My 600 lbs life

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Just watched the penny episode. So frustrating to listen to her say she's tried so hard. No she hasn't. And to say her son sees what she's willing to do for him.. sad. My roommate just had gastric sleeve on Friday. Before, she wasn't eating healthy. Ill be making sure she watches this episode.

Me : NO SURGERY. JUST EATING LESS AND MOVING MORE.
  • Mickeyinfinite
    Mickeyinfinite Posts: 22 Member
    I love this show, I find it motivates me to stay on track.

I do agree that at least 3 of the patients so far were soooo anoying.

The guy this week, Chuck, who just kept refusing to help his wife around the house.
    Then there were another 2 women who were driving me crazy, especially the one with the son, I thought the doctor was going to punch her lights out LOL.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    I just watched a marathon of this yesterday. I seriously wanted to punch Penny in the mouth. I have never ever seen someone so ungrateful and in denial. What sucks is that someone else in this world would give anything to have been in her shoes, and she basically treated it like it was a boring vacation. Just proves that you truly can't help someone if they don't help themselves!!!!
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    I've got to watch this.
  • darkrose20
    The Learning Channel.. making you stupider every minute you watch.

why?

Is that a real question? Oh I see TLC has already had an effect on you.

seriously though, look at their programming.

This thread isn't about TLC and whether or not you like it.... but thanks for your opinions anyways

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know you get to dictate where the discussion of an open forum goes.

She doesn't, but the guidelines do.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Specifically point number 2

"2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting
    Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community."

Just thought I'd be helpful and try to avoid a smackdown/drama/fight/whatever you kids are calling it these days. :flowerforyou:

Have a nice day. Carry on.
  • ugottafriend
    ugottafriend Posts: 97 Member
    darkrose20 for the win.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    I think it's one thing if you have a feeder/eater fetish relationship... and while I don't think it's healthy from a physical standpoint, I don't think it's necessarily ILL of a person to enjoy a fetish. You can have that fetish and still be healthy psychologically. It comes down to what you do and what you eat, and how much you indulge in that fetish.

Personally, I have a hard time facing these types of shows because at my heaviest, I was just shy of 500 pounds... and was nowhere near bedridden. Sure, my body was not at peak condition, and I wasn't small... and granted, I'm taller than a significant portion of the female population, so it hangs differently... But I see these people that have become blobs in bed that are not that much more than I was (and sometimes, the shows feature people that weigh LESS than I did!) and think to myself, how do you move so little for so long that your muscles atrophy to the point where you can't move yourself?

I mean, sure, after a certain point, the fat hangs too far or the gravity is too much or whatever, and I'm aware of cases where people break their own legs trying to stand because they are so heavy, but I feel like, if you keep trucking, if you keep walking... Your body does, to a certain extent, build muscles to combat the weight and heft it along.

I don't have much sympathy for people that are marketing their weight for television time. I'll admit that I occasionally wonder what it would be like, if they would ever put someone like me on there... Someone that didn't incite outrage out how immobile and disgusting they've become.

Let's represent a different view of the 400+ pound person. One that doesn't reaffirm the idea that everyone that heavy is just a big beach ball. One that shows that things aren't hopeless, and that surgery isn't the only option.
    Oh wait, that doesn't get the ratings. And that's where the issue with the channel comes in. If it was about learning, they would be focusing on cases where you could actually learn something about the person and their efforts, rather than learn how depressing and hopeless it all seems.
  • RusticDreams
    RusticDreams Posts: 19 Member
    Speaking of the 650 pound virgin yea he gained all his weight back..... but holy jesus look at his girlfriend she is gorgeous! He seems like a really nice person. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151563802087411&set=a.10150683704697411.384920.207608272410&type=1&theater
    and Penny..... I had to stop watching very irritating.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    I'm not sure how this woman was even psychologically cleared to under-go this surgery. She obviously wasn't prepared to handle or dedicate herself to the life changes. She has convinced herself she is disabled. Münchausen Syndrome.

I'm jumping in without reading the rest of the comments, but I'm betting this one is about Penny.

The family members are equally to blame. He brought her an entire sheet pan of mini meatloafs and two saucepans of side dishes and said he doesn't think she eats a lot. The partners and family members are also overweight, just not to that extreme. Healthy eating is just not a habit for any of them, and when a woman hasn't walked in years yet gained 200 additional pounds in that time, her family is just as much to blame. I didn't see the episode in yesterday's marathon where the woman died 9 months after surgery because she put on several hundred more pounds and had a heart attack. She had people sneaking her food in through her bedroom window and her youngest daughter sneaking behind the oldest daughter's back to bring her buckets of fried chicken which she ate entirely as well as her weight maintenance meal.

Food addiction can be just as deadly as drug addiction.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 for the win.

Thank you!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    I think you are missing the difference between health care system and paid for by the local TV station.

The new episode will be played again next Tuesday before the new episode is played.

Thank you! There IS a huge difference.

This thread is reminding me of an episode "True Life" which was on MTV back in the day... It was about having gastric bypass surgery. The show didn't pay for the procedures. It just followed people. It showed one person that got it, one person that was struggling, and one person that had a F THIS attitude, saying surgery would be when he started trying... THAT show stated that the final story was "Still pending approval for surgery" because he hadn't demonstrated the psychological preparation necessary.

Now, weightloss surgery is marketed as an elective surgery as well as medically necessary. Remember the LAP Band? When it first came out, there were commercials marketing it as an affordable solution to calm the "tiger" that was your hunger, for moms on the go and busy people. That it was easily adjustable, no permanent damage, yada yada... So people wanting to lose just a little bit thought, I'll get that and it'll work better than pills or willpower. In essence, they are right, but the mass-marketing of the product for regular consumption has encouraged a casual attitude about the surgeries.

I investigated it for myself because of the mix of issues I have going on. At the seminar, there were all walks of life. The surgeons giving the seminar said that the person that would get the surgery clearance the easiest is the person on Medicaid, especially when their disability or qualification for Medicaid was directly related to being extremely heavy. That being said, that person still had a 3+ month wait time, and had to jump through hoops, just not as many hoops as some insurance coverage.

However, if a person wants to pay out of pocket (which is what happens with these shows), there are no hoops to jump through. The psychological hurdles, the weightloss prior to surgery requirements, the support system, all of that is stuff required by insurance companies first and foremost. The doctor can refuse to do the surgery but in the end, it's a product that they are selling. It's not even so much about I don't care if you're ready, I just want your money... It's that they don't have as many requirement to fulfill when it's 100% out of pocket.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    I watch My 600 lb Life from time to time. It has the same effect on me as Hoarders: Buried Alive for cleaning the house. After watching My 600 lb Life, I feel even more motivated to work out.

Penny's episode was one of the worst I've seen on TLC...and yes, that channel is hilariously misnamed.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member

why?

This thread isn't about TLC and whether or not you like it.... but thanks for your opinions anyways

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know you get to dictate where the discussion of an open forum goes.

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community."

Just thought I'd be helpful and try to avoid a smackdown/drama/fight/whatever you kids are calling it these days. :flowerforyou:

It wasn't really a big threadjack at all. Wasn't like he switched from My 600 lb Life to talking about recent trends in the stock market. He made a post about the channel that airs My 600 lb Life, which can be an appropriate transition depending on what poster want to talk about. Considering this is the Chit Chat Forum, which tends to be looser as far as discussions, I don't see what he did wrong at all.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    I always find it interesting when some 400 pound mother teases her daughter for what she eats.
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    I was so mad after watching that show. Her lack of insight and responsibility was infuriating! I have a question though, should they not be followed by a dietician with a meal plan to help faciltate a healthy relationship with food? I know someone who had the surgery and she still didn't make healthier choices, she ended up not losing weight and gained more. I'm just really surprised there isn't more follow up. Maybe I'm wrong, just what I've seen.
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    It's not so much about the follow up - I think the problem is that the doctors are allowing them to have the surgery BEFORE making sure the patient understands & deals with the issues surrounding their eating habits. Just because you cut out someone's stomach doesn't erase the emotional triggers or the lifelong habits they've built up.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Most of these people have deep mental disorders, and it's actually doing them a disservice to give them a surgery without addressing the surrounding issues.

This show, even for it's gems, takes advantage of people with problems.

might as well make a show as to why someone with severe downs can't be an astrophysicist even though they filled their room with the appropriate course materials.
  • Does anybody watch this show..
    OMG.. I was watching it, last night, I really got pissed off..
    Silly husband, should have fed his wife rabbit food and let her starve.

How does anybody gain 5lbs after surgery.

She was insane...

UGH YES!!! I wanted to throw something at the TV. She acts like she's a freaking victim that she's trying so hard etc etc etc and then she eats freaking fried wontons? Are you kidding me? The husband was equally as clueless but at some point you have to learn basics, like deep frying is not healthy. cake isn't healthy.

She complained about not being given any direction when discharged. Are you kidding? I've NEVER heard a grown woman complain and victimize herself so much in my life. Her son is going to be paying for her actions the rest of his life. I was particularly outraged when she said that "all moms miss out on their child's activities." yeah, most moms aren't able to be at every event for their child. but you can bet your butt that if I miss an event it's not because I can't get out of my bed because I'm too busy eating fried wontons and cake and 8 pieces of ham and a pound of mashed potatoes.

Not only does the husband enable her, but they are also on disability as he is her full time caretaker neither of them can work. Umm.... I am not always one to scream "who's paying for this?" but in this case i am as this is entirely preventable. The woman doesn't want help and is a drain on the people who even tried to help her.

My husband usually does the grocery shopping and while I'm perfectly capable of shopping or getting my own junk food he doesn't even buy ice cream because he knows I'll eat that crap right up for breakfast lunch and dinner. Not having it in the house makes me have to go out and get it as an honest to God treat and not something to indulge in for 500 calories a night, every night.

I can't even verbalize how mad I am...

in any case the woman on the first episode is incredible. Absolutely incredible. She lost and maintained her loss and now helps other people considering the surgery. She knows the surgery wasn't the answer but used it as a tool in her arsenal to lead a healthy life.

^THIS! My sentiments exactly. You took the words right out of my mouth... right down to the spiel about wontons!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member

why?

It wasn't really a big threadjack at all. Wasn't like he switched from My 600 lb Life to talking about recent trends in the stock market. He made a post about the channel that airs My 600 lb Life, which can be an appropriate transition depending on what poster want to talk about. Considering this is the Chit Chat Forum, which tends to be looser as far as discussions, I don't see what he did wrong at all.

The Learning Channel started as programming to be shown in classrooms. They then changed their name to TLC about a decade ago, and in doing so branch out in their programming and get bigger audiences because the educational shows weren't bringing in the numbers. They switched to a more family-centric programming model (remember Trading Spaces?), and now it's just morphed into a network full of reality shows and shows focusing on subcultures. I don't think commenting on the demise of the former Learning Channel is really much of a threadjack when we're talking about a show that focuses on sensationalizing an issue rather than providing education and information on the subject. The baby shows they put on in the morning are probably the closest thing to educational that the network has left in their line-up.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    They said people in her community raised money for her to do this. I wonder if she lost friends when this show aired.