Need serious help with SUGAR!!!!

Options

Replies

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I am trying judicious consumption of sugar/sugary treats. A skimpy version of the "moderation" suggested by those of you who laugh at the idea of sugar addiction. I think that first piece of cake will result in the exact same compulsion to have more, lots more. But I'm hoping that by avoiding complete abstinence I won't get that feeling that I am "entitled" to lots more.
    I can't have any of it right now, but the worst thing is when you eat some sugary thing, and then you say to yourself, why did I eat that? It wasn't even that good. I am not going back to that, ever, although I don't think I will totally avoid sugar. There is fruit on the plan I am on now.
  • Missabled
    Options
    It's not just sugar, because sugar is just a carb. It's probably all refined carbs that are contributing to this for you. If you cut out all refined carbs (white bread, white pasta, white rice, cookies, cakes, candy etc.) you will have much better luck than just isolating sugar.

^^^^ ???? THIS
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    45125683.jpg
  • perseverance14
    Options
    Hi there! I can totally relate. I started back on this app the first week of Jan. I seriously love sugar and chocolate.
    The thing that I've been doing is not buying sweets. At all. Even though my hubby and kids nag me about it.
    Then…. if I'm craving sweets I have to make it from scratch. Somehow by doing this i can really see what goes into it. 2 cups of sugar for a cake. Frosting is all butter and sugar. So.. when I'm eating it after I've made it I'm looking at the frosting and I can really taste the butter and sugar and I know it's bad. It helps my sweet fix but I don't go overboard.
    It doesn't matter if I don't buy them, my husband and son buy them, but I have done a lot of baking and I know...I think it really is a mind thing, what we think we don't need, we don't need. I am in the house with them and they are not on my plan and I am not eating them.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Alcoholics are given sugar when they have the DTs because it is the sugar in the alcohol that their bodies are craving.

Pretty sure it's the alcohol.

Caffeine is also used in alcohol detox, and there ain't much of that in alcohol.

Gee whiz.
    I was talking about ACTIVE alcoholics I have known in my life, when they were not drinking, they were eating things like candy, ice cream, etc.

Most alcoholics don't drink 24/7, the ones I have known eat sugar on the "off" days.

I wasn't replying to anything you posted, so I have no idea what you were referring to.

The reason alcoholics get dips in blood sugar when they stop drinking is that the body ceases to maintain normal blood glucose levels when it tries to rid itself of alcohol. This is also why most people will binge eat after consuming large amounts of alcohol.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    45125683.jpg
    "Alcohol can also negatively impact blood sugar levels each time that it is consumed, regardless of the frequency of consumption. Research has shown that acute consumption increases insulin secretion, causing low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), and can also impair the hormonal response that would normally rectify the low blood sugar. Drinking as little as 2 ounces of alcohol on an empty stomach can lead to very low blood sugar levels. This makes alcohol an even bigger problem for anyone with diabetes. Along with the impact on blood sugar, studies have also shown that alcohol can impact the effectiveness of the hypoglycemic medications, so extreme caution needs to be taken when consuming alcohol by anyone with diabetes. http://www.medicinenet.com/alcohol_and_nutrition/page4.htm "

So, that is probably part of it, if your blood sugar is low you crave sugar. BUT, I also think there is something to it affecting the same sensors, NOT saying it is the same as alcohol, geez.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    I wasn't replying to anything you posted, so I have no idea what you were referring to.

The reason alcoholics get dips in blood sugar when they stop drinking is that the body ceases to maintain normal blood glucose levels when it tries to rid itself of alcohol. This is also why most people will binge eat after consuming large amounts of alcohol.
    I was having a conversation about it with the person that the person you replied to replied to. Now, say that 10 times really fast.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Gotcha.

Maybe one day people will begin to understand that having gone through something doesn't make you an expert on its mechanism or effects.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I can't have any of it right now, but the worst thing is when you eat some sugary thing, and then you say to yourself, why did I eat that? It wasn't even that good. I am not going back to that, ever, although I don't think I will totally avoid sugar. There is fruit on the plan I am on now.

I "use" sugar when I am feeling like my blood sugar is lowish and I am about to do something where I want to be at my best, including not putting anything hard to digest in my stomach. Typically it is before or during sports. So far so good. I have also "used" sugar on many occasions when I want to extend my ability to concentrate. Much more dangerous.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    in…because I have been in ever other sugar addiction thread...
  • CarMid9
    Options
    I have felt exactly what you have written. I have felt like I have an addiction. I think that was just me making excuses for when I ate bad. Not that it's been long since really trying to change things. It's only been a couple weeks...and I can't say I've been perfect. The first few days I had a bad headache but since then I feel great. I just always have a water bottle and every time I think about food I take a drink. I have a 24 oz Costco water bottle and I have been drinking at least 4 of them a day. It seems to be helping and helping me get the water I need each day. Good luck and stay strong!!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - this will shock you I know ..but you can eat sugar and lose weight, just make sure that you hit your macro targets and eat in a caloric deficit.

the 80/20 rule is helpful…808% healthy, 20% whatever you want ..ice cream, pizza, cookies, etc…

Labeling foods as "bad" is a sure fire way to end up on the path of repeated failure.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Actually, now, looking at the list of courses, none of them seem to be about research in any capacity. Maybe epidemiology, sort of, but not really. None of them have anything to do with clinical research, publication, interpretation of results, etc. They're all simply didactic courses about learning facts, not learning anything about the actual process of science.

Rather than critiquing someone's course load, would it be too much to ask to actually quote the passages from the researchers that you think support your position? For what it's worth, I don't see people misrepresenting what the students that performed the study in question said, at least in their press release. For example, from the professor supervising the research:
    "This correlated well with our behavioral results and lends support to the hypothesis that high-fat/ high sugar foods can be thought of as addictive," said Schroeder.

While I agree the fox news article isn't the best source to cite to, you aren't citing to any source whatsoever. You're simply attacking the person you disagree with and their coursework.

Hahaha exactly. They just LOVE starting drama and picking fights anywhere they find possible. Thanks buddy!

"Jonnythan" or whatever the hell his name is life revolves around attacking me on every single forum possible. It's okay, I've requested he be removed from the site multiple times for not only attacking me, but a number of other individuals who don't agree with his opinions. He simply can't handle people not agreeing with him or not being right for once in his precious life. :)

And yet I'm still here.

You referred to a Fox News post about a press release about an unpublished study without peer review as "scientific proof." I'm not the only one who saw the absurdity of that.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Yes and YES. I battle too and you have to go cold turkey and never look back. Look at it as a cocaine addiction. Do it once and you are back in your cycle. Trust me. It will take a week or two, but you will notice your whole frame of mind change, you will become more peaceful and the cravings will go away. That means the white breads and stuff like that too. Don't even go there.

so you eat zero sugar…no carbs, bread, pasta, fruit, honey,etc????

what the hell do you eat then?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    While I agree the fox news article isn't the best source to cite to, you aren't citing to any source whatsoever. You're simply attacking the person you disagree with and their coursework.

Hahaha exactly. They just LOVE starting drama and picking fights anywhere they find possible. Thanks buddy!

"Jonnythan" or whatever the hell his name is life revolves around attacking me on every single forum possible. It's okay, I've requested he be removed from the site multiple times for not only attacking me, but a number of other individuals who don't agree with his opinions. He simply can't handle people not agreeing with him or not being right for once in his precious life. :)

really?

why because he does not agree with your sugar addiction claims or other magical weight loss prescriptions?

He is not on my FL or anything, but most of his advice is sound and grounded in science. I don't see why that would make you want to report him ….
  • MyNameIsRita
    Options
    You need a lifestyle change. For me it only worked the first day I went to the gym. I worked hard and when I got home I was still super motivated and didnt want to ruin all my hard work with food. So I havent touched sugar and carbs like pasta bread rice etc in a week and I feel better than ever. This is my new life. I dont even crave them anymore. Because I am working out hard and I dont want to ruin everything with the diet. And I get home so tired I am not even that hungry... I just eat because I KNOW I have to. So, lots of protein, healthy fats, and carbs from veggies. Try it!! Change your life, if everything else is the same, your habits will stay the same :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I highly recommend the 21 Day Sugar Detox. It's a book written by Diane Sanfilippo. This is her website: http://balancedbites.com/21dsd. I'm on day 18 and I can't believe how my cravings for sugar and carbs have all but disappeared without "suffering".

negative ghostrider…

I would say this is worst advice in thread, but this is on page two…so I have a lot more derp to come through ...
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Alcoholics are given sugar when they have the DTs because it is the sugar in the alcohol that their bodies are craving.

Pretty sure it's the alcohol.

Caffeine is also used in alcohol detox, and there ain't much of that in alcohol.

Gee whiz.

Pretty sure huh? You a recovering alcoholic? You work in rehab? If you have no idea what you are talking about, its a pretty good idea to keep quiet.

All the people going through DT's that I have seen and it's a lot aren't craving sugar they are wondering what that man is doing standing in the corner of his cell or why there are so many spiders on the ceiling ... but I digress this thread is no longer a help to the OP as there is too much BS for her to weed through ... as entertaining as it is and I say that with the utmost respect to you all! :flowerforyou:
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    btw alcoholics and drug addicts don't "recover" - they abstain - if they use again they are back to square one
  • reneeis22
    Options
    I totally understand. I just went back on MFP last week and joined a gym. I never finish what I start, but am determined to try my best to stay on a healthy lifestyle this time. I only get to go to the gym twice a week, so I'm doing tapes or TV fitness shows the other three days. I've been logging my food and getting back into exercise. My husband came home with a strawberry rhubarb pie, which I love. I don't want to blow it, so I decided I'd have it. If I know I CAN'T have something, it's all I'd think about. He cut the pie into eight slices. At night, my daughter and I split one slice, so I'm having what I crave, but have 1/16th of a pie, which is fine. I also log it it in under Snacks in the morning, before I start eating, so it's in there, and I can work the rest of the day around it. May sound crazy to some, but I'd rather have that slice to look forward to than food. By knowing I can have my pie, it's really helped me from cheating on junk the rest of the day. I eat it slowly, take tiny bites, and savor each one. Good Luck! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts. You can do it!