size 6 but at least now, the clothes I wear don't make me want to cry.

:flowerforyou: Choco, I love how your "rest" day included walking over a mile carrying luggage...you are amazing and inspiring.

:flowerforyou: Marilla, it is so good to hear from you again......each day is a new beginning.....the day after my pizza pigout it felt so good to log onto MFP and look at the new day's food diary completely blank and waiting for better choices.

:flowerforyou: Michele, I did yoga again this morning and found it relaxing (sometimes I fall asleep at the end during the quiet "rest" and don't hear that it's time to sit up again :laugh: one of my goals this month is to eat at home so I don't have to deal with special ordering in restaurants.

:flowerforyou: telle, you are right about it being more of a challenge to lose weight when you're shorter......but we look so much cuter that it's worth it.

:flowerforyou: waguchan, there are so very inspiring exercisers on this thread.....good luck to you

:flowerforyou: Macmadame, you are one of the inspiring exercisers.....glad to see you

It's raining and the dogs want to go to the dog park and I want to go for a walk :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    About buying clothes in smaller sizes, I found that you have to know where to shop. Basically, shop where the short and thin people live!

For example, the Macy's at the mall in my home town doesn't carry much below size 4. They carry some, but not a lot. But the next town over has a mall with a Macy's and they have a lot more size 0 and 2 clothes. I think people are richer there and richer people tend to be thinner.

Other stores that have smaller sizes:

H&M (but no petite sizes)
    Talbots
    J Jill (but overpriced IMO)
    Nordstroms
    Petite Sophisticate
    5-7-9
    Any store that caters to teens (Hollister, Tilly's Aeropostle, etc.)

Stores where the sizes run larger:
    Christopher Banks
    New York & Co
    JC Penney
    Discount stores like Wal-mart, Kohl's, Sears, etc.

Because I used to only shop at Lane Bryant, JC Penney's and Macy's, when I got to goal, I had to learn to shop. I made a list of all the stores and I am slowing going into each one, deciding if they have my size and style and moving them onto a list of "Good", "Okay", and "Avoid". I feel like a dumb kid when it comes to clothes, but I'm getting better. I admire women who seem to know these things automatically.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good morning and happy Tuesday! A quick post because I have to get on my work grind. As I stated in a previous post we are under a very tight deadline. I decided to workout at the gym today instead of w/a dvd. I completed 20 min on the treadmill and 20 min on the elliptical. It's amazing how you can lose things if you've not done it in a while. Running on the treadmill was very difficult today so I know it's going to take a minute to rebuild my endurance.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I'm fun sized, but I'm at goal. Is that okay?

Absolutely! Welcome MacMadame! I can't wait to hear about your next race.

JAM
  • jam0525
    Options
    Welcome to all the newcomers! We're glad to have you all here posting with us. I will try to respond individually later.

DS has a soccer game today after work and I have time to go to the gym and workout first. Wish me luck at doing something other than the stationary bike! I will try to be adventurous today.

JAM
  • jam0525
    Options
    MacMadame, Barbie and Michelle – It is so fantastic that you have made your goal and are in maintenance mode. Yes, we'd love to have you all post in this thread.

Waguchan – Welcome! We are about the same height and at about the same place. I'm 5'2" and have the final 10 pounds to go.

Telle12345 – Welcome. The best tip is to honestly track what you eat and your exercise everyday. I think that is the best starting point for everyone. Once you see where you are and what you are doing to weigh what you do, then you can start changing things.

Marilla – Welcome back. I think we all have ups and downs. There is a lot of support here for you.

Choco – I'm glad you got back to Atlanta safely and I hope you enjoyed your rest day.

MacMadame – Thanks for the list of stores. I find that sporting goods store carry smaller sizes too, but not a lot of petites.

Now I can work with a clear mind. I've said a proper hello to all. lol

JAM(Jeannie)
  • exermom
    Options
    MacMadame - Unfortunately, down here in the south, you're REAL, REAL lucky if you can find a 4. There's usually only one 6, maybe two 8's and lots of 10's and 12's. I need the 6, sometimes I can even take the 4 (that is, IF they have them). Down here people tend to be large, and I don't mean on the petite side! Our Wal-Mart doesn't carry petites, the JC Penney and Sears do, both have a SMALL department. I, too, am getting to know which stores have a petite department. The Kohl's has one, again, very small. I don't know what the buyer is thinking, everything is so dark. I'm small on top so I need a light colored top and I'd prefer something with some color in it. All the tops are so dark. I have big hips, they do carry blue, black, and brown pants. Darker pants don't do me much good unless I have a lighter top. Ahh...the problems we face!

Michele
  • exermom
    Options
    Have you noticed that the sizes of clothes have gotten bigger over the years. Like I have a pair of shorts, they are a size 10. Really, they're a LITTLE bit big but not outrageous. I'd still be seen in public in them. I have had these shorts for at least 15 if not more years.

Recently, I bought a pair of Liz Claiborne shorts, size 10. I thought for sure they were going to fall off me! The Salvation Army got them

This is something that doesn't help me any, since I need smaller sizes and things are getting bigger. Oh well....I'll just have to try on and on......guess life COULD be worse :)

Michele
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I told my thin friend that I was having trouble finding small enough clothes and she said Nordstrom's had lots of size 0,2,4.........besides being two hours and two bridges away from Nordstrom's, I was thinking about some more reasonable priced clothes.....finally I found three pairs of size four Levis at a local store one town away........my new Tinkerbell hooded sweatshirt size extra small came from the Disney Store in a mall in Southern California when we were on our trip :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: the rain was gone today so DH got to cut the grass and I got to do my garden puttering and take the dogs to the dog park......I just finished walking up and down the hall for awhile to get to 10,000 steps on my pedometer......DH is still walking while he watches the Seattle Mariners with a 7-2 lead over Oakland. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good morning and happy hump day! Back is still bothering me but not nearly as bad as it has been. I got up at 5 am and completed Cardio Power and Resistance from the Insanity program. I know my workouts are all over the place this last week and a half but my mini vacay has thrown me off plus I think I've regained some weight so I'm wanting to incorporate more cardio workouts into my routine to try and take it off as quickly as possible. I haven't weighed in yet b/c I'm wanting all the reminants of TOM to disappear before stepping on the scale. Overall my clothes are still fitting but something just doesn't feel right which makes me think it's the regaining of some unwanted weight......I guess all those dangs Tostitos has really caught up with me.

I'm sorry to learn so many ppl are struggling to find clothes that fit them correctly. Thankfully this is not a problem I've experienced. I've consistently been a size 6 for the better part of this year and have found my size w/o a problem.
  • jam0525
    Options
    Our Walmart does carry small sizes but only in certain brands like Danskin in their athletic department. I got a lot of $3 tops there over the last month. Nothing fancy, just plain colored tees. I've also found a lot of stuff in Sports Authority.

Oh well, we just got a bird in our chimney, so I better go chase it out.

JAM
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I buy clothes online a lot. Some places offer free return shipping for clothes, like Zappos and Amazon.com.
  • jam0525
    Options
    Getting the bird out ended up being a 15 minute ordeal going up and down stairs trying to keep both the bird dog (Peggy) and the 2 cats from catching the bird before I did. I caught the dog and literally had to drag her out of the house as she was pointing at the wood stove. Then I had to alternate keeping the new fat cat downstairs and the old cat upstairs but away from the bird. I caught the bird by the tale and put it outside where it's extended family swooped down on me and they all took off together. (It was a whole flock that came down on my when the bird started chirping) I hope the bird is OK and learned it's lesson about avoiding stove pipes.

JAM